Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558461 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12360 on: November 18, 2015, 09:01:40 pm »

The install is a little complicated IIRC but here you go!
There's fluff only, concise only, and both. Have fun.
Black lives matter.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12361 on: November 18, 2015, 09:13:11 pm »

The install is a little complicated IIRC but here you go!
There's fluff only, concise only, and both. Have fun.
my god

that's going in next time i play
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12362 on: November 18, 2015, 09:41:09 pm »

Ok, thank you for that, this addresses my only other major complaint about PerMa.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12363 on: November 18, 2015, 09:45:04 pm »

you're welcome :3
Black lives matter.

Simon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12364 on: November 24, 2015, 04:21:53 pm »

Necromancy (Conjuration) increased to 2.

It took me more than a few hours of playing to realize you can wield a (one-handed) weapon in each hand. Even though I pictured my character as a dual-wielding mercenary while creating him (flavor, role-play stuff). I only found out about it after I saw the dual-wield perk in the one-handed weapon tree. Mind you, this is my second in-depth playthrough. Talk about facepalms. Yet I'm not finished...

So now I was happily wielding two weapons at the same time, axin' and swordin' my way thru hordes of draugrs, bandits, dragons and what-have-you. Tens of hours pass, and only then... only then it occurred to me, that maybe I'm able to do a power attack with both weapons AT THE SAME FRIGGIN' TIME. Yep, up until then, I only power-attacked with one weapon at a time.

On a slightly related note, my companion (Vorstag, the merc from Markarth) picked up a Staff of Icestorms somewhere along the way and I only noticed this after he one-shot a couple of spiders in a dungeon somewhere. Blew them away even before I drew my weapons. Funny and awesome at the same time.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12365 on: November 24, 2015, 07:49:09 pm »

Yeah, dual wielding is...weird in Skyrim though. There's no benefit to it at all til you take the dual wielding perks, and even then its still faster to just use the right hand weapon for every non-power attack strike. So I generally avoid it simply because it feels so ridiculous to lug that extra weapon around everywhere without using it.

Indeed, I do this.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12366 on: November 24, 2015, 09:05:43 pm »

Yeah. Every time I psyche myself up for a dual wielder, I wind up using a sword and shield except in the rare cases I'm fighting multiple types of enemies at a go and maybe the silver weapon is better at killing undead but I want the orcish one otherwise, or maybe one enchantment is better against one enemy than another.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12367 on: November 25, 2015, 06:50:55 am »

Power attacks with two weapons at once hit with both weapons twice; second, first and then both at once.
So that's four hits, possibly enchanted, and the possibility of sneak criticals. Plus poison.
Black lives matter.

Simon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12368 on: November 25, 2015, 07:09:43 am »

Power attacks with two weapons at once hit with both weapons twice; second, first and then both at once.
So that's four hits, possibly enchanted, and the possibility of sneak criticals. Plus poison.

This.

Once you have sufficient stamina to be able to power-attack three-four times without it draining completely, you basically turn into a killing machine if you have proper weapons. Currently I'm wielding Mace of Molag Bal for damage output and soultrap and Dawnbreaker for extra fire damage. I have the perks that boost power attacks (standing AND dual-wielding), the one that reduces its stamina cost and of course the one that increases damage by one-handed weapons. I'm telling you, there are not a lot of opponents that can survive 3+ standing power attacks with both weapons simultaneously.

I have to do without blocking, though that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make, since you can actually dodge enemy blows.

It's good to have an edge over your enemies, mainly on higher difficulties.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12369 on: November 25, 2015, 07:20:01 am »

The problem with that though is that you can get at LEAST that much DPS with any Two Hander, AND those get to block...

Indeed, I do this.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12370 on: November 25, 2015, 07:25:32 am »

Dual Wielding is meant to hit hard and fast. If you're matching DPS with a bigass great sword you are seriously unoptimized in your build.
Black lives matter.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12371 on: November 26, 2015, 04:17:01 pm »

This.

Once you have sufficient stamina to be able to power-attack three-four times without it draining completely, you basically turn into a killing machine if you have proper weapons. Currently I'm wielding Mace of Molag Bal for damage output and soultrap and Dawnbreaker for extra fire damage. I have the perks that boost power attacks (standing AND dual-wielding), the one that reduces its stamina cost and of course the one that increases damage by one-handed weapons. I'm telling you, there are not a lot of opponents that can survive 3+ standing power attacks with both weapons simultaneously.

I have to do without blocking, though that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make, since you can actually dodge enemy blows.

It's good to have an edge over your enemies, mainly on higher difficulties.

My current character is a gentlewoman thief, so of course she dual wields daggers. But I also made it a personal rule to only increase health once every five levels, and magic once every ten.

They're only orcish daggers at this point but a sneaky power attack dual dagger 15x combo monsterkill fatality? the main difficulty with that is the sneaking, not the stabbing. And the dragons, bringing friends and never landing. Dangerous Dragons, Dragon Overhaul and a couple other dragon buffing mods makes thief a scary build in falkreath. But I managed to pass the Thalmor embassy mission without ever being caught by more than one guard at a time, which I consider a stealth mission success.

The problem with that though is that you can get at LEAST that much DPS with any Two Hander, AND those get to block...
I don't need to block and don't usually want to. It's probably a sign of good balance that both builds are viable "DPS" builds, letting me play a thief because I want feel afraid of being caught while allowing you to JUSTICE / WRAAGH bandits with impunity.

That said, can't be sneaky deaky when you're hauling around a Zweihander.

*Enormous scraping noise as dragonborn shears off a groove in the top of the ceiling.*
"Huh, must have been the win- BRUH"

Decapitations are not lady like.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12372 on: December 07, 2015, 06:18:01 am »

It depends on the situation, but generally I can agree with your last statement.
[bows gently]
Black lives matter.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12373 on: December 07, 2015, 05:16:00 pm »

Or you get a mod to let you block while dual-wielding.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12374 on: December 11, 2015, 01:42:43 pm »

I made the mistake of clicking subscribe on one of the mods for Skyrim a few weeks back, while I exclusively use Mod Manager.  I've unsubscribed of course, but now it keeps showing up on my download list anyways... not actually downloading anything, but it blocks other downloads and is very annoying to see.

Also ENBoost crashes me on save load.  Took me the longest time to figure after I added it and a bunch of other mods.  ... I spent too long just modding so it wouldn't CTD.   There was also the fact that I simply did it wrong for a time...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 896