Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558594 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10545 on: March 12, 2014, 06:13:37 pm »

You'd have to tell us what mods you're running. A Deadly Dragons dragon is very different from a Dragon Combat Overhaul dragon.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10546 on: March 12, 2014, 06:33:11 pm »

A Deadly Dragons dragon is very different from a Dragon Combat Overhaul dragon.
And when you're running both?

Whole list is here, I had to remove some when lag became issue later in the game. Real Clouds while snowstorm in particular. Most should be still running...

Edit:Was listening music and le wild appropriate song appeared!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:42:40 pm by Mr. Strange »
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10547 on: March 12, 2014, 06:58:43 pm »

Your dragons are just super deadly at close range. Keep distance, use bows.

At about level 25~ you can fight them with melee weapons such as the Mace of Molag Bal or anything else that drains hp.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: March 12, 2014, 07:15:43 pm »

Funny thing is, as things are no armor is safer than heavy armor. You can actually avoid melee attacks by flanking the dragon to a safe(ish) angle, but heavy is too slow and keeps getting hit. Pure melee build is suicide against dragons, and i was hoping that could be fixed without just grinding more levels or gathering large party (that gets chewed quickly). Not that I actually play any usually, but just for the sake of completion.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: March 13, 2014, 12:20:27 pm »

Spam healing spells.

Spam EVERYWHERE.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: March 13, 2014, 12:35:57 pm »

Yeah the thing is that both of those mods are designed with the idea that fighting a dragon in melee should be suicidal unless you're practically a walking god, and they synergize pretty well.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: March 13, 2014, 03:54:52 pm »

Yeah the thing is that both of those mods are designed with the idea that fighting a dragon in melee should be suicidal unless you're practically a walking god, and they synergize pretty well.
...so my unarmored assassin is walking god?

But yeah, my goal was to make dragons THE ultimate enemy who deserve their ingame reputation, so it's good to know I succeeded and it wasn't just me being crappy player.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: March 13, 2014, 04:13:30 pm »

So I have a friend who just got Skyrim. He asked me how long it takes to beat the main quest. Thinking about it, I realize the most time-consuming portion of the main quest is looting all of Blackreach. If you for some reason don't loot Blackreach it's really not that long.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: March 13, 2014, 05:08:52 pm »

Blackreach and that final temple you have to run through takes up most of the time. I'd say it'd take about 3 hours if you exclusively dedicated yourself to the main campaign and nothing else.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10554 on: March 13, 2014, 05:22:20 pm »

Yeah. I'm tempted to go on a rant about how so many of Skyrim's major quests are secretly "Murder a bunch of Falmer in a cave with a box of scraps", but I think my opinions on that are clear. Point being, having to do Blackreach again is the major thing that keeps me from doing the main quest in replays, because aside from that it's quite fun.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10555 on: March 13, 2014, 06:16:08 pm »

You technically don't have to do anything in Blackreach. Just run from one side to the other. It's up to you if you want to explore it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10556 on: March 13, 2014, 06:57:32 pm »

Hey, I love Blackreach. Ever since Morrowind I was thinking "You know what would be cool? If the Dwemer had a giant cave city!" The thing is, it's not just one dungeon, it's a bunch of smaller dungeons conveniently close to each other, connected by a big awesome cave.

MQ wise, you could just cross it. But for first time players (and most other players besides), who could resist the temptation to just pillage the crap out of that place before doing anything else? I for one never actually spent all the money I made from Blackreach, despite having done most of the rest of the game since then. Loot that place once at level 35 or so, and you're pretty much set for life.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: March 13, 2014, 08:43:28 pm »

I remember the first time I made it to Blackreach. Honestly left me kinda speechless.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: March 13, 2014, 10:51:10 pm »

I thought it was pretty awesome too. It was completely unexpected.

However, I don't like repeating that whole thing again though. Other than the secret dragon fight.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: March 13, 2014, 11:39:19 pm »

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I loved it the first time, it's just not that exciting the second time around, and it's big. Especially because you have to get there by hiking through a fairly lengthy ruin first. And, after a certain point, fighting Falmer just becomes incredibly bland for some reason. So it becomes a sort of giant, "Guh, do I have to?" in the middle of the main quest.
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 896