Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558425 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12060 on: April 23, 2015, 06:36:33 pm »

You could always set the minimum price choice as 0.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12061 on: April 23, 2015, 06:43:11 pm »

You could always set the minimum price choice as 0.

If you can do that, thats probably what I'll do
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12062 on: April 23, 2015, 06:49:38 pm »

I imagine why modders are currently making a decent amount of money off paid mods is that the system has just been released. People are curious and anyone even remotely related to "games journalism" will be buying a couple of mods to test the waters. I imagine it will die down to nothing within a couple weeks and it will become another poorly thought out system Valve has failed to implement correctly. 

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12063 on: April 23, 2015, 11:13:32 pm »

I mean, the thing is, if he's made $300, for all the time and effort he's put into it, that's really basically nothing. Pennies on the hour. Not enough to really add incentive for modders, except the ones with delusions of grandeur. But it is enough to justify the addition for Valve, who gets a cut from every single mod that does this, and all the effort they had to put into this was the negotiations and payment framework - far from nothing, but a much better investment on their end.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12064 on: April 23, 2015, 11:22:23 pm »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:43:55 pm by Blaze »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12065 on: April 23, 2015, 11:45:31 pm »

And evidently we've got infighting among popular modders, where their work has become strongly intertwined. And threads are evidently getting deleted; so of course I can't be sure it's not an elaborate fabrication, but somehow I'm skeptical that that's why there's no such thread.

The shitstorm grows ever more dysenteric, which I swear is a word.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12066 on: April 23, 2015, 11:47:43 pm »

That picture is fucking awful. That mod was taken down by the author exactly because the guy who made those animations didn't allow him to monetize it. It was very civil. There was no infighting, the person with the blocked out name is a complete rando.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12067 on: April 23, 2015, 11:49:01 pm »

Ah, good to know! In that case, it's merely a lack of foresight on Valve's part regarding making sure the whole approach was a sensible one, which is an entirely different (and significantly less serious, honestly) issue.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12068 on: April 23, 2015, 11:53:33 pm »

They were civil yes, and that's good.

But what the heck? Is Valve seriously telling people to sell derived content via the abandonware excuse?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12069 on: April 23, 2015, 11:56:52 pm »

Not abandonware, just "if gratis then libre", which is pretty wrong.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12070 on: April 24, 2015, 01:33:07 am »

To let everyone know. I've decided no matter how desperate I get for money. I'm not going to stoop down so low to charge for a game mod. So, I'll be uploading my mod...FOR FREE

I'd rather keep my online name (and I use vendayn everywhere lol)...with relatively good standards in the communities I'm a part of. For one, I use loverslab a lot...and why would I want to be hated everywhere I go and need to make a new online identity? I don't want to do that, I'm vendayn online...have been for 10+ years.

No amount of money is worth it. And really, its pennies I'd be getting...valve takes most and I get the leftovers. No thanks.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12071 on: April 24, 2015, 02:07:11 am »

Here is my Skyrim mod. :) I had it up somewhere else before, but it contained some bugs in blackreach. I fixed it.

Its just a texture overhaul mod...I've been working on a ruined city and some custom stuff. But its really slow going and to be honest, I'd rather just play skyrim most of the time :P

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430994185

Enjoy :)

FOR FREE! :D cause I'm not gonna lose my dignity or be hated all over the internet cause I charged for it lol. No amount of money is worth that to me. :P

(edit: I did add a link to go my gofundme thing. Which is pretty much like a "donation" button. Much better than a pay wall.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:35:19 am by Vendayn »

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12072 on: April 24, 2015, 06:22:11 am »

valve takes most and I get the leftovers. No thanks.

Bethesda decides on the split. Valve takes the same cut they take for games, which is reputed to be around 30%, so presumably Bethesda is taking around 45%. Doesn't invalidate your point, just wished to clarify.

Also, Skyrim Apple mod for just twenty quid:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430955234

Have you ever walked into the Bannered Mare and thought to yourself: "Man, this place could use an extra apple."? Well, worry no longer! "Extra Apple" adds another apple to the counter in the Bannered Mare.

Win!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12073 on: April 24, 2015, 06:47:11 am »

Well, I can already see the problems that will arise when the next Elder Scrolls game hits if they keep to this model.

Many mods that were released while the main game was still receiving updates had to be updated themselves to continue functioning. As updates to the main game are pretty much automatic, this means there is a high likelihood that mods that you have paid for may become non-functional while the mod maker is not required to update the mod to restore it to functionality.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12074 on: April 24, 2015, 09:11:08 am »

People used the Steam Workshop for mods? None of the good ones were on there, and it managed to be shittier than the Nexus, which is saying something. Though if they try some bullshit for the next FO/ES game where mods are only allowed through the Workshop and all others get taken down, I just flat out won't buy it.

I think it's cool that modders may be getting a bit back for their hard work. They have always been the most amazingly dedicated people in the industry, IMO, as they do their work often without any compensation at all despite some cases where they make a game worth playing, or even sell the game to people if their mod is amazing enough. If you've ever seen total conversions for some other game it's nuts what people can pull off just with a few modding tools and some time.

Ok, I think it's about time I actually got around to playing this (I got it on release but lost interest quickly because it wasn't M&B, which was pretty unfair).
I know there's a mod list on the front page but I wanted to hear your guy's opinion: is the mod list the OP posted still up to date? Ar ethere any mods you would add/subtract? I basically want a semi vanilla playthrough, only with enhancements/fixes. So basically: no custom races, custom armageddon spells, or replacing dragons with Randy Savage. Things like making horses move a bit quicker or changing weapon models to be more reasonable/believable would be acceptable.
Mainly I want something that will, for certain, remove the way the mouse handles like trying to drag it through mud on menu screens (which is caused by vertical sync if I remember right) and so that it doesn't run at 500 FPS (I had overheating issues because turning vsync off uncapped the framerate so the graphics card would work way harder than it had to). I remember getting a mod that makes the UI a lot better (I think SkuUI?) but I don't know if that is still the definitive UI mod to have or not.
Here's the short list.

SkyUI = Vital
iHUD = Vital
Even Better Quest Objectives: Important
A Quality World Map - With Roads: Vital
Unofficial Patches: Vital
RaceMenu: Vital
Alternate Start - Live Another Life: Vital, but you should use the vanilla start for your first character.

Combat mods depend on your preference. My personal combo is Duel - Combat Realism, Enhanced Enemy AI, VioLens (now superior in every way to other killmove mods), Combat Evolved. Those all mesh together very well. Toss in Dragon Combat Overhaul and Deadly Dragons.

Magic mods... the Apocalypse spell package is without question the deepest, most balanced, and most interesting. Most of the overhauls handle perk trees in one way or another, and the overhauls are in many respects preference-based.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 896