Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550115 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10860 on: June 23, 2014, 06:19:15 am »

For a game about dragons which speak words of power, they are really dumb.

I wish the last boss would involve thu'um duel.

There are like 3 or four mods you can throw on that turn dragons from wimps into raging forces of making you cry and give up.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10861 on: June 23, 2014, 08:48:35 am »

There are like 3 or four mods you can throw on that turn dragons from wimps into raging forces of making you cry and give up.
Do they still spend 50% of time by flying around and doing nothing?
._.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10862 on: June 23, 2014, 10:01:18 am »

I keep running into the strangest bugs when installing mods... i mean one by one.

I'm trying to install some hunting mods but nothing works. So far the only mods i managed to get working was some player housing.

I tried adding Hunterborn and/or Huntng in skyrim for some fun from shooting innocent animals but no dice they either don't work or only work partially.. and i'm kinda stupmed as i tried anything including the steam workshop and nexus manager.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10863 on: June 23, 2014, 10:04:26 am »

The problem is that (almost all) the dragon mods either make them unstoppable 1-shotting death machines OR make them have more HP then half of skyrim's creatures combined. Also known as: not fun. There's not much to work with.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10864 on: June 23, 2014, 10:36:27 am »

The problem is that (almost all) the dragon mods either make them unstoppable 1-shotting death machines OR make them have more HP then half of skyrim's creatures combined. Also known as: not fun. There's not much to work with.
Dragon Combat Overhaul is the best for avoiding that problem, I think, though I also pair it with Deadly Dragons.

I do wish modding weren't so relatively intimidating (register Nexus account, download Nexus mod manager, install it, and now you can finally install mods easily), just because I feel like SkyUI is so core to making the game fun. Ah well.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10865 on: June 23, 2014, 10:45:47 am »

(register Nexus account, download Nexus mod manager, install it, and now you can finally install mods easily)
how is this intimidating.
its not like you have to set the registry keys yourself and craft an sql query to add your account to the nexus or something.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10866 on: June 23, 2014, 10:53:20 am »

Hm. I finally got the mod to download. I had to create an account and log in first. Then it worked. Would have been nice if they advertised that you need an account to download, or if instead of "unknown error" they had said "you must be logged in."

Oh, well, I have it now.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10867 on: June 23, 2014, 11:04:07 am »

(register Nexus account, download Nexus mod manager, install it, and now you can finally install mods easily)
its not like you have to set the registry keys yourself and craft an sql query to add your account to the nexus or something.
It's a relatively complicated process by the standards of obtaining basic interface functionality, and not all the steps are things you'd expect to need going in (and it sounds like Nexus isn't as helpful as it could be, if "Unknown Error" is code for "You need to be logged in"). It's not that anything involved is technically challenging, it's just got more steps than it feels like it should. Feels like a fetch quest.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10868 on: June 23, 2014, 11:06:05 am »

It's a relatively complicated process by the standards of obtaining basic interface functionality, and not all the steps are things you'd expect to need going in (and it sounds like Nexus isn't as helpful as it could be, if "Unknown Error" is code for "You need to be logged in"). It's not that anything involved is technically challenging, it's just got more steps than it feels like it should. Feels like a fetch quest.
It may be a fairly complicated process for just the UI, but how are you going to achieve easy installation for a mod other than plugging it into a system that is made for easy installation? SkyUI isnt the only mod on the Nexus, you know.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10869 on: June 23, 2014, 11:21:02 am »

Nexus mod manager can break mods. Its likely it installs them wrong, or breaks other mods. Steam workshop is even worse, but better for small mod list. Nexus manager is shit. A lame copy of oblivion mod manager, not even using the more updated fallout manager. Made by nexus team, not involved in the real mod managers. That way they can get donations for it.

Better to use workshop (small mod list) or manually install them. Works far better and more stable.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10870 on: June 23, 2014, 11:45:37 am »

It may be a fairly complicated process for just the UI, but how are you going to achieve easy installation for a mod other than plugging it into a system that is made for easy installation? SkyUI isnt the only mod on the Nexus, you know.
Yes, I agree. What's your point?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10871 on: June 23, 2014, 11:48:25 am »

2-handed warhammer is the best thing ever.
._.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10872 on: June 23, 2014, 12:04:57 pm »

Axe or gtfo

Nah, weapons are all good. I just wish there was a mod for skull crushing as opposed to decapitation. And that you could do it unarmed.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10873 on: June 23, 2014, 12:07:19 pm »

Curse you guys! I'm downloading almost every mod from the Nexus' top list that enhances or expands the game in a lore-friendly way. So much for my "I first want to play the game without mods" statement. :|
I just hope the game doesn't break.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10874 on: June 23, 2014, 12:25:25 pm »

Curse you guys! I'm downloading almost every mod from the Nexus' top list that enhances or expands the game in a lore-friendly way. So much for my "I first want to play the game without mods" statement. :|
I just hope the game doesn't break.

Your game probably will if you just install almost everything on the top list. Sorry. Many mods conflict with each other in subtle or non-subtle ways, and mods with scripts can't even be safely uninstalled. That's not to say that modding Skyrim is bad, it's just that you should be careful what you install and read the comments page for mods before installing blindly. Seemingly simple, stable mods can cause all sorts of conflicts. Bring Out Your Dead edits the records of many, many NPCs in the game, which means that any other mod that edits that NPC is either going to overwrite Bring Out Your Dead's changes, or BOYD will overwrite the first mod's changes. (For most records, only one mod can edit them at a time. Only one. They don't "merge" records on their own, they just overwrite them.) Particularly problematic in Requiem, because even mods that just edit an NPC's appearance end up removing all of their custom perks, equipment, changed attributes and level.

The Skyrim engine also can't handle many scripts going on at the same time, no matter how good your machine might be. For example, I was using Burn Freeze Shock Effects for a little while, because it really made combat more immersive for me. Corpses would have burn marks, etc... but the scripts proved too much for Skyrim in large areas. I spawned a few dragons in Solitude using the console, turned on god mode (so that I wouldn't die), and watched them run around wreaking havoc. It didn't take long for the game to go pear-shaped, and walls and the ground itself started disappearing. I removed Burn Freeze Shock Effects and tried the same test again (on a new character, because you can't safely uninstall mods with scripts) and everything worked fine.

I highly recommend making good use of TES5EDIT to resolve conflicts and LOOT to sort out your load order. Mods with scripts are fine, but don't run many of them together. (eg, Requiem, Hunterborn, Wet and Cold, Frostfall...) I run a Requiem Skyrim installation and remove every meaningful conflict myself using TES5EDIT.

If it sounds like I'm being paranoid, it's because I've had characters with 100+ hours on them with broken questlines and frequent crashes because I hadn't been careful and just installed whatever I felt like. It also kind of sucked, running into bugs that had already been patched by the Unofficial Skyrim Patches because a dozen mods in my load order overwrote those changes and restored the vanilla bugs.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:30:44 pm by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 896