Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558837 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8700 on: April 12, 2013, 01:10:26 pm »

Besides, even if you don't like the dawnguard main quest, it still adds crossbows, chaurus reapers, female falmer and some side quests (including a very long one)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: April 12, 2013, 02:51:25 pm »

Not to mention the awesomely overpowered Auriel's shield and Dawnguard Rune Axe
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: April 12, 2013, 04:57:16 pm »

Why? It's got what TES games have been sorely lacking: actual climactic boss fights! Let's face it, every game has pretty much been you fight some mage and then the big clash of the titans stuff gets handled by a cinematic. The fight with the corrupted priest guy was one of the most awesome things of all the games. I just wish he used telekinesis in the 2nd part instead of pulling out a dagger.

Is that why Skyrim lacked? I thought it was quest design fitting an open world game, good plots, or believable or engaging characters.
Love, scriver~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8703 on: April 12, 2013, 05:21:52 pm »

Yeah, like Mannimarco in. God damn what a lame boss fight. He uses his instant-kill soul-trap spell, but it doesn't work on you because spoilers. Then he's a slightly above-average mage.

He should have been, you know, the world's most powerful necromancer. Using master-level spells as if they were a newbie's 3-damage on-touch fire spell.

I guess you could excuse that the Warp in the West caused him to depower a bit due to the dichotomy between the God of Worms Mannimarco and the King of Worms Mannimarco, but TBH the Warp in the West is a pretty lame-ass excuse for anything.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: April 12, 2013, 05:24:17 pm »

Yeah, like Mannimarco in. God damn what a lame boss fight. He uses his instant-kill soul-trap spell, but it doesn't work on you because spoilers. Then he's a slightly above-average mage.

He should have been, you know, the world's most powerful necromancer. Using master-level spells as if they were a newbie's 3-damage on-touch fire spell.

I guess you could excuse that the Warp in the West caused him to depower a bit due to the dichotomy between the God of Worms Mannimarco and the King of Worms Mannimarco, but TBH the Warp in the West is a pretty lame-ass excuse for anything.
I personally believe that "mannimarco" was just a necromancer mantling the real king of worms.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: April 12, 2013, 05:26:55 pm »

Man, I don't care. It was still anti-climactic as FUCK.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: April 12, 2013, 10:55:55 pm »

Besides, even if you don't like the dawnguard main quest, it still adds crossbows, chaurus reapers, female falmer and some side quests (including a very long one)

Not to mention the awesomely overpowered Auriel's shield and Dawnguard Rune Axe

Not to mention, the overpowered vampire NPCs and their fell-to-earth-from-a-much-more-loose-fantasy dimension dog-thingoids, which roam the already desolate province of Skyrim seeking to systematically erase ambient and quest-giving NPCs alike and generally trample or undermine what atmosphere the game offered, while offering little themselves, aside from the occasional round of !!FUN!! and a big mess to clean up.

In short, while TES (especially the first two games) has never exercised a great deal of discretion in what they stock their fantasy world with, I felt that Dawnguard was truly over the top and didn't compliment, but digressed from the original game.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:01:01 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8707 on: April 13, 2013, 04:18:53 am »

I'd complain, but I love the supply of free crafting materials gargoyles drop, and it never ceases to amuse me when I get jumped by a dragon, a vampire group, and a Dark Brotherhood assassin all at the same time while I'm murdering me some bandits. AI clusterfucks are just great. I just made sure not to switch off essential this time around, and don't really care if the non-essentials die. Their quests aren't usually so unique that I'll feel like I missed out.

Also, I like crossbows, and a lot of mods I've got installed depend on Dawnguard. Doesn't hurt that I'm actually playing a vampire anyway. Sided with the Dawnguard, because
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]. Was depressed when they made me stop being a vampire for a while. Had Serana fix it as soon as I could. So nyeh :P
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: April 13, 2013, 04:58:09 am »

I just made sure not to switch off essential this time around, and don't really care if the non-essentials die. Their quests aren't usually so unique that I'll feel like I missed out.

A fair point- it's not a world-ender mechanically. The thing is, when I'm in the mood for some Skyrim, I roleplay religiously. Ergo...

...it never ceases to amuse me when I get jumped by a dragon, a vampire group, and a Dark Brotherhood assassin all at the same time while I'm murdering me some bandits. AI clusterfucks are just great.

Lollipops in Batman's pocket man, it's bad enough reloading three consecutive times from the usual Dark Brotherhood-Dragon Cult-Alduin Alliance ambushes.

It a make a me sad.  :'(

“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8709 on: April 13, 2013, 05:04:25 am »

Clearly, Hircine is more powerful than Molag Bal. Fully upgraded werewolf can pretty much kill anything in the game, no worries, including Lord Harkon. But I had to reload, since Isran attacked me when he came in. Oh well, glitched amulet of talos is also very powerful...

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8710 on: April 13, 2013, 05:07:08 am »

Am I the only person in this thread who deliberately cripples themself for sake of game balance?

Glass/daedric weapons? heavy armor? WAS THAT?! :D

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8711 on: April 13, 2013, 11:37:05 am »

Fists only, here, on my most recent character.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: April 13, 2013, 02:14:13 pm »

Am I the only person in this thread who deliberately cripples themself for sake of game balance?

Glass/daedric weapons? heavy armor? WAS THAT?! :D
Actually, without mods, light armour is simply superior to heavy armour. Especially thanks to the low armour rating cap.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8713 on: April 13, 2013, 10:47:45 pm »

Funnily enough, the opposite was true in Oblivion. In Oblivion, heavy armor was better because it has higher durability and, at 100 skill, it has the same encumbrance as light armor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8714 on: April 14, 2013, 12:27:19 am »

Skyrim is just a balancing mess and was, obviously, not even attempted to be balanced in anyway because of the growing casual market.

If you care about balance you weren't part of this game's market.
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 896