Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550092 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #6420 on: June 28, 2012, 11:57:27 am »

Have you already verified the integrity of game cache?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

SomethingCreative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: June 28, 2012, 02:13:46 pm »

I can't believe I've been playing Skyrim all this time without knowing that the console command teofis disables bloom, and that weird brightness shifting.

By Azura, By Azura, By Azura!

I thought I would never get rid of the bloom.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: June 28, 2012, 02:41:59 pm »

Welp. Skyrim no longer loads no matter what and steam support is totally ignoring me. Great.

Apparently your sound settings can mess it up. Try setting it to CD quality in control panel.

SomethingCreative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: June 28, 2012, 02:53:34 pm »

Welp. Skyrim no longer loads no matter what and steam support is totally ignoring me. Great.

Would you be willing to elaborate a little on your issue? I'm gonna post general fixes anyway.

Issue: The game is failing to start up, I click the icon and nothing happens/I get an error message.
Solution: Start steam first, then try starting the game.

Issue: The game is failing to load the main menu, and is hanging on the splash with the dragon insignia.
Solution: This is caused by a sound quality issue. Windows 7 users can change their sound quality via the control panel. There is no fix that I know of for Windows XP users, however, if you wait the main menu will eventually load.

I had to wait 30 minutes once for the main menu to load. Good stuff.

Issue: The game is failing to load a save and is hanging at a loading screen.
Solution: I don't much about this one, sorry. Try ctrl+alt+del out of the game and then alt tabbing back in. This usually forces the area to load properly.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: June 28, 2012, 06:46:17 pm »

-snip-

The glass ore and corrundium thing is definately something that irritated me, along with the recipies for elven and orcish armor. They were fine the way they were as mundane (if well crafted) materials. Also, I'm pretty sure that the armor in Morrowind was repurposed centurion shells. Granted, I had always figured that the dwemar had armor for their own personal use. However, it does seem like something of an oddity that 'modern' non-dwemar made dwemar armor would copy a style that was dead for eons.
If you check the "warrior" statues outside some dwemer ruins in Morrowind, you'll see that their warriores were mostly un-armoured. Frankly, why would anyone want armour when they have an army of robots?

I also got the impression that most (if not all) Dwemar fought lightly armored or unarmored. Their ghosts and statues in Morrowind are notably unarmored. There is evidence of Dwemar producing armor themselves, however. I seem to recall a book in morrowind in which dwemar masquerade as a robot/golem, thus inventing heavy armor. (I may be a little fuzzy on my recollection here) Daggerfall also had dwemar armor that didn't look like robot parts, but I think that was because they didn't have the time/space to give it a unique look.

At any rate, Bethesda seems to have decided that dwemar did use conventional armor, which brings up its own problems thanks to the way smithing works. Why would modern armor need to follow the design aesthetics of a species long dead? If there were modern smiths that could produce armor out of dwemar metal, I would expect that they would do so according to their aesthetics. If there were seperate perks for 'styles' of armor/weapons that needed to be unlocked before they could be smithed in that form, I think it would be fine, and would be mroe interesting than the arbitrary magic tiered metals they introduced like malachite and corrundium and orichalcum. One of the thigns I liked in morrowind was the great variety of arms and armor, even among the same material. Iron and steel had nordic and imperial variants, there were several varieties of leather armor, and there were something like 6 variants of bonemold (if one includes the two forms of ordinator armor) plus a few redoran helmet variants. There were also three variants of daedric helmet, and five varieties of nordic fur armor. It certainly felt like there were different varieties of cultures in the world. Having different styles of armor of the same material would go a long way IMO of making Skyrim be a little bit more diverse. smithing could have been a great vehicle for this, but it isn't.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #6425 on: June 28, 2012, 08:10:38 pm »

Between SkyRe and several other mods, I'm actually finding this game to be interesting (I'd pretty much given up hope).

Of course, it's harder than hell now... I'd say the difficulty is comparable to Gothic. Basically, I'm getting my ass handed to me by everything stronger than a thirteen year old dishwasher if I'm not careful. Just the way I like it.  :D

Also, with adjusted lighting for realism, graphical packs to fix terrain/flora/water/skies, additional weapons, a better interface, a greater variety of (TOUGH!) dragons, and replacing all of the corny music with actual Nordic traditional music... this is quite enjoyable. IMHO the atmosphere is still lacking the awesome alien quality Morrowind had, but oh well. It still looks great. The lighting fix is huge; it actually forces me to use torches and/or night-eye (or vampire sight), and dungeons are actually scary.

Thank goodness for modding. It's definitely a saving grace in what was initially a really bland and overblown game.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6426 on: June 28, 2012, 11:07:34 pm »

The lighting fix is huge; it actually forces me to use torches and/or night-eye (or vampire sight), and dungeons are actually scary.
Oh yeah, with corrected ambient lighting this game is scary as HELL. Especially since draugr by default don't make ANY sound when they're in the 'sit and wait and rape you from behind' mode. You're creep creep creeping through the dungeon watching every shadow now, instead of walking confidently through the ancient halls of the dead picking off the enemies hiding in the 'shadowed' (well-lit) alcoves.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: June 28, 2012, 11:50:18 pm »

Meh, with enough Orc Berserk Hammertime, draugr still can't touch this.

*hears footstep as draugr steps out of coffin*
*whirls around with das hammer*
*curses as the draugr clips back through the coffin and can no longer be targeted for looting*

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6428 on: June 29, 2012, 12:01:35 am »

Meh, with enough Orc Berserk Hammertime, draugr still can't touch this.

*hears footstep as draugr steps out of coffin*
*whirls around with das hammer*
*curses as the draugr clips back through the coffin and can no longer be targeted for looting*
All praise Das Hammer

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #6429 on: June 29, 2012, 12:48:24 am »

I just started again with SkyRe and its tough as hell, i had to turn it down to expert and i still get the crap stomped out of me playing a melee focused character. Fun.
I got nothing

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: June 29, 2012, 01:49:05 am »

Holy good goddamn. Does anyone else have a problem where if they're sneaking and fire a bow at an enemy, that enemy will slide about two feet to the side just before the arrow would have hit them? It's happened to me so often that I'm starting to think it's a bugged dodging animation that just keeps playing when they shouldn't even know someone's shooting at them.

On that topic firing a bow at range is stupidly hard. That's less of a complaint and more a self-pitying acknowledgement that I suck bad but holy shit I've wasted upwards of 100 arrows trying to hit stationary targets at less than 50 meters.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:51:36 am by Jackrabbit »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: June 29, 2012, 01:50:08 am »

The range at which the arrow will just pass right through targets is stupidly low. No outdoor sniping!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: June 29, 2012, 01:55:44 am »

So it isn't just me? I suspected they were doing that but figured I was just kinda shit.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: June 29, 2012, 01:57:16 am »

I dunno about moving to the left suddenly, but I have seen arrows go through distant targets. Interesting note: the arrows go through, but spells still hit at these ranges.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: June 29, 2012, 05:32:49 am »

By default, arrows have auto targeting. Disabling it makes it much harder to aim, but more accurate if you're already good at sniping.

Oh, and I hate how arrows are so short-ranged.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 896