Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558897 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #5595 on: March 21, 2012, 12:22:59 pm »

Easy. To get better quests hire twice the number of developers for the game, or release it in another 2 years. Either way it will increase the price of the game. Morrowind had low graphic and  small world. Made it easy to detail the quests and plot and such.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: March 21, 2012, 12:49:44 pm »

Easy. To get better quests hire twice the number of developers for the game, or release it in another 2 years. Either way it will increase the price of the game. Morrowind had low graphic and  small world. Made it easy to detail the quests and plot and such.

"Skyrim's heightmap is rectangular and uses 119 x 94 = 11186 in-game "cells". The engine uses the same cell size as in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas - 57.6 metres (63 yards) to the side, 3317.76 mē (3 969 square yards) of area. The full map thus has an area of about 37.1 kmē (14.3 square miles). Around a quarter of this is not playable, stuck behind invisible borders.

The playable area is roughly the same as the one in Morrowind and Oblivion and less than one thousandths of Daggerfall's size."
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/39338/how-large-is-skyrim

Patently false, good sir. In fact skyrim's budget was $100,000,000, while I can't find how much morrowind's budget was, I can tell you it was no where near that amount. I have no idea what they spent that 100mil on, it sure wasn't on writing, voice acting, or a new engine.

Morrowind was the same size as skyrim, had better writing, quests, more skills, more spells, and even more locations.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: March 21, 2012, 01:43:39 pm »

Morrowind actually feels bigger since you don't teleport around. I have memorized the way from Seyda Neen to Caldera and still remember it.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: March 21, 2012, 02:41:11 pm »

I'm actually finding myself using teleports and fast travel less than I did in Morrowind. And not just because Skyrim has no teleports in the first place.

There really are a lot of little details you can miss if you just blaze on by to your next quest location. I've been starting to just avoid fast travel entirely. Might do it when I'm absolutely sure that I've explored everything between me and that location. But I doubt that'll happen for a while for me.

Technically speaking, Morrowind feels much smaller because there's much less habitable space on Vvardenfell. This is evident when you go from city to city, or just poke around their local area. A large chunk of Vvardenfell is (mostly) uninhabited wasteland, and a pretty good chunk of that is the Red Mountain area, which you probably won't even go into until you're ready to go after Dagoth Ur.
Then you've got all the water and islands.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:49:03 pm by Lightning4 »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: March 21, 2012, 02:43:02 pm »

"Skyrim's heightmap is rectangular and uses 119 x 94 = 11186 in-game "cells". The engine uses the same cell size as in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas - 57.6 metres (63 yards) to the side, 3317.76 mē (3 969 square yards) of area. The full map thus has an area of about 37.1 kmē (14.3 square miles). Around a quarter of this is not playable, stuck behind invisible borders.

The playable area is roughly the same as the one in Morrowind and Oblivion and less than one thousandths of Daggerfall's size."
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/39338/how-large-is-skyrim

Patently false, good sir. In fact skyrim's budget was $100,000,000, while I can't find how much morrowind's budget was, I can tell you it was no where near that amount. I have no idea what they spent that 100mil on, it sure wasn't on writing, voice acting, or a new engine.

Morrowind was the same size as skyrim, had better writing, quests, more skills, more spells, and even more locations.

Now subtract the ****ton of water surrounding Morrowind. That doesn't take time to edit like a 10 mile high mountain does. Nor what I assume to be the many more dungeons that Skyrim has (anyone know how many Morrowind dungeons there are?)

Not saying Skyrim had a smaller budget. Or the same. I'm saying that Skyrim uses waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better graphics then Morrowind, more advanced AI, more manually edited landscape, better combat system, ect. It's gonna cost a hell of a lot more then Morrowind, and money translates into content and time.

Morrowind actually feels bigger since you don't teleport around. I have memorized the way from Seyda Neen to Caldera and still remember it.
You had silt striders and boats in Morrowind. You have carts in Skyrim. Whoever uses the quick travel when they don't have to can't really complain about it.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: March 21, 2012, 02:47:39 pm »

I'm actually finding myself using teleports and fast travel less than I did in Morrowind. And not just because Skyrim has no teleports in the first place.

I was talking about fast travel in Skyrim. You know that.

And in Morrowind, you could only travel between settlements. Sometimes you couldn't even travel exactly where you want because not all cities have silt striders, boats or mage's guild.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: March 21, 2012, 02:55:40 pm »

I was talking about fast travel in Skyrim. You know that.

And in Morrowind, you could only travel between settlements. Sometimes you couldn't even travel exactly where you want because not all cities have silt striders, boats or mage's guild.

I know, but the intervention spells are a good analogue to fast travel as a 'get me away from this dungeon and into civilization' button. Though once you really get a feel for Morrowind's transport system, you can hop across the map like it's nothing, using a combination of everything. Unless your target is deep in the Ashlands, odds are you can use a couple trips or spells to get close.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: March 21, 2012, 03:01:43 pm »

Yeah, I wish we still had the spells like mark and recall, and the varied fast travel. I dislike using the map fast travel.
*Hugs*

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: March 21, 2012, 04:13:48 pm »

Yeah, I wish we still had the spells like mark and recall, and the varied fast travel. I dislike using the map fast travel.

I'm talking about exactly this. In my opinion, a combination of all travel options is better than a teleport-to-everywhere-you-want fast travel engine. You might say it's just needlessly complex but it isn't. If a player isn't good at magic, he needs some scrolls ready to teleport and other travel options cost money (which is easy to gain but still). Travelling becomes easier as the player character gets more advanced. I think this fast travel system was done to keep the action heavy on the scales of Action and Roleplaying, because that's what casual players want.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: March 21, 2012, 05:36:14 pm »

Hell, I'd quite like for the cart trip to be an actual cart trip, although having to stop every 10 seconds to fight off a wave of banditos would be annoying.
*Hugs*

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: March 21, 2012, 05:38:33 pm »

-valid point about oversimplifying-
(sorry to paraphrase, just making a point)

actually the magical travel map in newer games is one good example of easy over depth.

many older RPGs have caravans, mages, scrolls, portals, or what have you for getting around.

newer RPG games have click a link and skip a sizeable walking distance with no chance for danger whatsoever.
maybe there needs to be more to do along the way?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: March 21, 2012, 05:56:12 pm »

Hell, I'd quite like for the cart trip to be an actual cart trip, although having to stop every 10 seconds to fight off a wave of banditos would be annoying.

Personally when they were talking about wagon's I'd hoped for something similar, more of a time dilation trip, but a trip nonetheless.

I'd also hoped for more dynamic trip planning, for instance if you wanted to get from Riften to Solitude quickly you could hire a boat to take you down the Treva to Aivarstead, then hire another boat to ferry you up the black and white rivers (probably paying quite a bit extra for the trip, seeing as it takes you through two territories)  and up to whiterun. Then in whiterun you'd hire a carriage/cart to take up the north road, through the mountain pass, and into Morthal. Then from Morthal you could take a raft through the shallow swamps until you hit the Carth river and float over to the port of solitude.

Comparing that to open map, point, click, confirm, done, I was somewhat disappointed.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: March 21, 2012, 06:05:10 pm »

After playing Red Dead Redemption I was very sad to see that you can't hijack the carts in Skyrim. What I would give for Euphoria in the Totally-not-Gamebryo engine.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: March 21, 2012, 06:12:46 pm »

I knew it from the start that cart trips would work like this. It's so Bethesda :P

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: March 21, 2012, 07:29:59 pm »

I knew it from the start that cart trips would work like this. It's so Bethesda :P

meh, its a problem were starting to expect this from them.
such potential in the levels of awesomeness reached in each successive game they released across various series years ago.

now we seem to have hit a plane(plain?) of mediocrity, and have seen little improvement across titles, just tired old ideas implemented with MOAR GRAFIKS!!!

seriously though, the advancement of graphics cards has crippled the gaming industry more than its helped, either that or they are just fucking lazy and do whatever it takes to make money.
since your average idiot CoD/Halo/Skyrim player is content to buy whatever simply because everyone else is(most people i have met who own skyrim have never played an earlier game in the series, im led to believe this is the primary factor in the excitement about how awesome skyrim is.), then mindlessly stare at a TV for 4 days doing the same thing on repeat, we won't be seeing any change as long as these zombies are the primary part of the gaming community.

unless discerning players who want a GAME! not a interactive movie, become the greater group, mainstream games are gonna go downhill fast.

EDIT: a ridiculously minor spelling correction.
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 896