Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550198 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9315 on: August 29, 2013, 06:29:09 am »

Now try it as a low-level, armorless, Non-Dunmer, vampire mage. With difficulty-increasing mods. Bonus points if you're an Altmer with the Apprentice sign. More bonus points if you do it without Restoration and Alchemy (including exploits). More bonus points for doing it without shouts.

Thank Sithis for UFO. Soon I'll have a veritable follower army to bring those flaming horrors down.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9316 on: August 29, 2013, 12:31:42 pm »

Thank Sithis

"Sithis doesn't real!"
-Lore experts

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: August 29, 2013, 02:05:48 pm »

Don't you mean "thank the night mother?"

Is it just me, or did Dragonborn try to retcon the Morag Tong as Sithis-worshiping mercenaries? They acted more like hired thugs/soldiers than secret assassins. Maybe that Dunmer guy is just being unreliable about their worship, though.

Also, I wish the Tong would thank you for wiping out their sworn enemies, which you can do.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: August 29, 2013, 02:26:42 pm »

I would presume that, like the Brotherhood, the Tong had regressed into lawless killers by that point. No rules, no discipline.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9319 on: August 29, 2013, 02:47:45 pm »

Dunmer have never liked outlanders, so they may simply consider you to be outlander scum.

Or, since the Brotherhood was already down to it's last sanctuary, they just assumed it had already been destroyed long ago.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9320 on: August 29, 2013, 02:53:56 pm »

Is it just me, or did Dragonborn try to retcon the Morag Tong as Sithis-worshiping mercenaries? They acted more like hired thugs/soldiers than secret assassins. Maybe that Dunmer guy is just being unreliable about their worship, though.

Also, I wish the Tong would thank you for wiping out their sworn enemies, which you can do.

When I hear "Sithis-worshiping", it reminds me of when the beggars in Oblivion say "Blessings of Anu upon ye". Padhome and Anu can't do anything by definition. They were the first of AE, that created Aurbis. Their souls, Anui-el and Sithis, can't do anything either; they are forces, not spirits. Now, Padhome does have a big influence on Aurbis in the form of Mundus, which has mortals with free will. Similarly, Lorkhan is very kindred with Padhome, and his Shezzarine are very given to world-changing events (see: Pelinal Whitestrake, Champion of Cyrodiil, Zurin Arctus, Ysmir Wulfarth, Nerevarine?). However, Padhome isn't doing anything there--it's just a pressure on Sithis, which has pressure on Lorkhan, which has incarnations in these mortals.

But worshiping Sithis itself? Probably Mephala messing around.

I would presume that, like the Brotherhood, the Tong had regressed into lawless killers by that point. No rules, no discipline.

Man, the 4th Era is pretty shit. This Kalpa has lasted longer than usual, apparently, no doubt due to Alduin's strange impulse to conquer rather than devour. Then came Convention 2.0, solidifying further this Kalpa's continuation. The Aldmeri Dominion no doubt wants to end not just Mundus but the entire Kalpic cycle, but we'll see how that turns out. (There's a 5th era, so probably not)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9321 on: August 29, 2013, 03:13:57 pm »

Except, that former Tong guy in the Thieves' guild says that they keep to the old ways, and though much smaller they continue with the whole honorable writs thing.

I will flip a shit if Bethesda turns the Morag Tong into just another bandit clan.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9322 on: August 29, 2013, 04:53:57 pm »

I am quite certain none of the player characters were Shezzarines. The thought of Sheogorath being Lorkhan is amusing, however.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9323 on: August 29, 2013, 05:12:15 pm »

When I hear "Sithis-worshiping", it reminds me of when the beggars in Oblivion say "Blessings of Anu upon ye". Padhome and Anu can't do anything by definition. They were the first of AE, that created Aurbis. Their souls, Anui-el and Sithis, can't do anything either; they are forces, not spirits. Now, Padhome does have a big influence on Aurbis in the form of Mundus, which has mortals with free will. Similarly, Lorkhan is very kindred with Padhome, and his Shezzarine are very given to world-changing events (see: Pelinal Whitestrake, Champion of Cyrodiil, Zurin Arctus, Ysmir Wulfarth, Nerevarine?). However, Padhome isn't doing anything there--it's just a pressure on Sithis, which has pressure on Lorkhan, which has incarnations in these mortals.

But worshiping Sithis itself? Probably Mephala messing around.
Hey, if I want to worship a rock, I'll worship a rock and you can't stop me. Kynareth be damned. :P

Although now I want to know how TES lore has separated souls and spirits. Souls can't do anything but spirits can? Is "soul gem" thus a misnomer or are spirits transformed into souls upon being trapped? I think some definitions are in order to make sense of it.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: August 29, 2013, 05:28:14 pm »

I am quite certain none of the player characters were Shezzarines. The thought of Sheogorath being Lorkhan is amusing, however.

I know for a fact that the Champion of Cyrodiil is, at the very least, Pelinaline, which would make him/her Shezarrine by proxy. Mind that Knights of the Nine, Oblivion's MQ and Shivering Isles are all canonically done by the CoC.

S/he follows the steps of Pelinal Whitestrake closely. The Champion of Cyrodiil, borne into the world a Padomaic, emblematic of great change, is the insane champion of a Dragonborn emperor foreseen previously in the dreams of one, who has significant ties to Akatosh and defeated Umaril the Unfeathered. Yeah, this is all pretty familiar.

Sheogorath being Lorkhan isn't exactly unimaginable. The two have very close ties, both being extremely Padomaic, both being associated with serpents (Sheogorath perhaps being the unstars themselves that make up the constellation), and yet both having strangely opposing goals (again, tying in to the Pelinal similarity--Pelinal was insane due to his close ties to both Lorkhan and Akatosh, whose spheres and goals are opposing). Jyggalag himself has goals completely opposite of Lorkhan. Lorkhan saw the tower and wished others to have free will--mortals, that is--so they may reach CHIM and Amaranth beyond. Jyggalag hates the entire idea of free will, as that is Sithis, which he hates.

I wish I could write about Elder Scrolls lore without sounding so obtuse, but the terminology I have to use tends to require entire essays of themselves :P

Hey, if I want to worship a rock, I'll worship a rock and you can't stop me. Kynareth be damned. :P

Although now I want to know how TES lore has separated souls and spirits. Souls can't do anything but spirits can? Is "soul gem" thus a misnomer or are spirits transformed into souls upon being trapped? I think some definitions are in order to make sense of it.

By "spirit", I mean Et'Ada, the spirits that became Aedra and Daedra and Earthbones and Mortals. They are of a lesser subgradient than Sithis and Anui-el.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9325 on: August 29, 2013, 05:50:53 pm »

I know for a fact that the Champion of Cyrodiil is, at the very least, Pelinaline, which would make him/her Shezarrine by proxy. Mind that Knights of the Nine, Oblivion's MQ and Shivering Isles are all canonically done by the CoC.
I guess that makes sense, being at least shezzarine by mantling one. What I meant about Sheogorath being Lorkhan was the "new" Sheogorath (The Champion of Cyrodiil) being a shezzarine, and thus being Lorkhan, rather than the "old" one (Jyggalag).

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #9326 on: August 29, 2013, 06:17:35 pm »

Hey, anyone ever used Chain Lightning right under an average, one-shot-kill Bandit? It sends them straight into the air!

Obviously, since it makes them lighter, they float upwards.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9327 on: August 29, 2013, 07:49:21 pm »

Just found a Dwemer Fortress in Blackreach, full of overly elaborate traps, levers, lots of valuable ores, ingots and mining veins.

Ok so it's a mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16049//?
It's on the Nexus so those of you trying to avoid that place, you can dismiss my post entirely.

Also, it's not exactly a new mod, but I just found out about it and frankly, I love it. :p

Edit: Tough it got a few minor bugs, but the modder still seem to be working on it.
Edit2: Wait, last update was in.. Februray.. oh well still a nice mod.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 07:52:33 pm by Ultimuh »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9328 on: August 29, 2013, 07:52:34 pm »

What I want isn't really so much a mod that's lore friendly so much as lore masturbatory. There isn't one that I can find for Skyrim, though :(

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: August 29, 2013, 09:46:15 pm »

What I want isn't really so much a mod that's lore friendly so much as lore masturbatory. There isn't one that I can find for Skyrim, though :(

I feel you. In the empathetical sense, I mean. Not in the way a mod like that would feel you.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 896