Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550144 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #5265 on: February 17, 2012, 06:24:16 pm »

Giving the various bandit groups tatoos or some other indentifying mark and having the player remove that could work.

Because the bandits have to have /some/ method of recognising each other, there's about six thousand of them, they need to know who to actually rob.
*Hugs*

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5266 on: February 17, 2012, 06:33:48 pm »

I have to wonder the feasibility of a random name generator for generic NPCs. I've not looked at the new scripting features for Skyrim but if possible that'd be pretty neat...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: February 17, 2012, 06:43:07 pm »

Giving the various bandit groups tatoos or some other indentifying mark and having the player remove that could work.

Because the bandits have to have /some/ method of recognising each other, there's about six thousand of them, they need to know who to actually rob.

I bet Skyrim's economy is actually driven by an elaborate system of different bandit clans robbing each other. Rovin'omics.
Love, scriver~

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: February 17, 2012, 06:48:30 pm »

I bet SkyrimAmerica's economy is actually driven by an elaborate system of different bandit clans corporations robbing each other. Rovin'omics.

fixed that for you
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: February 17, 2012, 07:16:40 pm »

I've thought of this too, and while it's a good solution for bounties on criminal organizations such as the Camonna Tong or the Riften Thieves' Guild, it doesn't make sense for everyone who is the target of a quest to have an identifying tattoo.  Even if other identifying factors are used, it would still draw attention if the player character knew to decapitate a hermit living in a cave because his head would be needed for a quest later (or worse, if they had to backtrack to the location of the kill after receiving the quest, breaking the flow of gameplay for a minor improvement in realism).  In the end, if the developer wants to avoid telepathic questgivers the only solutions are case-by-case rather than systematic, as explaining an otherwise accepted break from reality with a new unrealistic element often breaks the player's immersion more than leaving it alone.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: February 17, 2012, 07:17:01 pm »

Steward would also work.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: February 17, 2012, 07:28:12 pm »

I bet Skyrim's economy is actually driven by an elaborate system of different bandit clans robbing each other. Rovin'omics.

Yeah, bandits are not known for their respect and trust for their bandit fellas. Members in a bandit clan work together (which is still for personal gain) but that's all. Is there an Alliance of Free Cooperative Bandits or something like that I don't know?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: February 17, 2012, 07:29:15 pm »

This last week I've finally been able to play some Skyrim and have been having fun.

I really like your idea Neyvn. It bugged me when I realised I could have got a little extra gold if I'd gone and got the quest before killing some bandits.

I assume the major cities scout their area of influence and would find your dead bandits. I'd imagine they'd be happy to pay out if you managed to describe the massacre you left behind. This could be some sort of explanation at least. Either that or have them carry bandit's union cards.

One other solution would be to just give the leader some identifying item like a piece of jewellery that would work as proof.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: February 17, 2012, 07:31:38 pm »

Yeah, bandits are not known for their respect and trust for their bandit fellas. Members in a bandit clan work together (which is still for personal gain) but that's all. Is there an Alliance of Free Cooperative Bandits or something like that I don't know?
Eh, you can run from Riften to Solitude and amass about 100 bandits behind you, I think they're unionised.
*Hugs*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: February 17, 2012, 07:38:19 pm »

I'd hate to see what their scabs look like.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: February 17, 2012, 07:41:58 pm »

Eh, you can run from Riften to Solitude and amass about 100 bandits behind you, I think they're unionised.

A guy running around in expensive armor, wielding an expensive weapon. I think that should attract more attention than fur wielding bandits. If they kill you, I'm sure there will be a big fight until there is a last man standing to get the loot :D

If your character is female, she won't wear a lot of armor though. It is a known fact that the less armor a woman wears and exposes more skin, more protection they will get. All these fantasy or medieval age videogames, movies and animes can't be wrong.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: February 17, 2012, 07:51:07 pm »

If your character is female, she won't wear a lot of armor though. It is a known fact that the less armor a woman wears and exposes more skin, more protection they will get. All these fantasy or medieval age videogames, movies and animes can't be wrong.
One of these days someone is going to put realistic armor on women that looks almost identical to male armor. That person will suddenly become my hero forever for not being an erotic idiot. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: February 17, 2012, 08:14:23 pm »

One of these days someone is going to put realistic armor on women that looks almost identical to male armor. That person will suddenly become my hero forever for not being an erotic idiot. :P
I saw these on Something for Nobody.  I don't know if they're compatible with the current version, though.
http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3296
http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3681
http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3146

This is a real problem that seems to have developed at Bethesda.  Back during Morrowind, sex appeal was never shoehorned into the game.  Now we've got stupid things like boob armor and argonians with breasts whose only justification is to sell more copies to the increasingly juvenile audience.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: February 17, 2012, 08:17:47 pm »

There was a great blog somewhere that looked at armoured women in video games, films and such like, that was fun to read.

And by fun I mean it's worrying how some a lot of people don't understand that armour is supposed to cover vulnerable flesh, not accentuate curves.

There is a mod that replaces female armour with the male ones to makes it more realistic and less like these warriors are gearing for a photoshoot.

EDIT: Welp, ninja'd.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: February 17, 2012, 08:24:55 pm »

This is a real problem that seems to have developed at Bethesda.  Back during Morrowind, sex appeal was never shoehorned into the game.  Now we've got stupid things like boob armor and argonians with breasts whose only justification is to sell more copies to the increasingly juvenile audience.

Let's be fair though. In every prior game, models were so ugly it's like the artists beat them mercilessly with the ugly stick. Now that Bethesda has models that aren't completely hideous (some are still quite hideous) I'm sure they want to play that card. Yeah, it's still a trend in every AAA studio but.....for the most part ES is still incredibly tasteful compared to the worst offenders. There may be boob armor and boobs on stuff you don't think should have boobs....but there's no slut armor anywhere in the game that I can remember.
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 896