Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559300 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10830 on: June 22, 2014, 01:50:11 am »

They didn't seem $20 per pop awesome to me.  :P

~$14 for both is much more reasonable, methinks. Of course now I have to go through my modlist and redownload all the ones I got DLC-free versions for...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10831 on: June 22, 2014, 01:54:47 am »

If they're offering both of them for ~$14, then totally take it. Dragonborn alone is worth it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10832 on: June 22, 2014, 03:05:38 pm »

Just spent my first few hours playing. Looks like I'm hooked.

First of all, I'm very impressed. I killed the guards outside the temple, snuck inside, hid behind a pillar and listened to a conversation, then picked off one of the bandits with an arrow before stabbing the other one with my sword. Further down, I was sneaking through the tunnels and saw a bandit ahead. I hid for a minute, watched him pull a lever and get shot full of arrows, alerting me to the trap so I could figure out how to defuse it. It really does an awesome job of feeling real and immersive.

It's also terrifying. I'm a super-sensitive person and I can't play horror games for long without taking a break. Tiptoeing through those crypts, every now and then the roof shaking and dust falling down, waiting for the next corpse to get up and rush at me with an axe... It definitely scared the bejeezus out of me a few times.

Now I've returned to the town with the requested golden claw, but I can't figure out how to give it to the shopkeeper and complete his quest. No dialogue options, the game won't let me drop it, there doesn't seem to be any option to hand it over. Am I missing something, or is it impossible to give it back? Because that hardly seems right...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10833 on: June 22, 2014, 03:15:44 pm »

Just spent my first few hours playing. Looks like I'm hooked.

First of all, I'm very impressed. I killed the guards outside the temple, snuck inside, hid behind a pillar and listened to a conversation, then picked off one of the bandits with an arrow before stabbing the other one with my sword. Further down, I was sneaking through the tunnels and saw a bandit ahead. I hid for a minute, watched him pull a lever and get shot full of arrows, alerting me to the trap so I could figure out how to defuse it. It really does an awesome job of feeling real and immersive.

It's also terrifying. I'm a super-sensitive person and I can't play horror games for long without taking a break. Tiptoeing through those crypts, every now and then the roof shaking and dust falling down, waiting for the next corpse to get up and rush at me with an axe... It definitely scared the bejeezus out of me a few times.

Now I've returned to the town with the requested golden claw, but I can't figure out how to give it to the shopkeeper and complete his quest. No dialogue options, the game won't let me drop it, there doesn't seem to be any option to hand it over. Am I missing something, or is it impossible to give it back? Because that hardly seems right...
I think you need to finish off the other half of the linked quest by hunting down the "mysterious power" (or whatever it was called) that had been alluded to by Arvel speech and his journal before you can return the claw, since you'll need it at one particular point of that quest.  A little immersion-breaking to flat-out forbid returning it until you do that, certainly, but probably necessary due to plot.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10834 on: June 22, 2014, 03:22:27 pm »

Oh. I didn't catch that. Damn it, do I have to go all the way back there? Once I finished the tombs and stuff and got back outside, I just went back to the village. Can I fast-travel to every location I've discovered already?

Also, is there some sort of quest log? The menu system in this game is definitely not impressing me. Too confusing and complicated. It probably looks pretty, you know, to someone watching you play, I guess, but it's not functional.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10835 on: June 22, 2014, 03:22:45 pm »

Yes, as returning it before using it further on in the tomb would break one of the main quests, it doesn't allow you to until you have cleared the tomb. It would have been nice to have been able to return it and have to go back and purchase/steal/borrow it when you received the later quest, but they clearly thought that would be to complex.

The journal lists all your quests, J I think on default keybindings.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10836 on: June 22, 2014, 03:26:52 pm »

But I thought I did clear out the tomb... I'll have to go back and look again. Thanks.

Seems like it should be possible to get to your journal without memorizing all the hotkeys... Oh well. I'll figure it out.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10837 on: June 22, 2014, 03:28:52 pm »

You missed a (big) door. I won't explain further =D

Yea you can fast travel anywhere you've been.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10838 on: June 22, 2014, 03:29:26 pm »

Oh. I didn't catch that. Damn it, do I have to go all the way back there? Once I finished the tombs and stuff and got back outside, I just went back to the village. Can I fast-travel to every location I've discovered already?

Also, is there some sort of quest log? The menu system in this game is definitely not impressing me. Too confusing and complicated. It probably looks pretty, you know, to someone watching you play, I guess, but it's not functional.
Yep, you should be able to fast-travel back to the barrow entrance, but you'll need to walk the rest of the way through the barrow.  Just open the Map screen with the M button, click on the icon, and fast-travel there.  Alternately, you can hit Tab to open your menu and click which of the four you need.

I do agree the UI is pretty bad.  I don't even remember what it looked like before I installed SkyUI (requires the Skyrim Script Extender to run); that doesn't fix everything, but it makes a lot of things much more effective. 

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10839 on: June 22, 2014, 03:32:11 pm »

Been a while, but I believe the critical parts are acquiring a certain item from the tombs boss creature and walking close the the wall which has the glowing word in the boss chamber.

Note that by grabbing the item now you, *minor spoiler*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I do agree the UI is pretty bad.  I don't even remember what it looked like before I installed SkyUI (requires the Skyrim Script Extender to run); that doesn't fix everything, but it makes a lot of things much more effective.

Technically, it doesn't need the script extender to run, but it will be missing certain functions, and there is no real reason not to install the extender. Just remember to launch through the extender rather than the play button in steam if you use it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:36:31 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10840 on: June 22, 2014, 04:12:06 pm »

Damn it, yup, had to walk all the way through the tunnels to touch a stupid wall. Walked right past it last time. Seems like if you absolutely have to do this to progress, they might have maybe made it just slightly more obvious? Since you can walk from one door to the other without ever facing it?

Anyway, that's done now. Made my way to the big castle (I'm bad with names) and am now being instructed to go help kill a dragon. Sure, no problem... I think I need to go to bed now, though. Or I'll be up all night.

The journal isn't in the tab menu, it's apparently in the ESC menu. Really, for such a well-made game, how could they have messed up the UI so badly? Oh well. I can't complain too much. I'm having fun.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10841 on: June 22, 2014, 04:48:36 pm »

Yeah. Skyrim is weird like that. It's got so many failures like crappy animations, boring plots, simplistic combat, crappy UI but you can't help but have fun with it.

It goes to show that if you make a compelling experience people will forgive a lot of things.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10842 on: June 22, 2014, 05:26:33 pm »

Skyrim is so cruel sometimes. I was walking next to a sweet fox and it was looking at me and smiled and I smiled back and we were walking a few minutes together (while Lydia was slow as hell) and then we met a Hunter and I tried to talk to him but he was all like OW MAYBE NEXT TIME and then he shot the fox. Man. Dude. I was really saddened. The Hunter teleported onto his horse which was standing 20 meters away and walked by. I shot him in the back of his head and killed his horse. Fuck you, fox killers.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10843 on: June 22, 2014, 05:45:58 pm »

Yeah, THOSE FOXES DON'T EVEN HAVE MEAT YOU MURDERER :P

And their fur is substandard for armormaking too. I generally ignore foxes (bunnies however are a prize commodity, thanks to Achieve That! giving a permanent damage bonus for hunting down enough of the fuckers.

So has anyone managed to get Immersive Armors 7 and SkyRe compatible with each other without using NMM?

I do all my modding manually, and I seem to have screwed this up (My iron armor has 87 armor rating. Ebony has 60. That's just the tip of the "this shit is fucked" iceberg)
SkyRe should have a specific patch for Immersive Armors, i find that and drop that on hopefully fixing your issue. Doing modding manually is extremely difficult (and dangerous, you can fuck your install to the point of reinstall) especially when you have scripts being overwritten all over the place. I recommend using Mod Organizer or something to make this easy.

Still need help with this, because SkyRe does NOT have a patch out for the new version, and the steps IA gives you are pretty much "1: Go to this other dudes page. 2: ??? 3: Profit"
And said other dude has FORTY SIX different mods all named basically the exact same thing and doesn't give you any instructions on which one you want or how to properly install them when you think you worked it out maybe.
Also "requires" a mod that doesn't seem to have anything to do with this, and seems actively destructive to these purposes.

Oh trust me, I'm well aware of the probs of manual modding, had to fully reinstall Skyrim once. I've since realized you can just delete the scripts folder and verify files from Steam to make the process a lot shorter, but still annoying and requires redownloading shit.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10844 on: June 22, 2014, 05:47:33 pm »

Damn it, yup, had to walk all the way through the tunnels to touch a stupid wall. Walked right past it last time. Seems like if you absolutely have to do this to progress, they might have maybe made it just slightly more obvious? Since you can walk from one door to the other without ever facing it?

Anyway, that's done now. Made my way to the big castle (I'm bad with names) and am now being instructed to go help kill a dragon. Sure, no problem... I think I need to go to bed now, though. Or I'll be up all night.

The journal isn't in the tab menu, it's apparently in the ESC menu. Really, for such a well-made game, how could they have messed up the UI so badly? Oh well. I can't complain too much. I'm having fun.

I just use "j" for the journal. The UI is made for console.
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 896