Poll

Gyros or Feta?

Gyro
- 14 (66.7%)
Feta
- 7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Let us play: Victoria 2 The new Byzantine Empire  (Read 21936 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let us play: Victoria 2 The new Byzantine Empire
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 05:19:05 pm »

If you can enact health care reforms without driving yourself into irreparable debt, do it. Health care seriously ups your population growth, which means more manpower on every front, including soldiers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 05:24:47 pm »

If you can enact health care reforms without driving yourself into irreparable debt, do it. Health care seriously ups your population growth, which means more manpower on every front, including soldiers.

At present we can only enact political reforms in the vote franchise (only landed), press rights, trade unions, and political parties. Our support for social reform is 40%, but we have a reactionary gov't which won't be pleased with reform for very long, so the chance for reform is now I think.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 06:48:44 pm »

Health care reforms cost nothing, they just decrease administrative efficiency.  Get them.  Now.  Drive yourself down to zero prestige by doing wag the dog wars on random uncivs if that's what it takes.

Also, check on the size of the Egyptian navy.  If they disbanded it at the start, don't waste any time on declaring war over Crete.  You just need to occupy the island and wait a few months and they'll send a peace offer giving you the island.  No need to invade the mainland.

I personally think that romanticism is a big waste of time as a first research tech.  It's not going to get you into the upper ranks and you aren't going to be one of the first researching it.  Your time would better spent getting a much needed industrial tech.

Don't try to start industrializing yet.  You first need to build up your number of clergymen.  Once you have 2% in all of your states you can start industrializing without fear of slowing your literacy.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2011, 07:31:49 pm »

A quick recon with our fleet (2 frigates and a transport) shows that the egyptians have 1 measly transport. Commencing the invasion of Crete. I get what you're saying about the romanticism thing, research has been switched to mechanized mining. Changed capitalists (we have 11 in the capital now) to clergy.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 07:32:20 pm »

research... nothing (or some tier 1 tech). Then when the RP production enhancing tech becomes available (in 1840) sink our leftover RPs into that. Since we're bound to be the first to research it, we'll also get the 20 prestige points from that, without needing to get Romanticism.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 07:37:02 pm »

It's too late to research nothing but we can start saving RP after the first tech is done.  Is experimental railroad not available?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 08:46:50 pm »

It's too late to research nothing but we can start saving RP after the first tech is done.  Is experimental railroad not available?

It is, I just wasn't sure. I haven't unpaused the game from like may 1836 :D (I was busy for the past 2 hours or so), so any progress on research is rather minimal anyway.

Are you sure we can get Crete from egypt pretty much unscathed, cause our budget is fubar and I don't know what a war would do to it.

Budget:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 08:55:55 pm »

I went ahead and occupied Crete quite effortlessly. Budget is under control I think, research on railroads has begun.

P.S. I can lower national stockpile since i have no factories right?

A series of sea battles of which I won until they built 4 frigates and invaded Athens. I beat the armies and have 3% warscore in my favor (2% required to take Crete) but they are still unwilling to accept...  >:(

Nevermind:

Apparently 90% of my upperhouse is liberal, so i enact healthcare reforms.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:13:14 pm by Svarte Troner »

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 09:23:00 pm »

triple post, don't worry I'll get the hang of it.

May 19th, 1838
Research on experimental rroads is done. 460 in debt remaining. 1 frigate built adding to our existing navy of 3 ships. Tarrifs at 39%. We are in 13th place because of prestige.

September 5th, 1838
This is our last chance to enact political reforms before the upper house becomes more conservative

Politics:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:26:45 pm by Svarte Troner »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 09:27:52 pm »

Get the voting franchise rolling, I guess. I'm not sure we are going to be affected very much by political reform right now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 09:42:29 pm »

Get press rights then labor unions the consciousness gains from those will be helpful while voting wont accomplish much right now.

And yeah, keep maintenance at zero right now.  All that maintenance is going to the army and you don't really need morale since the ottos can crush you anyways.  Once you start building railroads, go into the trade menu and set the stockpiles for military goods to zero until the railroads are bought so you dont waste money on the military.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 10:16:17 pm »

April 8th, 1841

Slowly building railroads, over 3/4ths of the provinces are constructing them. I've never really dealt with the trade tab in any of the games i've played, but I set military stockpiles on zero and also put military spending on zero.

It turns out our upperhouse is not becoming more conservative... and I've enacted free press and state controlled unions.

As of April, 1840, We have 3% plurality which means we can use this new decision:

I've also been trying to kiss Russian ass lately, but can't get them to accept an alliance.

We now have 6000 research points:

Now that someone (who?) is building factories, should I encourage capitalists?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 10:18:12 pm »

The point of saving up research points was to wait until 1840 when the second column in the tech tree becomes available.  That lets you beat everyone else to that tech and get like 60 prestige.  It doesn't do too much good if you wait around until 1841...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2011, 10:26:50 pm »

oh. Obviously I'm not very good at this game, so we could sneakily revert to the jan 1 1840 autosave  :-[

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2011, 10:34:47 pm »

Yeah, it's not that far back but it will be great for your prestige.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6