Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 216603 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #330 on: October 25, 2011, 05:39:25 pm »

Is that before or after you torture her to death?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 25, 2011, 05:39:59 pm »

Is that before or after you torture her to death?
Exactly what I was about to ask.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 25, 2011, 05:41:44 pm »

I doubt I'd actually do that IRL. She's far too adorable.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 25, 2011, 05:47:08 pm »

On that note, time for a massively tangential discussion. What if, in the real world, these ponies appeared? Suddenly and inexplicably. Presumably contained to one area, somewhere in lesser-known parts of the globe.

Assume the ponies are exactly as depicted, powers and all, allowing visual changes to account for real-world lighting conditions, etc (as in, they don't look cartoony).

What would happen? To them? Maybe to us?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 25, 2011, 05:50:21 pm »

They would be quickly swarmed by fans and fanatics. People would probably attempt to kidnap their favorite characters and then massive manhunts would ensue until the ponies were eventually rounded up and put under protection. Eventually, the insanity would quiet down, and the ponies might become perfectly ordinary.

They'd probably also want to have a talk with the people who wrote all the nightmarish stuff involving them on the internet.
Nothing important here, move along.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 25, 2011, 05:52:12 pm »

The question still remains of exactly how Celestia and Luna control the day/night cycle, though.

Another thing that has bugged me actually.  I was under the impression that they didn't actually do this: it was just a legend.  Nightmare Moon certainly seemed to believe that she was capable of causing it to eternally be night, but there's a difference between her being able to do that and the two of them actually keeping the day / night cycle going all the time.  I figure they can just override it if they want / need to.

Otherwise, how does that work exactly?  Does their planet orbit a star, or is it some sort of bizarre mini star that orbits their planet opposite of their moon?  Do they have to concentrate on the fact that they're doing this, or does it just passively happen at their will?  Because the sun clearly moves all throughout the day, unless Celestia stops every hour to bump it along like Lesson Zero showed (which I assume was a joke anyway).

It seems to me that if the ponies did have complete control over the day / night cycles, then other inhabitants of their planet would be pretty uneasy about that.  Lots of dangerous possibilities there.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 25, 2011, 05:53:28 pm »

They'd be dead in an hour.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 25, 2011, 05:57:38 pm »

The question still remains of exactly how Celestia and Luna control the day/night cycle, though.

Another thing that has bugged me actually.  I was under the impression that they didn't actually do this: it was just a legend.  Nightmare Moon certainly seemed to believe that she was capable of causing it to eternally be night, but there's a difference between her being able to do that and the two of them actually keeping the day / night cycle going all the time.  I figure they can just override it if they want / need to.

Otherwise, how does that work exactly?  Does their planet orbit a star, or is it some sort of bizarre mini star that orbits their planet opposite of their moon?  Do they have to concentrate on the fact that they're doing this, or does it just passively happen at their will?  Because the sun clearly moves all throughout the day, unless Celestia stops every hour to bump it along like Lesson Zero showed (which I assume was a joke anyway).

It seems to me that if the ponies did have complete control over the day / night cycles, then other inhabitants of their planet would be pretty uneasy about that.  Lots of dangerous possibilities there.

Their planet doesn't orbit a star, a star kind of orbits the planet.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 25, 2011, 05:58:09 pm »

Celestia and Luna are worshipped as Gods. They probably have the raw magical energy to make the planet itself stand still.
That, or their solar system is so messed up that there is no rotation of the planet. The planet and moon must be influenced via magic in order to have proper planetary rotations and seasons.

Wow, their world must be REALLY bad  :P

On that note, time for a massively tangential discussion. What if, in the real world, these ponies appeared? Suddenly and inexplicably. Presumably contained to one area, somewhere in lesser-known parts of the globe.

Assume the ponies are exactly as depicted, powers and all, allowing visual changes to account for real-world lighting conditions, etc (as in, they don't look cartoony).

What would happen? To them? Maybe to us?
Celestia and Luna would probably take over the world. Celestia could threaten humanity with burning them all to death with the sun, or Luna could threaten with an impact event.

Celestia would handle the majority of matters, while Luna would help the enslaved humans with space travel and technology. The ponies would become more dark due to the conflict, and then the humans would be utterly depressed due to the situation. Cue nuclear retaliation by idiots. *cough* NK *cough*

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 25, 2011, 06:07:03 pm »

Cue nuclear retaliation by idiots.

Nuke the site fro....
...oh why bother.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 25, 2011, 06:10:09 pm »

Cue nuclear retaliation by idiots.

Nuke the site fro....
...oh why bother.
"WHAT? THEY DARE NUKE US FROM SPACE? WELL THEY CAN HAVE FUN IN THE SUN!"
"Isn't your line 'on the moon'?"
"Would you like to go to the moon?"

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 25, 2011, 06:11:36 pm »

Going through the pony contest submissions for welovefine.

Dear god I hope this wins.

As for the other end of the spectrum of quality...
There's an even worse one that mentions clopping but I didn't get a link to it and it's ~300 shirts back.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 25, 2011, 06:14:12 pm »

Going through the pony contest submissions for welovefine.

Dear god I hope this wins.

As for the other end of the spectrum of quality...
There's an even worse one that mentions clopping but I didn't get a link to it and it's ~300 shirts back.
First one is badass, second one is lol

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 25, 2011, 06:17:46 pm »

As for "what about humans".

1 - Ponies use tools clearly resigned for bipeds (or at least creatures with hands). Hammers or even freaking swords with a HANDle.
If ponies were to create their own tools they would be most likely operated by their mouths or (in case of unicorns) magic.

2 - We have Discord the slightely deranged demigod (or even a god) who can alter reality itself and ruled the country before the princesses.
He could pop up just about anywhere and do whatever he darn likes.
IE. the pony planet might be just about any planet including Earth and the current inhabitants (hydras griffons manticores and ponies of all sorts) are just animals/humans twisted by his magic while he was partying hard. (Discord turning every single human into a pony while leaving their inteligence and memories intact would surely brew up utter chaos he loves so much.)

Now some of you might say... it can't be earth because equestria is geocentric.
Sure the show had a solar system model with a planet in the center...
but the curent equestrian tech level is somewhat schizophrenic. Ovens and Trains on one side and candles, parchments and quills on the other.
IE they most likely don't have the means to know how their solar system works.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 25, 2011, 06:22:11 pm »

As for "what about humans".

1 - Ponies use tools clearly resigned for bipeds (or at least creatures with hands). Hammers or even freaking swords with a HANDle.
If ponies were to create their own tools they would be most likely operated by their mouths or (in case of unicorns) magic.

2 - We have Discord the slightely deranged demigod (or even a god) who can alter reality itself and ruled the country before the princesses.
He could pop up just about anywhere and do whatever he darn likes.
IE. the pony planet might be just about any planet including Earth and the current inhabitants (hydras griffons manticores and ponies of all sorts) are just animals/humans twisted by his magic while he was partying hard. (Discord turning every single human into a pony while leaving their inteligence and memories intact would surely brew up utter chaos he loves so much.)

Now some of you might say... it can't be earth because equestria is geocentric.
Sure the show had a solar system model with a planet in the center...
but the curent equestrian tech level is somewhat schizophrenic. Ovens and Trains on one side and candles, parchments and quills on the other.
IE they most likely don't have the means to know how their solar system works.
Infact, Discord could have just blown up the other planets, and made the solar system geocentric too  :P
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 153