Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550076 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #5985 on: April 26, 2012, 05:25:34 pm »

(and got flamed in the end because everyone loved the game at that point)
Ah ha ha

(Still love the game because it's a good game)
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: April 26, 2012, 05:41:18 pm »

(and got flamed in the end because everyone loved the game at that point)
Ah ha ha

(Still love the game because it's a good game)

Well, that love was rather blind then. But who can I blame? First hours of the game is magically perfect. People were defending an outright flaw, broken textures. I wasn't expecting a "you don't like the game? THEN SHUT UP" attitude from Bay12 though. Levelling and level scaling is arguable. You might love the fact that things like draugh and trolls are training and getting powerful while you level up your lockpicking skill.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: April 26, 2012, 05:48:18 pm »

You know Leatra, I've been reading this topic since it was pretty much posted, and I have to say. There's a fine line between having constructive criticism and just trying to defend your position of somehow being ostracized for not liking the game.

I don't recall anyone ever directly telling you to shut up, denying the game had problems outright, or otherwise. So I don't think you need to take people liking the game as a personal attack somehow.

Now I don't know if this is a personal problem, or a language or sarcasm problem. But at the very least I'd recommend taking a step back before you post in topics about games (Since I do notice, you tread the line between bringing up actual problems and flaming VERY closely in non indie game topics) and asking yourself "How is someone going to read this".

Because even if you have a legitimate concern the wrong tone can make people just ignore it. And the only reason I say this is since I can tell you do seem to actually have no real malice in your posts, just it comes off looking way different than I'm sure you intend.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: April 26, 2012, 05:59:23 pm »

Leatra mind pointing out where the heck you got flamed? I just searched. The only time I saw anyone talking about the actual snow, you weren't even remotely flamed. Pretty much nobody disagreed with you at all.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: April 26, 2012, 06:00:46 pm »

I do feel I have to apologize for being more colorful than needed in our engagements, but from what I remember the general idea of the thread was that this game was worse than Morrowind and every feature was lacking and everything was poorly thought out.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: April 26, 2012, 06:10:37 pm »

You wanna know why the snow looks wierd?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*Hugs*

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: April 26, 2012, 07:12:53 pm »

Leatra mind pointing out where the heck you got flamed? I just searched. The only time I saw anyone talking about the actual snow, you weren't even remotely flamed. Pretty much nobody disagreed with you at all.
It's around 300 pages earlier. Maybe more. It kept going on for one and a half page if I remember right.

First reply to my post was, someone quoted my post and changed it into something similiar to this and added his reply to my changed quote:

Quote from: Leatra
Hello. I'm here to talk shit about this game and get going.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Then replies kept coming. It was like people were crusading for Skyrim and people took it personal. Then guess what? 200-300 pages after, people criticised the exact same things I criticised. Illusion doesn't last long I guess. The whole argument ended when I asked someone I was arguing to stop if it's going to get personal.

I don't recall anyone ever directly telling you to shut up, denying the game had problems outright, or otherwise. So I don't think you need to take people liking the game as a personal attack somehow.
That was sarcastical. Nobody told me to shut up but they pretty much meant it. I take it as a personal attack when people tell me to "get away from the keyboard" when I criticise a game. You might not like the game, I don't care. I just want to talk about the game.

You know Leatra, I've been reading this topic since it was pretty much posted, and I have to say. There's a fine line between having constructive criticism and just trying to defend your position of somehow being ostracized for not liking the game.
It was like talking about DF to a CoD fanboy. Everybody was in love with the game and nobody listened to me. I had to defend my position as a someone who isn't liking the game first. Honestly, I also got mad at "you don't like the game? THIS CONSERVATION IS OVER" attitude (again, sarcasm) Also, I was criticising graphics and just because I said "gameplay>graphics for me" in one sentence, people were all like "you don't mind bad graphics but you still talk about them. Your opinions on this game cancels each other out" Then I had to explain the crazy graphics hype of this game, how I hate companies which never keeps their promises (I posted a link of Bethesda's lies about Oblivion before release date too), etc. People were simply trying to find loopholes in my posts to criticise me rather than thinking about them. Textures are low res and snow is crappy. Is it too difficult to accept that? You can argue about level system and quests and I respect that. It's a different tastes for different people thing.

Now I don't know if this is a personal problem, or a language or sarcasm problem. But at the very least I'd recommend taking a step back before you post in topics about games (Since I do notice, you tread the line between bringing up actual problems and flaming VERY closely in non indie game topics) and asking yourself "How is someone going to read this".
Thanks for your recommendation. The weird thing is it only happened in this thread and I get a feeling it's going keep going again on this thread, because of someone who has no idea about what happened when I was criticising it (actually, I don't even remember myself). I guess Skyrim is a cursed game for me. No wonder I still have Morrowind installed and Skyrim crashes every time since the last update. I'll ignore this thread from now on.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: April 26, 2012, 10:35:11 pm »

I suspect the posts he's referring to are (with a few others on the next page)
and
They seemed to take an aggressive stance without actually addressing Leatra's complaints.  I'd say that using a quote box while completely rewording a quote is definitely bad etiquette, and I have difficulty taking seriously anyone who uses the phrase "nostalgia goggles".  I also don't understand why Kivish Zokun though his post was worded in a way that would convince him to try the game.  I must also add that while not having played a game doesn't lend credibility, it doesn't allow others to disregard criticism unless they provide a reason.  For example, Wind Waker is a game that looks terrible in screenshots but glorious in actual play due to the fluid animation.  While I have no interest in pardoning rude behavior, I would conclude though that while the DF forums tend to hold themselves to a certain standard of decorum any Internet discourse requires a degree of thick skin from the participants.

I do feel I have to apologize for being more colorful than needed in our engagements, but from what I remember the general idea of the thread was that this game was worse than Morrowind and every feature was lacking and everything was poorly thought out.
I don't know if anyone's opinion has changed that dramatically (barring the first few weeks).  What I think affected the tone is that once the game's flaws were agreed on, it became less about the overall quality of the game and more about whether mods could resolve them.  It's probably the same exact camps as Oblivion: those who think it's unsalvageable and went back to Morrowind and those who think their major complaints can be fixed with mods.

Then guess what? 200-300 pages after, people criticized the exact same things I criticized. Illusion doesn't last long I guess. The whole argument ended when I asked someone I was arguing to stop if it's going to get personal.
I talked about the Oblivion-mod quality textures and awful UI before the game was released
My first post after release was a rant that touched just about everything you brought up in your post
and another criticizing Skyrim's quest flaws
both of which were posted before your's.

(Sorry about that last part.  It's a bit self-aggrandizing.  I just figured that if I was trawling the thread for specific quotes I might as well show that Skyrim was being criticized before, during, and after release)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #5993 on: April 26, 2012, 11:05:58 pm »

STFU...naw just kidding.

Question on a more interesting TOPIC:

Is the game modded to FUN yet? Its been a few months now since I played it, thinking about firing up again. I want HARDER, PRETTIER, MOAR REALZ.

suggestions? is it there yet? whats a good mod collection, is there any compilation i can grab?
I got nothing

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: April 26, 2012, 11:25:08 pm »

It's around 300 pages earlier. Maybe more. It kept going on for one and a half page if I remember right.
It would really help if you could tell me where or I cannot honestly take your anger seriously, and the only way I can look at you is getting angry at something that doesn't exist.

I suspect the posts he's referring to are (with a few others on the next page)
But none say that the snow textures are good, so those can't be the posts.

STFU...naw just kidding.

Question on a more interesting TOPIC:

Is the game modded to FUN yet? Its been a few months now since I played it, thinking about firing up again. I want HARDER, PRETTIER, MOAR REALZ.

suggestions? is it there yet? whats a good mod collection, is there any compilation i can grab?
I'd recommend a combat mod. Choose your favorite.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=5485
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=2700
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1362399-duke-patricks-heavy-weapons-combat-mod/
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:27:28 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: April 27, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »

I was decided to play a bit of skyrim again, and went to update my mods and noticed that Wars in Skyrim have pretty much vanished. I mean, I still have the files installed, but it vanished from Nexus, and it's nowhere to be found in Steam Workshop. Anyone knows anything about it?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: April 27, 2012, 07:50:53 pm »

WIS is dead. The author removed the file and requested his profile be locked, according to an admin.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/640102-wars-in-skyrim/
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: April 27, 2012, 07:55:09 pm »

I'm going to eventually mod skyrim and begin a new character as a thief on the highest difficulty. I want mods that will make everything more realistic, and possibly harder.

I'd like some recommendations for mods. What I want is:

-Hunger and sleep meters
-Better stealth
-Better lighting

And throw whatever else you think might be good/fun for a thief in there.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: May 03, 2012, 01:15:15 pm »

Apparently the next Elder Scrolls is going to be an MMO. To say I am unenthusiastic would be a massive understatement. That being said, I'm sure there are some of you who might look forward to this sort of thing, so here's the article:

http://kotaku.com/5907372/the-elder-scrolls-online-coming-next-year

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5999 on: May 03, 2012, 01:19:17 pm »

Apparently the next Elder Scrolls is going to be an MMO. To say I am unenthusiastic would be a massive understatement. That being said, I'm sure there are some of you who might look forward to this sort of thing, so here's the article:

http://kotaku.com/5907372/the-elder-scrolls-online-coming-next-year
A small part of my soul died today. Just thought I would share that.
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 896