Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550220 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #5625 on: March 22, 2012, 08:14:38 am »

The only part of morrowind I enjoyed, and quite thoroughly, was the bloodmoon? expansion which had you going to set up the mine. I felt a connection to that place. It was my mine, I had helped defend it and helped it prosper. I made decisions about how it should be built and those decisions affected the people in it. I was sad when that was over.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: March 22, 2012, 11:57:22 am »

Fast travel should be like in Fallout 1 and 2: you actually move in a map and there should be random encounters along the way :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5627 on: March 22, 2012, 12:00:15 pm »

Honestly I'd have been okay with fast travel being available only by the ingame hirable carriages between cities.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5628 on: March 22, 2012, 01:08:34 pm »

The dunmer culture was too alien for me and made me feel uncomfortable until I learned a bit more about it and began to understand it.
That was actually my favorite part of Morrowind by far. To me having a culture that was initially repellent, in no small part because the dunmer were actively trying to repel you, but was fascinating and deep made the game a joy to explore and the NPCs worth talking to (even if the dialogue managed to be worse than Skyrim's half the time). Plus the architecture was quite unlike anything I'd ever seen, especially in the Telvanni areas. It just gave the world a reason for existing and for me to wander through it rather than what Skyrim has which is because it's pretty.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: March 22, 2012, 01:15:39 pm »

If fast travel were disabled there would need to be more ulterior options. In Morrowind, there were carriages between cities and towns (but not all), mage's guild teleporters, teleporters in the Strongholds that you could use after you cleared them of monsters, the mark/recall spells (which allowed you designate a location and teleport to it later), and two spells that returned you to the nearest temple/sanctuary. You had a lot of fast travel options, but it still made it easy for some places to be difficult to reach or require a proper journey.

Granted, in a very few places they still just disabled teleporting in a dungeon. That would have been a lot less annoying if it was a more hard and fast game mechanic, say for example there was some kind of anti-teleport object or monster that you could find and destroy, and prevented teleporting in an area of effect. An auto-walk button or even a time accelerator like in flight sims might have been nice, although it might also impact your ability to explore.

One thing is for sure- the ability to run without your fatigue dropping in Oblivion was an improvement, walking slowly everywhere was not missed. I rather liked how walking/sprinting was handled in Skyrim too (although I do miss having stats/items that made you faster).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: March 22, 2012, 02:40:45 pm »

Personally, I really did enjoy Morrowind. But the "Too different" thing definately hit me hard when I was first getting used to it, that plus the crappy overall systems make it a shockingly hard game to ease yourself into if you don't know what you're getting into. And then oblivion was almost too familiar, though at least combat was actually somewhat fun.

Though for skyrim, what I noticed myself was everything felt pretty damn solid. At least gameplay wise. There's some definite headscratchers like occasionally finding a bandit boss tougher than the dragons you currently fight, but outside of that I'd personally say Skyrim is the most polished and actually FUN gameplay wise. It might make no sense running into a bandit that could take out a dragon, but I don't really wanna roll over the game difficulty wise ever so I don't really care too much about that.

If I could bring one problem up to skyrim though, it's that the world feels... Inconsistent. Some places feel and seem pretty lively, or alive. And others seem quite barren. It's weird to go into a dungeon thing and seeing a story of what the place is sorta play out in visuals and implications, and then the next fort/cave you go into has almost nothing but loot and monsters.

Still though, I go back to play Oblivion and am waiting to go back to Skyrim when certain mods show up. Morrowind? I don't think Ill be returning there any time soon now.

All this is a bit moot though since I guess I consider New Vegas the best game to come out that had anything to do with Bethesda. Well okay maybe not, but for the most part I think when Skyrim gets those mods I'm waiting for Ill probably stop returning to oblivion for the most part.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: March 22, 2012, 02:52:45 pm »

To be fair, Morrowind does have a lot of flaws. The combat system is crap, the AI is non-existent, and the setting is almost too unique. I initially found myself sticking as much as possible to Imperial areas because they had familiar architecture. The dunmer culture was too alien for me and made me feel uncomfortable until I learned a bit more about it and began to understand it.
That was actually my favorite part of Morrowind by far. To me having a culture that was initially repellent, in no small part because the dunmer were actively trying to repel you, but was fascinating and deep made the game a joy to explore and the NPCs worth talking to (even if the dialogue managed to be worse than Skyrim's half the time). Plus the architecture was quite unlike anything I'd ever seen, especially in the Telvanni areas. It just gave the world a reason for existing and for me to wander through it rather than what Skyrim has which is because it's pretty.

This is kind of why I want to see a TES game taking place in a more "foreign" province of Tamriel again. I feel they did pretty good in Skyrim architecture-wise, but there is only so much you can do with the architecture and culture when they're already established as essentially borrowing heavily from real world cultures and styles.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: March 22, 2012, 03:29:44 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I love Morrowind more than any other game, and the dunmer culture is a big part of that. But initially it was a bit overwhelming. Sadly we now live in the age of 'accessibility', which most developers mistakenly believe means 'provides instant gratification with no thought or effort required'. A game has to be fun immediately. Hence why Skyrim throws dragons at you at level 1. It promised dragons and the spirit of the times dictates that it must throw its gimmick in your face at the first opportunity.
I bet that's also part of the reason why Skyrim was chosen as the setting. It's nice and normal, not inhabited mostly by talking cats or lizards.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: March 22, 2012, 03:52:34 pm »

They only really have one "normal medieval" province left, and that's High Rock. All the other choices stray from that. Elf provinces, which from what we've seen can have some interesting culture. Daggerfall, as the Redguard hail from an entirely different continent and from what little we've seen of them, could have a fairly different culture. Then yeah, then there's the beast races.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5634 on: March 22, 2012, 04:10:23 pm »

I really feel like Skyrim sets TESVI up to take place on Summerset Isle, what with the Aldmeri Dominion conflict and Valenwood being extremely unlikely due to all kinds of lore stuff. It's either that or Cyrodil again... which would make me consider not buying it. But man, Elsweyr or Black Marsh would be awesome. But they won't likely happen either, Black Marsh for the same reasons as Valenwood and Elsweyr because it would ruin the mystery of the place.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:12:15 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: March 22, 2012, 04:25:38 pm »

I really feel like Skyrim sets TESVI up to take place on Summerset Isle, what with the Aldmeri Dominion conflict and Valenwood being extremely unlikely due to all kinds of lore stuff. It's either that or Cyrodil again... which would make me consider not buying it. But man, Elsweyr or Black Marsh would be awesome. But they won't likely happen either, Black Marsh for the same reasons as Valenwood and Elsweyr because it would ruin the mystery of the place.

I don't know. I think if Bethesda does Summerset Isle...it would be a DLC. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is what I've been expecting. I know they said they wanted DLCs to actually be expansions and not horse armor.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: March 22, 2012, 05:04:54 pm »

I really feel like Skyrim sets TESVI up to take place on Summerset Isle, what with the Aldmeri Dominion conflict.

Yeah, but Bethsoft like to change their mind. Morrowind set up TESIV with an interesting political plot with rumors about the emperor's sons having been replaced by doppelgangers, but in the actual games the heirs are killed off-screen before the game even begins and we get a demon invasion instead.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5637 on: March 22, 2012, 05:16:08 pm »

=
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: March 22, 2012, 05:25:09 pm »

Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: March 22, 2012, 05:37:57 pm »

I heard somewhere that in prior games the hint for the next game's plot would be hidden in a small line of dialogue. Like the ravings of a mad man or something?
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 896