Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558299 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10800 on: May 31, 2014, 02:45:04 pm »

The community patches are really the very least you should use. You can argue against everything else, but I doubt you can argue against simple bugfixes.
What bugs? Admittedly I've only played for about 120 hours total, but I haven't run into any at all. Honestly, the game's not bad without mods. I don't understand all the fuss.
http://www.iguanadons.net/Unofficial%20Skyrim%20Patch%20Version%20History.html

That's the changelog for the Community Patch. Note that all of that consists solely of fixes for vanilla bugs and glitches, not improvements to shitty design or quality of life changes. A decent amount of it is fixes for questbreakers that you won't see until they've fucked up your playthrough.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10801 on: May 31, 2014, 04:06:39 pm »

The community patches are really the very least you should use. You can argue against everything else, but I doubt you can argue against simple bugfixes.
What bugs? Admittedly I've only played for about 120 hours total, but I haven't run into any at all. Honestly, the game's not bad without mods. I don't understand all the fuss.
I'm not saying the game is bad without mods (it's a fairly solid game without them), but less bugs is always good, no?  If you haven't encountered any bugs, you could keep it that way :P

Also I'd recommend SkyUI because it's much easier to navigate than the default menu, which is made for consoles.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10802 on: June 01, 2014, 12:08:11 am »

It's like someone visiting Amsterdam for the first time. Bought the plane ticket. Paid the cab ride to the red light district. Thousands of choices.

Then they just go into the very first store they see and ignore all the others.

Of course, it's entirely the right of the tourist to go into the very first store they see and ignore all the others. He can surely come back next time and browse around. But it won't stop all of us from chuckling at him.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10803 on: June 01, 2014, 12:41:48 am »

I'm not sure what you're talking about umi, but you sound like you know its relevant so I'm agreeing with you. Red light district, skyrim, mammoths, tourists. It all ties together.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10804 on: June 01, 2014, 01:16:29 am »

I don't see how it's hard to understand. It's like when you're relaxing on a sauna bed in Tampa and the cops come asking if you're selling dope. Of course you're just going to pretend you're a Mexican and don't know anything about dope and you'll make sure not to spill the beans on any illegal activities you may or may not be participating in.

What I'm getting at is that you gotta play Skyrim like you cut a tree.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10805 on: June 01, 2014, 01:22:33 am »

I should hit my computer with an axe if I want to have fun with skyrim?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10806 on: June 01, 2014, 01:28:05 am »

But really, this game is pretty poor without mods. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10807 on: June 01, 2014, 03:58:03 am »

Miauw, unlike you, apparently, I like watching intercontinental ballistic mammoths.
Giants sending you into the stratosphere is considered a feature, if that's what you mean :P

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10808 on: June 01, 2014, 04:55:14 am »

Most Bethesda games to date are at least worth a play-through unmodded, but the real potential comes out when you start modding the hell out of it.

Getting a deeper, more challenging experience without simply making the game numerically more difficult (a la the Novice-Master slider) is more fun. Removing spellcrafting was a big issue for me on the occasion I felt like playing a mage, and I was very limited in the choices of spells I could do for any one skill tree, but new spells (and a fairly recent mod that adds in spellcrafting) remedy that. Vanilla sneaking was overpowered; someone made some better AI for making stealth aligned characters not able to turn enemies into pincushions with impunity. There's a mod for just about anything you can think of, tweaking, improving or adding entirely new features.

Of course, they can't make the base game like that for the wider audience, as AAA games these days are meant to appeal to the greatest common denominator. I will remain a Bethesda fan, but only for those games which come out for the glorious PC master race. Except Elder Scrolls Online. That game is a blatant money grab that tarnishes the lore set forth so far.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10809 on: June 01, 2014, 09:04:19 am »

but less bugs is always good, no?

I literally haven't downloaded the Unofficial Patch simply because it changes one bug I particularly like (the Avanchenzel perk thing giving its armor bonus to all armor, if you're curious)

Oh, and there are plenty of games that have literally been DEFINED by their bugs, see: Any Fighting Game Ever, because combos? Combos were a bug once.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10810 on: June 01, 2014, 09:28:53 am »

I just mentioned giants sending you into the stratosphere which was originally a bug too. If you like abusing exploits then I guess you'll have to deal with questbreakers.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10811 on: June 01, 2014, 11:31:11 am »

I doubt that is fixed by the patches, actually. Physics weirdness is rather hard to fix.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10812 on: June 01, 2014, 02:31:59 pm »

Say, what difficulty to y'all play on? I'm on Adept right now, and I'm beginning to oneshot most enemies except for dragons, but also getting the piss beat out of me if anyone manages to actually hit me because I still only have 100 base health, and I'm considering bumping it up.
Dark Souls.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nexus doesn't require subscribtion for small mods, anything bigger than 2mb will need that free account. Plenty of good stuff smaller than that.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10813 on: June 01, 2014, 03:04:16 pm »

Miauw, unlike you, apparently, I like watching intercontinental ballistic mammoths.
Giants sending you into the stratosphere is considered a feature, if that's what you mean :P
I mean ICBMs.

The one I told you about where the physics engine decided a mammoth needed to spontaneously fly like a brick launched up a relative velocities.

I need a link to a clip of this. For reasons.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10814 on: June 01, 2014, 07:49:04 pm »

So has anybody brought M&B style melee combat into Skyrim, yet?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 896