Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550165 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10980 on: July 21, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »

Frostfall is stupid, stupid fun.

I played with that for a pretty long time but eventually it just became obnoxious and annoying. Skyrim is not fundamentally a survival game, IMO trying to graft those elements onto it ends up feeling pretty much like that, like something that doesn't really belong.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10981 on: July 21, 2014, 09:04:56 pm »

If neither Requiem nor SkyRe are your cup of tea, you're probably best off building your own balance by combining things like Duel, the various ACE modules, etc. Basically just look at this and cherrypick everything you want, that's probably 85-90% of your mod selection done right there.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10982 on: July 22, 2014, 05:26:34 am »

If neither Requiem nor SkyRe are your cup of tea, you're probably best off building your own balance by combining things like Duel, the various ACE modules, etc. Basically just look at this and cherrypick everything you want, that's probably 85-90% of your mod selection done right there.

Woah awesome - I hadn't seen that! Thanks very much!!

I played with that for a pretty long time but eventually it just became obnoxious and annoying. Skyrim is not fundamentally a survival game, IMO trying to graft those elements onto it ends up feeling pretty much like that, like something that doesn't really belong.
Hmm, I do get what you mean, I think it'd be especially annoying on a first/second run through. I started using it once I had basically done most of the stuff, and just wanted to do another play through as a completely different class (I never, ever do heavy armor, so I played through it with frostfall and heavy armor). I did admittedly do it on normal frostfall instead of hardcore mode (*DF player's booing intensifies*) because I found it just a pain on hardcore.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10983 on: July 22, 2014, 09:20:09 am »

Admittedly there is some stuff on Hardcore Frostfall that is probably a bit too hardcore, though there is also some stuffs that I feel the need to make MORE challenging with it.

My only real problem with Frostfall is that it only affects YOU. So you basically go around in heavily padded/furred armor with a cloak and huddling next to every fire ever while there are random people just walking around places like The Pale in freaking t-shirts and you just imagine said people going "lol, scrub"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10984 on: July 22, 2014, 09:49:31 am »

My only real problem with Frostfall is that it only affects YOU. So you basically go around in heavily padded/furred armor with a cloak and huddling next to every fire ever while there are random people just walking around places like The Pale in freaking t-shirts and you just imagine said people going "lol, scrub"
Especially when they are Argonian.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10985 on: July 22, 2014, 10:26:58 am »

You can use the 'wet and cold' mod with frostfall which causes NPCs to react to the cold a bit (put on extra clothes). It isn't fantastic, but it does give a slightly better feeling to it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10986 on: July 22, 2014, 11:07:17 am »

Climbing the Throat of the World was a completely different experience with Frostfall :v

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10987 on: July 22, 2014, 11:35:30 am »

In one of my own playthroughs, I died even using the tgm cheat code because of Frostfall.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10988 on: July 22, 2014, 02:50:45 pm »

In one of my own playthroughs, I died even using the tgm cheat code because of Frostfall.

Er, tgm makes you ignore frostfall deathing. I tested this.

You can use the 'wet and cold' mod with frostfall which causes NPCs to react to the cold a bit (put on extra clothes). It isn't fantastic, but it does give a slightly better feeling to it.

Yeah, I know, but my modlist is already too much for my puter so no realism for me's :(

Indeed, I do this.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10989 on: July 22, 2014, 03:07:44 pm »

Er, tgm makes you ignore frostfall deathing. I tested this.
It was probably an earlier version, have not played the game for a few months or so.
Or mod incompatibilities, makes weird stuff happen.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10990 on: July 22, 2014, 05:46:56 pm »

Exactly what's so hardcore about Frostfall on hc? I admit I don't use breakable axes, but that's because I don't usually steal them from peoples backyards, so without it there would be constant shortage of them since they are pretty rare on merchant lists and taking one from bandits with low level character is a bit tricky...
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10991 on: July 23, 2014, 11:37:26 am »

Exactly what's so hardcore about Frostfall on hc? I admit I don't use breakable axes, but that's because I don't usually steal them from peoples backyards, so without it there would be constant shortage of them since they are pretty rare on merchant lists and taking one from bandits with low level character is a bit tricky...

Well things like the WEAR system make it more difficult to stay alive (although I never play WITHOUT WEAR, so yeah) And also the fast travel thing.

Indeed, I do this.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10992 on: July 23, 2014, 02:14:14 pm »

For the most part, hardcore Frostfall was an annoyance to me. I liked the cloaks and backpacks, but that was about it. Once I did the Dawnguard questline, I became a vampire, and happily ignored it the rest of the game. I like the concept, but like BFEL said, the fact that you're the only creature in the world that gets affected by the chilling winds and pouring rains make it a bit boring. The first time I go out of Whiterun to the Western Watchtower, it was raining as I waited for Irileth, and I nearly froze to death waiting for her just due to the rain until I made a campfire, which Irileth then had pathing issues around.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10993 on: July 23, 2014, 02:41:59 pm »

For the most part, hardcore Frostfall was an annoyance to me. I liked the cloaks and backpacks, but that was about it. Once I did the Dawnguard questline, I became a vampire, and happily ignored it the rest of the game. I like the concept, but like BFEL said, the fact that you're the only creature in the world that gets affected by the chilling winds and pouring rains make it a bit boring. The first time I go out of Whiterun to the Western Watchtower, it was raining as I waited for Irileth, and I nearly froze to death waiting for her just due to the rain until I made a campfire, which Irileth then had pathing issues around.

Agreed, it's only really any good for sort of role-playing/doing random side quests. I did enjoy wandering around with the Wet and Cold mod and going from one end of the map to another. I also did it with some other mods to up the difficulty and add some other survival features. It made it into a very interesting survival game, but not really viable for just general playing I don't think, unless you have a high tolerance for changing clothes/campfires.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10994 on: July 31, 2014, 06:03:09 pm »

RANDOM SCREENSHOT DROP.

I was actually quite emotional playing this part. I was furious at what had happened.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Archery Shot

Kill-Cam Slow-Mo Following my Arrow into the Dragon
I wee'd a little during this, I've got about 20 pics.

Backstab Shot

Two Dragons fighting in the wild. I know, I was perplexed, too.

Me and my homies.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 896