Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558508 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10110 on: January 20, 2014, 09:37:54 pm »

Kinda contemplating maybe eventually getting Skyrim for PC. The deciding factor is: Are there any mods that add in the other varieties of khajiit mentioned in the lore.

Moonpath to Elseweyr, only in Elseweyr, but you'll get the liony ones!

I didn't like that mod too much. It's mostly a pretty dungeon crawl mashed with a house mod filled with tough enemies and a sload that acts unlike sload should.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10111 on: January 20, 2014, 09:59:54 pm »

Oh you're some random person accompanying a caravan? Here, let us shower you with free stuff!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10112 on: January 20, 2014, 10:39:51 pm »

So I was just thinking... the wiki for daedra says the only way for them to be destroyed is to "kill . . . soul in the planes of oblivion as was done with Umaril." http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Daedra

But wouldn't that mean all the daedra you kill in Oblivion are really dead. So all the ones from Dagoth's plane, Apocrypha, Jyggalag, etc.

So I guess that's a flaw with either the wiki information or the lore?

Or alternatively maybe they mean the waters of oblivion or wherever they go when they're destroyed?
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10113 on: January 20, 2014, 10:51:26 pm »

Elder scrolls wikia is shit. Daedra are immortal. Umaril was not a Daedra1, so he cannot be used as an example. Not only that, but he was killed by Talos's blessing, not by killing him in Oblivion.

Note especially that Shivering Isles directly contradicts that by showing you the revival process of Mazken/Aureal immediately after you watch them die inside the Madhouse.

1 He was given some similarities to Daedra by Meridia and was half-Ayleid half pre-kalpic Divine.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10114 on: January 20, 2014, 11:38:38 pm »

As far as the wikis go, the UESP has much better lore information. There are still gaps, and the absolute purists still shun it, but it's better than the other wiki.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10115 on: January 20, 2014, 11:46:22 pm »

Ah, that makes sense. I wonder where that leaves weird things like that undead dragon in the soul cairn.

I'm no purist haha. Sometimes I just get side tracked when I'm looking up quest stuff on the wikis and I peruse the lore a bit. Thanks for the information :D.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #10116 on: January 21, 2014, 11:09:12 am »

I'm no lore-knower by any means, but I still have no idea how dragon bone and dragon scale got into the laboratory of Serana's mom before they got split up.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10117 on: January 21, 2014, 11:24:34 am »

Ah, that makes sense. I wonder where that leaves weird things like that undead dragon in the soul cairn.

From what I gathered while playing that quest, that dragon is technically not undead, but rather has spent so long in the Cairn and has adapted to it's energies that it can no longer leave(save for being summoned for short periods), while the nature of the Cairn means it cannot be permanently killed.

The only undead dragon you encounter is the one inside of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, although that may be more of a bone golem than undead.

I'm no lore-knower by any means, but I still have no idea how dragon bone and dragon scale got into the laboratory of Serana's mom before they got split up.

Likely because when they split up was a very, very long time ago, pre-dating the empire, and thus the Dragon's being almost hunted to extinction, judging by some of Serana's dialogue. As such, Dragons would have been a much more common presence and their components available, if likely extremely rare.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:31:32 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10118 on: January 21, 2014, 11:30:46 am »

Since Morrowind, they kinda retconned golems out. That used to be what atronachs were, before they went the much cooler route of having automaton-making being a lost art.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10119 on: January 21, 2014, 11:35:21 am »

Since Morrowind, they kinda retconned golems out. That used to be what atronachs were, before they went the much cooler route of having automaton-making being a lost art.

True, although considering the location it is found it is entirely reasonable for it to have been a product of a lost art.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10120 on: January 21, 2014, 11:44:24 am »

It's probably just the product of an exceptionally powerful raise dead spell.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10121 on: January 21, 2014, 12:03:10 pm »

Flesh Atronachs? Those certainly aren't ordinary Daedra.

Likely because when they split up was a very, very long time ago, pre-dating the empire, and thus the Dragon's being almost hunted to extinction, judging by some of Serana's dialogue. As such, Dragons would have been a much more common presence and their components available, if likely extremely rare.

Remember that Mirmulnir, the first dragon you fight, wasn't revived by Alduin but was simply in hiding until he heard that Alduin had returned. Naturally, he's kinda angry that the second group of mortals he fights happens to include the Last Dragonborn.

Not to mention that even Tiber Septim had at least one Dragon lieutenant (his other choice was being killed, I'm sure, and Tiber was also Dragonborn, so that's not very good).

Also related: I was kinda weirded out when I first met Serana and realized how old she is. Like, come on, how're you speaking Cyrodiilic? I think it would have been much better if she came out and started speaking Ehlnofex. I mean, they had plenty of Dragon language worldbuilding in Skyrim, why not go whole-hog?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10122 on: January 21, 2014, 12:06:10 pm »

Flesh atronachs are an exception, built by a mad genius and with the assistance of a Daedric Prince.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #10123 on: January 21, 2014, 12:07:28 pm »

Hey guys. Y'know how Dragonborns eat dragon souls? I think the Soul Cairn knows, since it's got PLENTY of dragon bones stuck in the ground.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: January 21, 2014, 12:16:24 pm »

Flesh Atronachs? Those certainly aren't ordinary Daedra.
Flesh Atronachs, if I remember correctly, are basically flesh golems animated by a Daedra forced into the body. At least that is what I understood from the dialogue in Shivering Isles.

From what I gathered while playing that quest, that dragon is technically not undead, but rather has spent so long in the Cairn and has adapted to it's energies that it can no longer leave(save for being summoned for short periods), while the nature of the Cairn means it cannot be permanently killed.

The only undead dragon you encounter is the one inside of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, although that may be more of a bone golem than undead.
There is whatshisname in Soul Cairn (in Dawnguard), who is a somewhat zombie dragon, as well. EDIT: I misread. I think he may be undead though, being soul-drained as he is by the Ideal Masters.

Hey guys. Y'know how Dragonborns eat dragon souls? I think the Soul Cairn knows, since it's got PLENTY of dragon bones stuck in the ground.
It's probably unrelated. So far the only way to get your soul stuck in the Soul Cairn is by either dealing with the Ideal Masters or being soul-trapped (which, if you think about it, means you've been dooming hundreds of creatures to eternal torment through the series just to get your gear enchanted).

Also related: I was kinda weirded out when I first met Serana and realized how old she is. Like, come on, how're you speaking Cyrodiilic? I think it would have been much better if she came out and started speaking Ehlnofex. I mean, they had plenty of Dragon language worldbuilding in Skyrim, why not go whole-hog?
Yeah, they kind of slacked on that one. She could at least have spoken in archaic cyrodiilic. Or even dragon-language since all ancient nordic stuff appears to have been written in that.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:18:10 pm by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 896