Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558955 times)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #7740 on: December 18, 2012, 11:22:41 am »

I think that if Oblivion got rid of all the Oblivion parts of the assassination, and instead was about a regular emperor's death, and then the power strugle afterwards, then it would have been far better. I would have expanded the imperial city to be the whole gameworld, make it feel large enough to have a population of a million or so, even though it might only have a few thousand NPCs.
That would be more of a spinoff than anything else.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7741 on: December 18, 2012, 07:16:48 pm »

I think that if Oblivion got rid of all the Oblivion parts of the assassination, and instead was about a regular emperor's death, and then the power strugle afterwards, then it would have been far better. I would have expanded the imperial city to be the whole gameworld, make it feel large enough to have a population of a million or so, even though it might only have a few thousand NPCs.

Man, that guy was the emperor from every game all the way to Oblivion. They needed something big to kill that guy off.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:52:49 pm by Putnam »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: December 18, 2012, 07:41:09 pm »

Besides in not Elder Scrolls with out a God having fun Daedric or other wise.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:44:31 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: December 18, 2012, 10:55:01 pm »

And sound suspiciously like a high fantasy GTA w/o involving too many criminal gangs.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #7744 on: December 18, 2012, 11:07:13 pm »

Although that does sound like it would make for a very interesting spinoff. And now it wouldn't be a problem since none of the emperors matter anymore

Spoiler: Major Spoilers (click to show/hide)
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7745 on: December 19, 2012, 04:09:01 am »

It wasn't particularly climactic, some dude walked from a hidden door and shanked him in the guts while you watched.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7746 on: December 19, 2012, 08:07:49 am »

It wasn't particularly climactic, some dude walked from a hidden door and shanked him in the guts while you watched.

I think he is more refering to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in Skyrim.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7747 on: December 19, 2012, 08:31:58 am »

Ahh, I was talking about Oblivion, more or less the emperor was shanked by just some dude. Apologies for not being clear.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: December 19, 2012, 10:39:42 am »

I always found that a tad annoying with Oblivion.  You just get out of prison, at your weakes,t and yet you could kill the cultists who attacked with a single hit. And yet the old man, the Emporer, could not protect himself from a single stroke? Made little sense to me, even if his death was to be climactic.   Would ahve been better if his dragon spirit had errupted out of his body and engulfed the fool who killed him, but alas, it was not to be.

On another note, I enjoyed killing the Emperor during the Dark Brotherhood questline.  Served the old fool right; although I wish it had more of a game-balance impact if you did it before the main questline or the civil war.   Now that would have been pretty cool.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7749 on: December 19, 2012, 12:24:44 pm »

It does make a slight difference if you do it before signing up to fight for the Imperials in the civil war as the oath is slightly altered.

But I agree it would be better if it had a bigger effect, Imperial forces going into disarray, Thalmor taking more advantage of the chaos and so on.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: December 19, 2012, 01:29:48 pm »

But I agree it would be better if it had a bigger effect, Imperial forces going into disarray, Thalmor taking more advantage of the chaos and so on.
Isn't that the case with everything in every TES game? There's a ton of stuff to do but most of it has little to no impact. Slightly different dialogue in places and an occasional "hey, aren't you the guy who did _____?" from passers by and that's about it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: December 19, 2012, 06:29:08 pm »

in Skyrim.

No, I mean Oblivion. Uriel Septim, who gets assassinated at the start of Oblivion, was the guy you save in Arena, the guy who sends you to Daggerfall in... Dagerfall, and the guy who pardons you in Morrowind. He starts all of the quests up through Oblivion.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: December 19, 2012, 06:52:29 pm »

I always found that a tad annoying with Oblivion.  You just get out of prison, at your weakes,t and yet you could kill the cultists who attacked with a single hit.

I don't know about you, but those cultists kicked my ass. I mean sure, you could take one of them on if you were willing to trade the majority of your HP, but otherwise you got Boris to tank the hits!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: December 19, 2012, 08:08:00 pm »

It does make a slight difference if you do it before signing up to fight for the Imperials in the civil war as the oath is slightly altered.

Personally, I think the ability to assassinate the emperor in Skyrim is one of the stupidest, most pointless things in all of TES. I mean, given how much something like that should affect all of Tamriel, you can't really afford to have it as anything less than a main quest, but since the last game already did that, it's relegated to a faction questline. They really shouldn't give you huge decisions that logically should shake things up considerably unless they're prepared to let you see the consequences.

As the 2nd main quest, they had time to put weight into the outcome of the Civil war. Whatever side you carry to victory, it changes things noticeably: half the rulers get changed, some people disappear/die, everyone speaks to you differently in the cities, guards are replaced. But the death of the leader of most of humanity? Shaking up the organization of mankind just when they need to save face to avoid getting pounced on by the Thalmor? The kind of disturbance which many, many factions are waiting to take advantage of? Not a single fuck is given.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #7754 on: December 19, 2012, 08:17:38 pm »

in Skyrim.

No, I mean Oblivion. Uriel Septim, who gets assassinated at the start of Oblivion, was the guy you save in Arena, the guy who sends you to Daggerfall in... Dagerfall, and the guy who pardons you in Morrowind. He starts all of the quests up through Oblivion.

I started with Oblivion, but didn't those guys have different roman numerals after their names? I thought more time passed between games.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 896