Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558865 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #5535 on: March 18, 2012, 04:05:56 pm »

You all criticise the game but we all bought it right? Everybody (including this forum) loved this game when it was out. I was the only individual who criticised it here and you can't belive how much I was flamed for it. I criticised the level scaling, dumbed down gameplay, boring quests, boring NPCs, inefficent-but-shiny UI and everybody thought all this things weren't that bad and actually an improvment. Then people started criticising Morrowind. When someone praises a so-called crappy game we all hate him and when someone criticises a so-called great game we all hate him again. Hell, I even showed Bethesda's lies about this game and Oblivion. People just kept insulting me.

In the end, copies sold = customer satisfaction

We will get more games like this. Yeah, first hours of the game is magical and that's reflected by the scores given by video game reviewers.

Skyrim WAS fun for about the first 20 hours... then it started to get "Meh" I ran out of interesting things to do. I didn't have the same problem with morrowind, I had fun searching every nook and cranny because I KNEW there was something cool hiding there.

Also strippers. Morrowind had strippers which makes it better on that regard.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: March 18, 2012, 04:09:02 pm »

but why did people expect way too much out of the game? i believe Bethesda did a hell of a lot to hype up dragons... only to fall short.

Skyrim WAS fun for about the first 20 hours... then it started to get "Meh" I ran out of interesting things to do. I didn't have the same problem with morrowind, I had fun searching every nook and cranny because I KNEW there was something cool hiding there.

true about time it stays interesting, also the morrowing note brings up something, Bethesda is getting more afraid of controversy. Morrowind had some disturbing stuff in it, Oblivion had some stuff that might make a child flinch, but i didn't see any of the 'effects of conflict' or 'evil acts' that were present in the last games.  :(

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: March 18, 2012, 04:14:10 pm »

but why did people expect way too much out of the game? i believe Bethesda did a hell of a lot to hype up dragons... only to fall short.

true about time it stays interesting, also the morrowing note brings up something, Bethesda is getting more afraid of controversy. Morrowind had some disturbing stuff in it, Oblivion had some stuff that might make a child flinch, but i didn't see any of the 'effects of conflict' or 'evil acts' that were present in the last games.  :(

Like the crazed cultists that ate their own tumors, and the giant golem powered by a dead gods heart?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5538 on: March 18, 2012, 04:17:33 pm »

That's what these guys do. It is their job to hype shit, it is your job not to believe them. Hell, I can think of 9/10 games that didn't live up to the hype, most recently Journey, and Skyrim is only a 6/10, 7/10 game at best and that's all it was ever gonna be.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: March 18, 2012, 04:28:56 pm »

7/10 game at best and that's all it was ever gonna be.
It pained me when I discovered this for myself. Skyrim just feels so... generic.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: March 18, 2012, 04:37:51 pm »

You mean like every other mission-based game ever made? I'm having trouble thinking of a single quest in a similar open world game that wasn't boring and meaningless. Does that mean that these games aren't fun? No, it means that quests are just an excuse to take you to another part of the world. If you want deep quests with substantial changes in gameplay you are playing the wrong kind of game.
How about the Fallout series? Like even Fallout 3 had better quest design in general than Skyrim (ignoring the worse writing), cause choices were more prominent and there were some skill applications. And even more so in New Vegas. Skyrim's definately got more quests than any of those games, but most of them are on par with something a random generator could churn out (and I ain't talking about those that actually are).

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: March 18, 2012, 04:38:30 pm »

7/10 game at best and that's all it was ever gonna be.
It pained me when I discovered this for myself. Skyrim just feels so... generic.

I myself went back playing Fallout New Vegas, havent been doing any Skyrim since..
I am just waiting for the modders to start big projects.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: March 18, 2012, 04:55:45 pm »

well thats my main point of confusion, fallout has rather dynamic quests and usually a interesting storyline that immerses you in the game.

i felt 0 immersion while playing skyrim, none, less than AC: brotherhood. fallout on the other hand i find myself getting in to, i WANT to do quests, in skyrim i would rather stand in one place spinning in circles looking at the ground, it would be more fun than the quests anyways.

fallout has quests that are interesting, usually mysterious in nature, and oftentimes take dedication, and work to complete.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5543 on: March 18, 2012, 05:10:05 pm »

How about the Fallout series? Like even Fallout 3 had better quest design in general than Skyrim (ignoring the worse writing), cause choices were more prominent and there were some skill applications. And even more so in New Vegas. Skyrim's definately got more quests than any of those games, but most of them are on par with something a random generator could churn out (and I ain't talking about those that actually are).
Okay, I'll give you that Skyrim's quests are in general pretty shitty even when compared to the genre, but even in the Fallout games the majority of quests are filler and the skill applications oftentimes feel hollow. What really makes the quests compelling for me in the Fallout games is the writing, even in Fallout 3 the narrative was more competent than in Skyrim. It's nice to have multiple ways to approach a problem but there's generally something unfulfilling about the way it feels like you're just going down another predetermined route.

This probably sounds more negative than I intended it to, I just feel like mission-based gameplay has a long way to go.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: March 18, 2012, 05:23:07 pm »

indeed it does, however its a bit odd considering theres several games with 'mission based' gameplay that have dynamic player choice options, and plenty of emergent gameplay. mostly these games are more often stealth based, but i dont see why the same principles couldn't be applies to a more action oriented game.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: March 18, 2012, 05:26:25 pm »

well thats my main point of confusion, fallout has rather dynamic quests and usually a interesting storyline that immerses you in the game.

i felt 0 immersion while playing skyrim, none, less than AC: brotherhood. fallout on the other hand i find myself getting in to, i WANT to do quests, in skyrim i would rather stand in one place spinning in circles looking at the ground, it would be more fun than the quests anyways.

fallout has quests that are interesting, usually mysterious in nature, and oftentimes take dedication, and work to complete.

Fallout also had a pretty good UI, when I played that game I could actually know what quest I was on, and what I was doing. Skyrim also had WORSE writing, Sure it had 70+ voice actors... that all said the same damn thing.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: March 18, 2012, 05:29:14 pm »

well i think part of the issue is this, elder scrolls is set in generic fantasy land #1000000000 so Bethesda spends too much time worrying about breaking the mold and being ridiculed.

Fallout is set in an alternate timeline post-apocalyptic world, giving the developers near unlimited freedom.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: March 18, 2012, 05:31:37 pm »

Fallout also had a pretty good UI, when I played that game I could actually know what quest I was on, and what I was doing. Skyrim also had WORSE writing, Sure it had 70+ voice actors... that all said the same damn thing.
While I don't think Skyrim has worse writing than Fallout 3, I do echo the thought of the wtf voice acting.

Why have all blacksmiths say the exact same phrase when you trade with them? Would writing alternative phrases for them really be that damn expensive? Is there some kinda discount for having a bunch of voice actors say the same thing? I don't understand what they were thinking. And from what I recall, they've been doing this since before Skyrim.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: March 18, 2012, 06:08:35 pm »

Why have all blacksmiths say the exact same phrase when you trade with them? Would writing alternative phrases for them really be that damn expensive? Is there some kinda discount for having a bunch of voice actors say the same thing? I don't understand what they were thinking. And from what I recall, they've been doing this since before Skyrim.
Yeah, it's... just... weird as hell how much they say the same thing.

And before Skyrim, I'm pretty sure I remember there being plenty of people saying "I hope I can help!" and then smiling in Oblivion.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: March 18, 2012, 06:55:47 pm »

Bethesda hyped this game too much. People expected too much. You can't blame the customers for complaining about Skyrim being an "average" game.

Skyrim has boring quests compared to pretty much every other game. I'm sick of this "go bring me my socks" kind of quests. Probably, Bethesda was like "Eh, it's too much work to make all these quests. Let's make some crappy misc. quests to increase the number of quests in this game" The idea of having radiant quests was probably based on this.

NPCs are boring because they don't feel alive. When you are walking around, a complete stranger may say things like "Hi there stranger! I have a daughter and I work as a blacksmith and I live over there. Just wanted to let you know!" Geez. Why the fuck are you telling me that? I have never ever seen you in my life. What if I'm a rapist or something? I'm not complaining about frendliness of NPCs. The agressive NPCs don't seem real to me too. They just get pissed at everyhing for no reason. It's like all NPCs have 4-5 personality types.

Attempt at dumbing down the gameplay, providing an easier game by level scaling and having a UI suited for consoles is just a greedy attempt at pulling in more customers. Bethesda used to try to make great games, not make money. When I look at the games I define as "great games" I see the devs developing the game with love for their work and not love for money. If you are doing something other than loving doing it, you are doing it wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 896