Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550070 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #5805 on: March 29, 2012, 05:39:12 pm »

It blows my fucking mind someone thought 512 was enough for the 360, even back then.

yeah... no chance of high intensity games ever making it on there... kind of limits it to RPGs and FPS's for the most part  :(
most strategy games or high-level combat FPS's and RPGs take a gig of ram with a powerful processor to run smoothly. (meaning the 400 troops on the screen type stuff)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: March 29, 2012, 05:45:17 pm »

All of us PC users who had 512 megs of RAM back then can upgrade. [/PCHipster]

But yeah, Xbox 720 or whatever had better have 16 gigs of DDR3.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: March 29, 2012, 06:02:29 pm »

Just started taking another look at this to see how the game has progressed since release.  There's a lot of cool stuff out there now.  I have a toooooon of various mods installed, most doing only very specific little things.  I'll post a list later.  It seems like I can tweak just about any aspect of the game to my liking now... but damn does it take a ton of work filtering through everything to find the stuff you want.  It doesn't look like there are any good compilations/overhauls out there.  Tytanis used to look like the one to watch months ago, but I look at it now and there's very little info about what it even does at this point.  At a glance, it looks like it's begun oversaturating with features I don't care about instead of polish. 

It's a shame that the melee combat system can't be modded very much.  It's still my #1 complaint about the game.  I'm using one that seems to at least make it a fair amount more challenging -- Dual - Combat Realism.  So far, it seems like a nice improvement.

Anybody else know any nice little gems that aren't near the top of the endorsement lists on Skyrim Nexus?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5808 on: March 29, 2012, 06:24:50 pm »

Intel Core i7 975 running at 3.8GHZ
12GB Ram
Two Radeon HD 5800 cards linked via crossfire

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: March 30, 2012, 12:59:30 am »

Ugh... Duel isn't very good.
For realism, try something made by a real SCA fighter!
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1362399-duke-patricks-heavy-weapons-combat-mod/
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: March 30, 2012, 01:47:23 am »

Ugh... Duel isn't very good.
For realism, try something made by a real SCA fighter!
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1362399-duke-patricks-heavy-weapons-combat-mod/

Holy crap.  From everything I'd read so far, I didn't think it was possible to mod melee combat mechanics so much.  Thanks for pointing me to this, assuming it lives up to its promises.  I'll probably have to re-work a lot of my mod set-up to accommodate it though.

I hope it's actually fun to play, instead of just realism for the sake of realism.  All I really want is more to do in a fight than straight trading of blows.  If Skyrim's melee combat were modeled after Mount & Blade's system, it would be heavenly.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:49:20 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: March 30, 2012, 02:08:03 am »

Gah, really? So there are at least three combat mods out there now? (The one I used last time I played was Deadly Combat). That sucks, because it makes it hard to choose.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: March 30, 2012, 02:53:28 am »

Gah, really? So there are at least three combat mods out there now? (The one I used last time I played was Deadly Combat). That sucks, because it makes it hard to choose.

I've looked at Deadly Combat, but it looks like it can be summed up as "Still blandly trading blows, but more hardcore."
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: March 30, 2012, 03:18:49 am »

Maybe. It's got some of the features Duke's mod has, such as staggering and improved blocking (including timed blocking), stamina cost in various places, and it claims it's also got an improved AI, so I wouldn't say it's just trading bland blows. I would consider it a 'earlier' version of Duke's mod. I did get my but kicked around quite a bit in that.

My main problem is that Duke's mod apparently requires a clean install, which sounds like a pretty tall order for the interest I still have in Skyrim.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: March 30, 2012, 04:17:52 am »

Is there actually any true first-person RPG with a decent combat system?
Of those I know, Gothic 3 comes closest in concept, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: March 30, 2012, 04:24:49 am »

Is there actually any true first-person RPG with a decent combat system?
Of those I know, Gothic 3 comes closest in concept, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

Mount & Blade's system is really good, in my opinion.

I'd really like to see something like Die By the Sword attempted again.

But yes, it is something that is generally lacking.  No game has yet made a real-time rpg melee combat system that is truly awesome.  The first game to ever do so will probably get insane credit in geek culture for finally figuring it out.

Edit:  So I've been through a few quick fights with Duke's combat mod.  He is incredibly brutal on the stamina.  Both combatants are kneeling on the ground puffing after a couple swings.  It's kinda pathetic.  Will give it more time, but after about 15 minutes, I'm not sure I'll stick with it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:10:06 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: March 30, 2012, 03:06:23 pm »

DbtS was third person. IIRC you could switch to first person, but it was unplayable. I've heard good thing about the first person melee combat in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, but haven't played it myself.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5817 on: March 30, 2012, 03:21:31 pm »

Yeah the combat in Dark Messiah was pretty good, somewhere between Oblivion and Mount and Blade, the rest of the game was pretty terrible though. And whatever you do, do not get the console version because they completely stripped the RPG elements from it.

I've seen some gameplay from a game called Zeno Clash, looks like it has some fun first person fisticuffs, not much of an RPG though.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: March 30, 2012, 03:22:35 pm »

Yeah, the console version of Dark Messiah locks you into classes :/
Still, it's not a terrible game, tossing a jar of oil at someone and then setting it on fire is always fun.
*Hugs*

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: March 30, 2012, 04:10:12 pm »

meh, i wish they didn't have to dumb down games so much for consoles... why do they do that anyways? it is 100% possible to have complex controls and a nice HUD with a console controller...
in fact the thumbstick > mouse argument applies here too, if you could create a complex, in-depth RPG for both consoles and PCs, then you would win the game of game development.
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 896