Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558420 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #5520 on: March 18, 2012, 07:15:02 am »

It's a modern RPG by a large company. There's a reason things like Wasteland 2 needed a kickstarter: It's hard to do much innovative or even clever when you've got shareholders barking down your neck screaming "MUST BE 5% MORE RADICAL! What do kids like these days? Pokemons? Can we work a pokemons into this somehow?".

I get the feeling contracting New Vegas to Obsidian was a clever way of getting a game under the investors nose...and Obsidian got majorly shafted by that deal.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:20:07 am by MorleyDev »

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #5521 on: March 18, 2012, 07:41:53 am »

I've played skyrim, for an hour, reminds me of a beauty pagant contestant, pretty, does some funny tricks, copies a set pattern of trends in the average, cant hold a coversation for a prize, and is stupid enough to answer "because war is bad" after the smartass judge asks why she said she'd wish for "world peace".

If there was a RPG that let you hold any kind of conversation with npcs, do anything you want with the most realistic consequences, and barely gives you a clear main quest or doesnt shows you where stuff is or gives you a vague it could be somewhere around here location, enemys that are always hard to defeat no matter what lvl you are what artifactual armor or rare weapon you swing into them, and lots of morally devastating actions like killing innocents or butchering puppies, and if you die you die and the game deletes your character save files, it would win so very hard.

Just to be clear DF adventure-mode isnt the above, it handholds and has the retard npc conversation skills of its ilk.

Anyways Skyrim is fine for your corporate media machine games of today.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: March 18, 2012, 07:58:56 am »

I think the biggest problem with dragons is that they fight about the same as average mooks. Like it doesn't matter where you hit and stuff, you just run up and twack it till its HP drains away and it'll just impotently try to hit you, not even knocking you away despite being like 10 times your size.

Like it could've added some depth if shooting it in the open mouth with an arrow would do more damage and stun it, if attacking the wings disabled it from flying, if you had a way to dodge its blows and they actually knocked you away if you didn't, or if its bites actually did more damage than its tail. But nope. They're really boring to fight compared to humanoids despite being some supposed main draw of this game. Humanoids have a few more details going for them (such as power attacks, blocking, knockbacks, different equipment sets, various magic, etc.), nearly everything else is like a blob of health that you just smack with your sword till it goes away.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: March 18, 2012, 08:17:31 am »

I think the biggest problem with dragons is that they fight about the same as average mooks. Like it doesn't matter where you hit and stuff, you just run up and twack it till its HP drains away and it'll just impotently try to hit you, not even knocking you away despite being like 10 times your size.

Like it could've added some depth if shooting it in the open mouth with an arrow would do more damage and stun it, if attacking the wings disabled it from flying, if you had a way to dodge its blows and they actually knocked you away if you didn't, or if its bites actually did more damage than its tail. But nope. They're really boring to fight compared to humanoids despite being some supposed main draw of this game. Humanoids have a few more details going for them (such as power attacks, blocking, knockbacks, different equipment sets, various magic, etc.), nearly everything else is like a blob of health that you just smack with your sword till it goes away.

OH YEAH. That's another thing I forgot.

Scenario 1:
*fires arrow at giant's finger*

SNEAK DAMAGE! GIANT DIES!

Scenario 2:
*fires arrow at guy's head. Sneak damage.*

"WHO'S THERE?"
*five seconds later*
"I guess I was imagining it..."
*fires another arrow at guy's head. Sneak Damage.*

Rinse and repeat till death.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: March 18, 2012, 09:05:21 am »

We back on the down circle of the great wheel of skyrim on this thread then?

My 2 cents, I thought skyrim is a great exploration game, but shitty combat/rpg.  The combat mechanics are awe inspiringly stupid (Mount and blade did it what? 10000% better?), weapon selection even more so (3 wep types, 1h, 2h and bow, REALLY?).  That said I played it for hours and had heaps of fun rofl stomping my way though dungeons picking up piles of gems and cash I would never find a way to spend, ive poured 80 hours into skyrim with 2 characters, frankly that will be all until there are some decent game fixing mods brought out for it, but hell, ill still call it a good game and I loved the time I spent with it.

There are a million things I dont like about skyrim, but ive been drinking so I wont start, but in the end, its still a good game.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: March 18, 2012, 09:19:34 am »

You have to give to get. I can't think of any other game besides the elder scroll series that has these huge, detailed worlds with such high graphics. The amount of stories that were written for the books and dialog, the number of quests....You can't have everything in a game. Adding body parts to all the creatures to adjust the damage based on where you hit them, what hitting that spot does, and improving the AI (considering that the AI is already good for being able to navigate through the polygonal mess that is the landscape) would of extended the time to make the game by how long? And how many fewer computers would be able to run it?

In other news, turned it to expert mode because it got too easy. I am pleased  :)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: March 18, 2012, 09:33:58 am »

OH YEAH. That's another thing I forgot.

Scenario 1:
*fires arrow at giant's finger*

SNEAK DAMAGE! GIANT DIES!

Scenario 2:
*fires arrow at guy's head. Sneak damage.*

"WHO'S THERE?"
*five seconds later*
"I guess I was imagining it..."
*fires another arrow at guy's head. Sneak Damage.*

Rinse and repeat till death.
I don't really get that. As in the stealth never worked that way for me. Like whenever I missed and the arrow hit the ground somewhere, they'd wander to where it hit and eventually gave up looking. But as soon as I hit someone with an arrow, everyone immediately knew where the arrow came from, ran at me and found me.

Adding body parts to all the creatures to adjust the damage based on where you hit them, what hitting that spot does, and improving the AI (considering that the AI is already good for being able to navigate through the polygonal mess that is the landscape) would of extended the time to make the game by how long? And how many fewer computers would be able to run it?
You mean like Fallout 3?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: March 18, 2012, 09:38:04 am »

Adding body parts to all the creatures to adjust the damage based on where you hit them, what hitting that spot does,

The game's engine is built off of Fallout 3/New Vegas; there are references to VATS in it still (hence, locational damage), and it would have been child's play to add it in, but instead they hardcoded a lock into it to disallow such a thing short of script heavy modding.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: March 18, 2012, 10:26:45 am »

I don't really get that. As in the stealth never worked that way for me. Like whenever I missed and the arrow hit the ground somewhere, they'd wander to where it hit and eventually gave up looking. But as soon as I hit someone with an arrow, everyone immediately knew where the arrow came from, ran at me and found me.

Move two meters away and you're fine. Or, even, with a high enough stealth, stay where you are.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: March 18, 2012, 11:53:21 am »

Adding body parts to all the creatures to adjust the damage based on where you hit them, what hitting that spot does,

The game's engine is built off of Fallout 3/New Vegas; there are references to VATS in it still (hence, locational damage), and it would have been child's play to add it in, but instead they hardcoded a lock into it to disallow such a thing short of script heavy modding.

Yes I know that the code is from the same engine. Doesn't mean it's easy to program in. Also doesn't mean that it won't cause the game to lag like hell.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: March 18, 2012, 12:49:55 pm »

You all criticise the game but we all bought it right? Everybody (including this forum) loved this game when it was out. I was the only individual who criticised it here and you can't belive how much I was flamed for it. I criticised the level scaling, dumbed down gameplay, boring quests, boring NPCs, inefficent-but-shiny UI and everybody thought all this things weren't that bad and actually an improvment. Then people started criticising Morrowind. When someone praises a so-called crappy game we all hate him and when someone criticises a so-called great game we all hate him again. Hell, I even showed Bethesda's lies about this game and Oblivion. People just kept insulting me.

In the end, copies sold = customer satisfaction

We will get more games like this. Yeah, first hours of the game is magical and that's reflected by the scores given by video game reviewers.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: March 18, 2012, 12:55:03 pm »

The I told you soing level is amazingly high right here. Did anybody do the Pale Lady quest? I'm determined to take that sword out of there and live.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: March 18, 2012, 02:08:30 pm »

The I told you soing level is amazingly high right here. Did anybody do the Pale Lady quest? I'm determined to take that sword out of there and live.

I'm fairly certain I just killed the Lady directly, since I didn't realize you could do anything with the sword until afterwards. Not sure I remember that quest correctly, however. Would have to check it up.
Love, scriver~

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: March 18, 2012, 03:17:45 pm »

If there was a RPG that let you hold any kind of conversation with npcs, do anything you want with the most realistic consequences, and barely gives you a clear main quest or doesnt shows you where stuff is or gives you a vague it could be somewhere around here location, enemys that are always hard to defeat no matter what lvl you are what artifactual armor or rare weapon you swing into them, and lots of morally devastating actions like killing innocents or butchering puppies, and if you die you die and the game deletes your character save files, it would win so very hard.

... i want a game like this, this right here.

You all criticise the game but we all bought it right? Everybody (including this forum) loved this game when it was out. I was the only individual who criticised it here and you can't belive how much I was flamed for it. I criticised the level scaling, dumbed down gameplay, boring quests, boring NPCs, inefficent-but-shiny UI and everybody thought all this things weren't that bad and actually an improvment. Then people started criticising Morrowind. When someone praises a so-called crappy game we all hate him and when someone criticises a so-called great game we all hate him again. Hell, I even showed Bethesda's lies about this game and Oblivion. People just kept insulting me.
amazing how people turn aint it? i thought the game was fun for all the first 5 minutes before i realized just how dumb it was compared to older elder scroll games, i played until i just couldn't be bothered anymore in the hopes it got better, but no it didn't so i returned it, the issue is is that money has become the only reason the companies make the games, used to be quite a few companies wanted to make GREAT games, regardless of how many people liked it, as long as enough people bought it to cover their production costs.

oh, also its not fair to compare battles in RPG games to Mount & Blade, thats like comparing CoD to Dwarf Fortress.  :P

another problem, i beat the game and all guild questlines in a day, oblivion took me about a week, and morrowind took me the better part of a month to finish just the main quest and SOME side quests.
i personally believe this is due to focusing on graphics over depth, im not saying i want to play everything in Xbox1 graphics, but i dont NEED a company to spend more work on art design then coding in order for me to enjoy my game. which is kinda what big developers are doing now.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5534 on: March 18, 2012, 04:01:18 pm »

I just don't understand why a game has to be either amazing or terrible with absolutely zero ground inbetween.

I criticised the level scaling, dumbed down gameplay
These kinds of games are trying to reach a bigger audience. Would it be nice to get a game with the environmental realism and open world of Skyrim with a beautifully complex stat-system, breathtaking writing, and rich and varied combat? Hell fucking yes it would! But that would be the game of the decade, if not several decades. Even Morrowind boiled down to a hack-n-slash with a painful leveling system, even if the stat progression was interesting the amount meta-gaming required to not screw your character over was ridiculous. You can't expect every game to have everything.

boring quests
You mean like every other mission-based game ever made? I'm having trouble thinking of a single quest in a similar open world game that wasn't boring and meaningless. Does that mean that these games aren't fun? No, it means that quests are just an excuse to take you to another part of the world. If you want deep quests with substantial changes in gameplay you are playing the wrong kind of game.

boring NPCs
Oh come on. Bethesda has never been known for their writing.

inefficent-but-shiny UI
Okay, the UI is objectively terrible. I think everyone agrees and has always agreed that the UI is terrible even on consoles.

Skyrim is pretty good at what it tries to do, but it is just an average game. It's fun, I certainly got my $60 worth out of it, but it isn't astounding, revolutionary, or contemplative. But it doesn't try to be those things, it tries to have a beautiful world for you to explore and I think they succeeded at that. There are some problems, like the dungeons and the enemy HP bloat, but these things are still largely a step up from the previous game. I think a lot of people just expected way too much from the game.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 896