Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135

Author Topic: kingdoms: web-based RPG  (Read 126286 times)

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
Re: kingdoms: web-based RPG
« Reply #1995 on: February 09, 2015, 05:36:22 pm »

A garrison allows XP and gold growth though. It seems the obvious choice.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: February 09, 2015, 05:50:07 pm »

Garrisons are better than a city garrison too, since you get the monster XP/gold as well as barracks/market bonuses

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: February 13, 2015, 02:24:38 pm »

Bump: Stormtroopers offered me 1 million GP to join Staberinde, depending on me staying with the kingdom for 100 days.

I'm not going to take the offer of course.

Voting is open for a dwarven kingdom name, based on submissions
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148368.0

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1998 on: February 13, 2015, 02:27:02 pm »

Bump: Stormtroopers offered me 1 million GP to join Staberinde, depending on me staying with the kingdom for 100 days.

Wow. I suppose it's not surprising, considering your current standings.

I've voted on the name. I'll have to carry on passively leveling for a while, but I might be able to play a bit tomorrow.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: February 13, 2015, 03:42:33 pm »

Wow. I suppose it's not surprising, considering your current standings.

I've voted on the name. I'll have to carry on passively leveling for a while, but I might be able to play a bit tomorrow.

To be bluntly honest if I were them I'd welcome the current opposition. The game must be pretty boring to just have it on lock, right?

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: February 13, 2015, 06:34:32 pm »

If you think about it, 1 million must be chump change to this guy.  No doubt he could crush any kingdom we put together very easily if he felt like it.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: February 13, 2015, 08:16:29 pm »

If we ever fight them, we need to exploit the only advantage we have over them: Turns. Using scorched earth tactics, we would quickly deplete their turns, while we can slowly advance ourselves.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: February 14, 2015, 12:37:33 am »

So I was the second reply to this thread, and now I want to ask another question.  Is the progression from party of heroes to mayor/town something that must be done?  Is it possible (and viable?) to have a party of characters that you train up and dive dungeons forever with?

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: February 14, 2015, 01:15:25 am »

You can, but after around level 20, just dungeon crawling gets very tedious.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2004 on: February 14, 2015, 01:26:48 am »

You can keep making garrisons and storing characters there for as long as you like, so you could keep - essentially - replaying from the start, without taking cities or anything.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: February 14, 2015, 02:27:28 am »

So I was the second reply to this thread, and now I want to ask another question.  Is the progression from party of heroes to mayor/town something that must be done?  Is it possible (and viable?) to have a party of characters that you train up and dive dungeons forever with?

There's no need to progress that way. But after getting a town it doesn't need to stop you dungeon diving: you hire a low-level chump and install them as mayor, then go about whatever adventuring business you like.

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: February 14, 2015, 03:26:29 am »

Level 17 now and still dungeon diving.  My instincts suggest to keep diving until I level up to max level at 25?  Or at least until paying 15k a pop for new characters with customised starting stats is reasonable. 

Or should I capture a town ASAP?

What happens in PVP?  I see I can attack groups or garrisons and raid structures.  But if you just leave a garrison out in the wilderness no one can see you on the map unless they walk onto the exact same square?  If your party is completely wiped in either P v E or P v P then what?  Do all your dead players get teleported to the nearest town with an option to pay the resurrection price or are they gone for good?

The last major strategic multi-player alliance game I played was astroempires and top players could easily wipe out quite a few weaker players - an economic production say 10 times as high, better technologies meaning maybe 30% more bang for buck, and advantage of size meant complete kill of an enemy force in one round, meaning that even ten players ganging up one one top player would not win.  And the top players were usually in guilds with dozens of friends and much better organisation/team work then the newer/weaker players anyway.

But here there is only a couple of handful of decent and active players all up?  And if I get a team of 8 level 25 chars how does that compare to the current top player with the best gear?  My early impression is that the gear isn't all that powerful - blacksmith upgrades sure help, but I suspect that a weakly equipped party at level 25 could still deal some pain to the better equipped veteran?  But they win and heal up at the healer (and I'm guessing so does the loser) so what point to party vs party combat?  Or is it more about wiping out each other's towns and seeing who can do it to the other faster?  How good does my party need to be to take out one of the top players towns?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: February 14, 2015, 03:44:19 am »

Go get a town, use the bay12 map to find one in the SE corner which is still NPC. You will have to place one of your starting party when you conquer the town, but can then hire a low-level mage to replace them: most mayor skills are INT based, so a mage is best. After that, continue adventuring and don't worry about the town too much.

Town garrisons are tough though, so be prepared and fully healed, fully refreshed with spells, and be careful with healing. elite guards are very dangerous, so you can't just "auto" these battles, you need to optimize fully each round: have each priest take about 1 haste spell per 10 heals, caste haste on 1-2 warriors at the start of each battle (if facing more than 3-4 guys), focus all attacks on one target at a time, and re-target once that one is dead. Elite Town Guards pack a real punch, and can withstand a lot of hits, so you need to reduce their numbers quickly rather than trust the auto targeting (which works fine for most dungeons, but fails badly when you're fighting higher level enemies). Make sure to keep an eye on healing during battles, and heal up fully between battles too so that you don't have low HP going into these battles. If you bring a mage, make sure they cast a lot of expensive spells like entangle ASAP. The mage probably won't survive long in the raid.

Don't worry too much about getting the "perfect" starting characters for $15000. Mostly having extra characters is so you can make a garrison/barracks to hold land for the kingdom we're about to make. Because they're just guarding a point from monsters, a bunch of motley cheap recruits are fine.

Yeah, the effective PvP in this game is about attrition: picking off the top player's scattered garrisons and peripheral towns, etc. The limit of a single 8-character main party prevents the big player from being able to steamroll over multiple players quickly.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:02:57 am by Reelya »

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: February 14, 2015, 06:24:37 am »

My main dude is at level 17 now, and the rest of the main party is between 12 and 15 in level. Should I be attacking crap towns, or dunjun diving, and / or buying loads of cheap - o characters and giving them xp?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: February 14, 2015, 06:36:08 am »

focus on advancing your main party until they're all 15+ at least. A town is probably do-able around party level 17-20. only get extra characters once you want to create a permanent garrison with a castle and barracks (costs $40K+ for materials to make a level 3 castle plus maxxed barracks), it's too fiddly to try and level them up the normal way unless you're really bored.

you don't get loot/money from attacking towns, so stick to dungeons for level ups.

don't forget we have some locations on the map highlighted with a blue tent. These are the locations which need a bay12 castle there to gain the most land coverage/control with minimal number of buildings. So, if you can't do a city yet, maybe think about grabbing 6-8 cheap recruits (level 3-4+) and build a castle at one of those locations. Castles are cheaper and faster to build once you have high level characters, and more so if you have one with high Construction skill. I'd recommend give one of your main party characters construction as their second skill.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:41:50 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135