Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558548 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #7725 on: December 17, 2012, 10:13:46 pm »

If they're going to keep doing things that way, they need to take further steps to embrace it.  Develop some official infrastructure for the modding community, like an official Bethesda tool that does something like what the Nexus Mod Manager or Steam Workshop tries to do, but tied directly into the game.  And put more work into the engine between games.  The engine is the main selling point for any game that depends on mods.  Id operated this way for many years, and they were so successful at it because their game engines were top notch and the improvements between each were major and obvious.
game engines top notch? have you ever experience the crashes? sure modding is awesome on it but hell the hard code is crap :/

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7726 on: December 17, 2012, 10:16:12 pm »

If they're going to keep doing things that way, they need to take further steps to embrace it.  Develop some official infrastructure for the modding community, like an official Bethesda tool that does something like what the Nexus Mod Manager or Steam Workshop tries to do, but tied directly into the game.  And put more work into the engine between games.  The engine is the main selling point for any game that depends on mods.  Id operated this way for many years, and they were so successful at it because their game engines were top notch and the improvements between each were major and obvious.
game engines top notch? have you ever experience the crashes? sure modding is awesome on it but hell the hard code is crap :/

They were always the best for their time from around the mid-90s to early-2000s in terms of capability, as far as I'm aware.  You're talking about Id's engines, right?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7727 on: December 17, 2012, 10:20:04 pm »

You know what I hate the most though? The change in art direction. The series suddenly started sucking Tolkien's dick and lost all it's charm.
To be fair, they only really stopped for the duration of Morrowind. You seen the earlier games? Anyway, though, I find Skyrim to have a unique look to it, maybe not as out there as Morrowind's but no more ogres/minotaurs/imps around either.
I played Daggerfall sometime after it was released for free with a gog-style windows 7 ready installer. Never touched arena. Yes, they are pretty bland. I started with Morrowind on the Xbox (And the UI was STILL superior even on the Xbox). From my perspective, the series started with Morrowind and I was charmed by the art direction. As such, it's pretty obvious why this bothers me as much as it does. To me, the fact it wasn't always like that doesn't excuse what happened.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7728 on: December 17, 2012, 10:25:08 pm »

They were always the best for their time from around the mid-90s to early-2000s in terms of capability, as far as I'm aware.  You're talking about Id's engines, right?
sorry didn't know you were talking about ID Tech Engines, thought you were talking about about the Gamebryo Engine or the "Creation" Engine (i know damn well thats nothing new). If they were smart they should start utilizing some of Id Tech components since Zenimax owns it.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #7729 on: December 17, 2012, 10:30:06 pm »

To me, the fact it wasn't always like that doesn't excuse what happened.
Why wouldn't it? Don't get me wrong, I started with Morrowind too and I think it has the most beautiful art direction in any game I've played. Vvardenfell was alien, and it was amazing, and I would love a game like that. But it wouldn't make sense for Cyrodil or Skyrim. Look at the art direction in Shivering Isles. Amazing, wondrous even, but it would be against lore to do something like that for Cyrodil itself and you'd have just as many complaints.

I wish they would make a game like Morrowind again, but they couldn't do it with the provinces they're picking, and as such my major complaint is that they're picking the most vanilla places they can. If we got a Black Marsh or and Elsweyr I'd bet it would even surpass Morrowind in beauty, but I doubt Bethsoft wants to ruin the mystery for those places so I doubt we'll see them. As it stands, Skyrim is excellent for what it is, and I enjoyed the world a whole lot more than I expected I would (which is to say I enjoyed it at all).
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7730 on: December 17, 2012, 11:07:42 pm »

I'd like to see Elsweyr. I'd be a pain to have to model several different types of Kajiit though, but the mods.

I'm imagining cat-bowling. With talking bowlingballs. By which I mean bowling with Kajiiti as the unfortunate ball. Because modders are the best kind of assholes.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7731 on: December 17, 2012, 11:38:51 pm »

To me, the fact it wasn't always like that doesn't excuse what happened.
Why wouldn't it? Don't get me wrong, I started with Morrowind too and I think it has the most beautiful art direction in any game I've played. Vvardenfell was alien, and it was amazing, and I would love a game like that. But it wouldn't make sense for Cyrodil or Skyrim. Look at the art direction in Shivering Isles. Amazing, wondrous even, but it would be against lore to do something like that for Cyrodil itself and you'd have just as many complaints.

Cyrodiil was a jungle before Oblivion came out.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #7732 on: December 17, 2012, 11:48:54 pm »

I know. But SI or Morrowind design still wouldn't have worked for that.

Honestly I always thought the whole Jungle + Roman Empire analogue was a bit dumb. I thought Oblivion's world design was mediocre at best, but I don't think it would have been any better without that little retcon.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7733 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50:35 pm »

Im curious; how would a jungle province border Skyrim?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7734 on: December 17, 2012, 11:52:04 pm »

Well to be honest...the most fun I had in Oblivion was the sewers. The game after that was...bland...but I don't like the typical green fantasy land.

Morrowind intro was nice and short, and the game was good

I like Skyrim's intro the least...I find it utterly boring. Oblivion sewers had atmosphere going for them...which is kinda what I like. However, I like the game itself a lot more than I do Oblivion. Can't really compare with Morrowind, since they are vastly different.

In any case, I don't play any of the three without mods...vanilla sucks :P
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #7735 on: December 17, 2012, 11:54:00 pm »

Only the Nibenay was jungle. I think the Jeralls were still Jerrall-y.

Still doesn't make much sense though, you're right.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7736 on: December 17, 2012, 11:58:12 pm »

Only the Nibenay was jungle. I think the Jeralls were still Jerrall-y.

Still doesn't make much sense though, you're right.

A high mountain range could block the cold, northerly winds, and then further warming could come from a strong ocean current.  Maybe add in some extreme local volcanism?  Still a large stretch, but there are places on earth that are much warmer than they should be according to their distance from the equator.

Plus magic.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7737 on: December 18, 2012, 12:23:14 am »

Vvardenfell is parallel with Skyrim in latitude but has extreme local volcanism and warm ocean currents, with jungles and swamps in the rest of the province to the south. And the south/east areas of Cyrodil were supposed to look like Black Marsh / Elswyr, but in Oblivion they look like so much English forest.

For goodness sake, they could have AT LEAST given some of the imperial city greco-roman-esque architecture. And why is every fort outside the towns abandoned, and look like they have been for centuries? Has the legion this whole time been about 100 people with clever smoke and mirrors pretending to be a massive Imperial army?

One thing I miss from oblivion, though, is being able to fling a spell whenever, whatever you're holding.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7738 on: December 18, 2012, 08:36:33 am »

Has the legion this whole time been about 100 people with clever smoke and mirrors pretending to be a massive Imperial army?
Considering the Imperial City, capital of the entire empire, has about 20 people living in it, I don't find this difficult to believe.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7739 on: December 18, 2012, 11:21:26 am »

I think that if Oblivion got rid of all the Oblivion parts of the assassination, and instead was about a regular emperor's death, and then the power strugle afterwards, then it would have been far better. I would have expanded the imperial city to be the whole gameworld, make it feel large enough to have a population of a million or so, even though it might only have a few thousand NPCs.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 896