Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550151 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9990 on: January 08, 2014, 04:05:08 pm »

The main quest explains it to you in no uncertain terms that Alduin was sent into the future by the Elder Scroll and he happened to come out at the time of the game.

* Devastator nods.

When do you learn this?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9992 on: January 08, 2014, 04:28:52 pm »

And then you go see for yourself, since the Elder Scroll you rob from the Dwemer ruin allows you to peak through the little tear in time left on the spot where they did it.

Paarthurnax also tells you that Dragons are fairly sensitive to time, being so descended from the God of Time.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9993 on: January 08, 2014, 04:29:49 pm »

And then you go see for yourself, since the Elder Scroll you rob from the Dwemer ruin allows you to peak through the little tear in time left on the spot where they did it.

Does it show him being banished and arriving at Helgen, or just being banished?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:34:05 pm by Devastator »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9994 on: January 08, 2014, 04:48:48 pm »

Just being banished. It's said by Paarthurnax that he showed up again.

Occam's razor says he came out of the time wound and headed to Helgen immediately after getting out.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9995 on: January 08, 2014, 05:07:17 pm »

Basically, the reason Paarthurnax was camped on that mountain the whole time was because he know Alduin would show up there, he just didn't know when.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9996 on: January 08, 2014, 05:25:50 pm »

Why he didn't intercept Alduin when he did show up, I forget. Perhaps he forgot to buy milk that day, and so was visiting a local dairy. I assume he must have had some kind of plan laid out, or else it would be kind of silly to hang around the one place you can be sure your invincible archnemesis will find you. The Greybeards must've had a hell of a shock, though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9997 on: January 08, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »

Wouldn't it have been pretty moot for Paarthunax to confront Alduin when he came back anyway?  The only way to have killed him would've been via dragonborn soul-absorbing abilities, and Paarthunax was fresh out of those.  Also Alduin was a pretty unstoppable killing machine anyway (in lore, we all know in practice that he's a wimp without mods), and Paarthunax had been teaching a strange sense of pacifism anyway.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9998 on: January 08, 2014, 05:39:30 pm »

Wouldn't it have been pretty moot for Paarthunax to confront Alduin when he came back anyway?  The only way to have killed him would've been via dragonborn soul-absorbing abilities, and Paarthunax was fresh out of those.  Also Alduin was a pretty unstoppable killing machine anyway (in lore, we all know in practice that he's a wimp without mods), and Paarthunax had been teaching a strange sense of pacifism anyway.
One could argue that Alduin was a wimp because it was not yet the Kalpa's end. I assume that he is pretty much invincible when world-eating time comes.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9999 on: January 08, 2014, 05:57:49 pm »

I got the impression that Parthurnaax was camped out where he was to practice his Way in isolation and clarity, and had more or less resigned himself to the destruction of creation. Then up comes the Dovahkiin, throws the Teachings of Buddha down the mountain, and proceeds to go Nietzsche on Skyrim.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:59:50 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #10000 on: January 08, 2014, 05:58:44 pm »

Okay, got myself a list of mods. I SHALL SEE THEE WHEN I FINISH DOWNLOADS AND WHATNOT

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10001 on: January 08, 2014, 06:05:06 pm »

I got the impression that Parthurnaax was camped out where he was to practice his Way in isolation and clarity, and had more or less resigned himself to the destruction of creation. Then up comes the Dovahkiin, throws the Teachings of Buddha down the mountain, and proceeds to go Nietzsche on Skyrim.
So you're thinking the plan was that he'd let Alduin kill him before anyone else? That does kind of make sense.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10002 on: January 08, 2014, 08:39:41 pm »

Thank The Nine for this plugin for TES5Edit.
Now I can get almost as many mods I want. Almost.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10003 on: January 09, 2014, 03:37:23 pm »

Alteration spellsword is fun. I like not wearing armour. It's like running around in underwear!
Yeah except you have to reapply your armor every ten seconds to not die.
I'm pretty sure at least one of the magic overhaul mods changed the magic armor spells so that they were toggled rather than cast with a time limit, but keeping them on would keep your magicka drained to a certain point in accordance with the cost of casting the spell. Actually a pretty good way to handle it, IMO.
Kinda late reply but oh well. I tried that mod, which is called Invested Magic for those interested. However I kinda hated it because while it fixed things like that, it also made EVERY spell into a toggle kinda thing. It conflicted hard with my "raise an undead army because I just want to be Sauron." (Yes I know Sauron never raised an undead army, but you know damn well he wanted to :P)

That mentioned, does anyone know of any mod that makes EVERYONE non-essential? Because Immersion and fuck the "oh don't worry baby your rampages actions don't have actual consequences" attitude Bethesda has taken since Oblivion. EDIT: Bonus if it removes guard respawns >:D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:40:21 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10004 on: January 09, 2014, 04:08:49 pm »

I don't know about guard respawns, but you can add

Code: [Select]
[GamePlay]
bEssentialTakeNoDamage=0

to your Skyrim.ini file to make every not-child NPC nonessential, although do note that this breaks things that rely on essential status (like brawls; you will kill people this way, but nobody will care), and you'll need to install a mod to let you kill children. I expect that the exceptions to leave certain children essential will not function if you turn off the standard essential functionality, but I don't know for sure. My assumption is that the modder switched off the special flag for essential children and then turned on the standard essential flag for those particular ones so that it could be disabled by quests, but I don't really know.

I did this, and stumbled across M'aiq the Liar's corpse in the wilderness, savaged by a snow bear. Beware that such tragedies will be common if you do this.
Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 896