Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550091 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #6780 on: August 09, 2012, 01:41:16 pm »

Ugh, they are going to keep the whole malachite = glass in this mod. Aside from that, it is looking good.
Seeing as it is now canon, I don't think they can just ignore it. Entirely possible that what the people of Tamriel refer to as malachite isn't what WE think of as malachite. I mean they refer to another glass as Ebony, which to us is a wood.

Had this whole debate several pages back already. For the record, though, what I find jarring about this is that they came up with a new name for something they already have a name for, and used malachite even though they already have copper and corundum even though they already have rubies and sapphires. It might not be canon in the next game, as the developers change many things; like how they are indecisive about whether adamantium and mithril exist. Anyway, though, we've already had this discussion, and all voiced our opinions about it several pages back.

I must say, a TES RTS would be pretty damn cool. I think that they should be making one instead of an MMO, given the negative reaction they got. What most people fear is that they'll drop the single player in favor of the MMO due to constant revenue, and that the MMO will become a WoW clone (as has happened to more than a few franchises.)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: August 09, 2012, 02:00:49 pm »

What most people fear is that they'll drop the single player in favor of the MMO due to constant revenue, and that the MMO will become a WoW clone (as has happened to more than a few franchises.)
From what I've seen, it's heading in that direction, and it will crash and burn like all the other MMOs who tried to clone WoW. It's hard to beat someone that established at their own game. SWTOR found this out the hard way, and they're going free to play a mere nine months after its release, which is a death sentence to any newer MMO.

On the other hand, they profess it to be more real time combat-y than you think, but that hasn't ever stopped people from eschewing making something unique in favor of trying to copy something that works. I'm still wary of the fact that there are three distinct "sides" to it, with 3 races playable per side, as well as constraining people to a class based system and making dungeon instances (likely) impossible to solo without a group.

I would love to see an Elder Scrolls RTS, but action games and MMOs tend to sell much better than things that require a modicum of thinking and aren't Starcraft 2. Nord frontline warriors and Orc shock troopers supported by Breton summoners and healers, Bosmer archers and long range Altmer mage bombardment...
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: August 09, 2012, 02:32:21 pm »

I've got to admit, I can't conceive of why an ES MMO would have classes in any form beyond "starter packages" of a sort, and a thing for NPC's/companions.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: August 09, 2012, 02:43:34 pm »

From the video in that article I heard them say that if one wants to be a mage and then use a bow, it's possible. I'm really hoping the classes are more of "starter packages" as said by Sensei.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: August 09, 2012, 03:23:22 pm »

Sounds like it will be a lot like DC Universe Online, which is pretty unique as MMO's go (though you run out of things to do in DCUO fairly fast.)

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: August 11, 2012, 04:16:15 pm »

Anyone have some experience with the construction kit who can point me in the right direction?

I am trying to make one rich vendor to sell all my crap to instead of having to travel between all the cities or wait for a reup since that takes far too much time. I know there are mods out there that make all the vendors rich but the thing is, I just want ONE vendor to be rich, the others should stay as they are. I figured Belethor (general goods guy in Whiterun) would be a good choice so I looked up what seems to be his actual shop entity. I don't have the kit up right now but I believe it was called something like WhiterunGeneralGoodsChest or BelethorGeneralGoodsChest or something like that. Anyways I noticed that the part that seems to hold the actual gold amount is VendorGoldMisc.
So what I did was that I made a duplicate of VendorGoldMisc and renamed it to VendorGoldBelethor, then I changed the gold amount to 20000 and made it so Belethor's shop calls VendorGoldBelethor instead of VendorGoldMisc.

Only issue is he still only has the normal amount of gold. I have tried refreshing his inventory a few times by waiting, traveling and restarting Skyrim but nothing changes.

What am I missing? (Other than my sweet sweet Creeper, oh you beautiful scamp how I wish you had moved to Skyrim.)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: August 11, 2012, 04:23:45 pm »

Creeper is probably Barbas :)

Anyway, if I know anything from the Fallout CK, shouldn't there be a field that says ShopGold or something?

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: August 11, 2012, 07:55:22 pm »

Which mods should I have for a better mage experience? I have a save that's Vanilla+Midas Magic, but that's a bit shallow.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: August 11, 2012, 07:59:02 pm »

I don't use magic, despite having Midas. I'm trying something new. Stealth. And also playing with out godmode because I have to see what ALL the traps do! But I've had fun with HS weapons. BOING! BOING! I'm also playing with an appearance mod that allows me to pretend to be half-daedra.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: August 11, 2012, 08:29:54 pm »

I don't use magic, despite having Midas. I'm trying something new. Stealth. And also playing with out godmode because I have to see what ALL the traps do! But I've had fun with HS weapons. BOING! BOING! I'm also playing with an appearance mod that allows me to pretend to be half-daedra.
Stealth is fun. Makes a bit harder to defeat dragons (and a couple fights where you can't sneak and backstab), but at high stealth levels, specially against humanoids, you'll cut through them like an invisible hot knife through butter. Consider specializing at potions as well, it synergizes really well with Stealth.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: August 11, 2012, 08:37:40 pm »

I just stealth for the slowmo of a Bosmer Bandit Outlaw being shot with a Falmer Bow in Helgen from about 125 feet away.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: August 12, 2012, 12:12:02 am »

Illusion + Stealth works really well against humanoids (hell, illusion by itself does with perks, followed by stealth+pickpocketing+backstabbing+putting their stolen items back onto their corpse to remove the stolen flag before taking them again), and if you're using one-handed weapons, dragons won't be a problem if you proceed through the main quest until you get Dragonbane, and if you are doing daedric quests (specifically, Peryite's). Of course, that's not considering changes made by mods.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #6792 on: August 12, 2012, 02:09:12 am »

stealth makes the game quite easy
I got nothing

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: August 12, 2012, 04:16:46 am »

stealth makes the game quite easy
Except against a few kinds of enemies though. Some animals, who seem to have much better sense than humans, and dragons, whom sneak is less than effective in most cases. With my stealth character, against animals I can still try some ranged stealth plus a bit of poison, and against dragons I give them enough poison to drop, well, a dragon. :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: August 12, 2012, 08:09:47 am »

Well, when sneaking, dragons do have more trouble noticing you. Not that you would want to sneak across the overworld...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 896