Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 215294 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #1110 on: November 09, 2011, 02:26:51 pm »

Expect a thread on ponychan in the projects section in a week from me.

I don't care if the show's gonna go down or not. I don't care if season 2 and 3 end up sucking. Season 1's goddamn awesome enough for me to want to make the fangame circling in my head for the past few months. It's shit right now, but the engine's 95% built. I just need artists and content.

If the show ends up canceled, it's going to end with a bang. I want to be part of that bang.

*cracks knuckles*

Back to programming.
It's not an XCom crossover, is it?

Because I want an XCom crossover.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 09, 2011, 02:32:32 pm »

no.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 09, 2011, 02:52:44 pm »

*snip*And who is saying the transdimensional portal system won't go wrong and you'll end up teleporting a whole platoon of nazis, the majority of Genghis Khan's forces and a group of British soldiers from the Somme into Equestria? That'd lead to one hell of a want for a nail, leading to Equestria mostly being ponies either under the Third Reich, Genghis Khan, England or the scattered forces of Celestia? That wouldn't be a nice place to live. I'll stay right here until it has been proven safe, thank you very much.
The mongols would use ponies as epic mounts, at first, trying to capture and train them like horses, then breeding em with horses they brought from back home to try to get bigger ponies.  Sooner or later, they'll learn that ponies are intelligent, but, having the perceived upper hand, they would be very resistant to changing how things are from the top-down. 
By that time, ponies will be 'tainted' by the fighting and such they had to do to defend themselves from the Mongols and as their mounts... as the Mongols, roam Equestria and beyond, exploring this new world, not knowing what to think of all the 'peaceful' beast people they encounter.
But, seeing as how Genghis Khan united the Mongol horde for a common cause... there may be fractures to the alliance, with no perceived threat other then a relatively new and peaceful land of plenty...

See, the thing is that Genghis Khan only continued to expand his empire because it was the best way to keep potential political threats (i.e. male relatives, other leaders) far, far away. He even changed the Mongol marriage practices, so that rather than having potential son-in-laws work as apprentices as sorts under his family to prove their worth, he sent them out to the battlefield, where most of them died. As a matter of fact, he had something approaching a patologic distrust for men, as in his youth he had been systematically betrayed by male relatives and allies. Later in his life, he set his daughters up as the rulers of various regions of his empire, both because he trusted them, and because they were more competent than his sons. He actually avoided conflict when possible, preferring to bring new lands into the empire through political marriages. Couple this with the respect for horses inherent in any sort of nomadic culture, and I think it is much more likely that he would ally with the Equestrians, rather than conquer and enslave them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 09, 2011, 03:05:34 pm »

Yeah, but I can see WW2 technology seriously messing with the current technology levels of Equestria. I mean, a machine gun on a good spot could probably lead to the pony equal of WW1 where the tactics haven't caught up with the technology, but even worse since ponies are at medieval level technologies. Even they had pegasussi an AA gun would sort them right out. And I was actually considering that instead of Somme, there should be a platoon of American soldiers, Vietnam era. With helicopters!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 09, 2011, 03:31:46 pm »

TBH, what I'd really like to see (and am tempted to write) is a HiE story without:
+ Humans are Bastards
+ Equestria on Earth
+ Overdone crossovers (40k, MechWarrior)
+ "Hey let's plunge ponies into some arbitrary war to break the formula of the show" (Not opposed to war within the story, but it needs to make more sense than just transposing two conflicting factions into Equestria via plot device)
+ No 'lol twilight screwed up a spell and made an interuniversal rift' plot device. That sort of thing is usually necessary to set up the show, but that and the 'humans made science go boom' excuses are getting very, very old. A perfect example of what would work well: Crossing MLP with Hell's Gate, as that provides interuniversal transport that has nothing to do with the factions. Have a portal open near Canterlot leading somewhere into Sharonan territory, set up an encounter, and voila. Actually, I really want to do this now.

I would start writing that right away, but I've already got two things that need writing.

3. Run Resize Enable

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 09, 2011, 05:03:02 pm »

Someone have to write this fic: A modern force of some kind arrive in Equestria, and starts massacring ponies. Twilight casts http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SummonEverymanHero ... and get Ghengis Khan, who now have to teach them the art of war in time to save them, while fighting prejudice from misinformed present day people.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 09, 2011, 05:08:50 pm »

Genghis Khan would be unable to stop a modern force. He usually won because his enemies were incompetent/ feared him
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: November 09, 2011, 05:23:02 pm »

Yeah, but I can see WW2 technology seriously messing with the current technology levels of Equestria. I mean, a machine gun on a good spot could probably lead to the pony equal of WW1 where the tactics haven't caught up with the technology, but even worse since ponies are at medieval level technologies. Even they had pegasussi an AA gun would sort them right out. And I was actually considering that instead of Somme, there should be a platoon of American soldiers, Vietnam era. With helicopters!
In the case of tech... bring what you can carry/ride in or on?  So there would be a limited supply... not much salvage even.
Don't believe its easy or even possible to build fancy tech stuff without the know-how and materials.  Unless its a two way portal where they can go back and bring more people/stuff in to put up buildings/defenses... 

*snip*
More then likely, ponies don't speak Mongol nor do Mongol speak pony.  Whatever stuff said by ponies can easily be seen as noises animals make.  Mongols would still want to capture and train ponies to replenish their current stock of horses and try to breed them to make them bigger.  Yea, they can probably figure they are intelligent, but hey, they've just been moved way out of their element... to a lush green land filled with weird things and the occasional giant deadly creature...

But yea, I could see a tentative alliance being struck if Celestia could speak to and understand them...  right from the beginning...  maybe most will be ok with it at first, but if the Mongol horde falls apart to infighting or goes about conquering other races... would the ponies back away from that alliance?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: November 09, 2011, 05:48:16 pm »

In the case of tech... bring what you can carry/ride in or on?  So there would be a limited supply... not much salvage even.
Don't believe its easy or even possible to build fancy tech stuff without the know-how and materials.  Unless its a two way portal where they can go back and bring more people/stuff in to put up buildings/defenses... 

*snip*
More then likely, ponies don't speak Mongol nor do Mongol speak pony.  Whatever stuff said by ponies can easily be seen as noises animals make.  Mongols would still want to capture and train ponies to replenish their current stock of horses and try to breed them to make them bigger.  Yea, they can probably figure they are intelligent, but hey, they've just been moved way out of their element... to a lush green land filled with weird things and the occasional giant deadly creature...

But yea, I could see a tentative alliance being struck if Celestia could speak to and understand them...  right from the beginning...  maybe most will be ok with it at first, but if the Mongol horde falls apart to infighting or goes about conquering other races... would the ponies back away from that alliance?

First: Even if for some reason Celestia didn't have a translating spell/the innate ability to understand and be understoof by all creatures, Fluttershy likely would be able to communicate with humans on some sort of level. For that matter, the idea of ponies speaking the same language as the Mongols isn't any more far-fetched than them speaking English, which shows up in practically every HiE story as fact, rather than translation convention.

Second: Unless we're working with the assumption that the entire Mongolian Empire was transposed (which doesn't seem to be the case), it would likely only be the Great Khan and his extended family, which would eliminate the need to continually be at war in order to keep potential rivals out in the field. At least, if we're working on the same assumptions of scale as the WWII example. Quite apart from that, the Mongol secret histories (which were essentially a large collection of stories about the lives of his family) show quite clearly that he was no savage. Although given his typical method of forming alliances, that could be rather squicky. Blueblood x Alaqai? For some reason I don't think he'd get along with someone who chased down and tackled a man who kidnapped her younger brother when she was still a fairly young child, held him while her brother stabbed him with his own dagger, until a pair of guards caught up and killed him with an axe.

3. Run Resize Enable

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 09, 2011, 05:55:58 pm »

The Secret Histories were propaganda, plain and simple.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 09, 2011, 06:06:37 pm »

I just wanna see Ponies Vs. Nazis Vs. Mongols Vs. Vietnam Era Americans. :'(

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: November 09, 2011, 06:17:41 pm »

I just wanna see Ponies Vs. Nazis Vs. Mongols Vs. Vietnam Era Americans. :'(
I support this. You could take out the mongols, and I'd still be happy  :P

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: November 09, 2011, 06:19:25 pm »

Wouldn't 'Nam era Americans completely whip Nazi ass, being that they would pretty much have near-intimate detail on the arms and common tactics of the Nazi soldiers?
Nothing important here, move along.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 09, 2011, 06:20:27 pm »

Yes. They would.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: November 09, 2011, 06:22:21 pm »

Hm. We should set up problems so that each group won't completely wipe out the other. Maybe the 'Nam Americans should be critically outnumbered?
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 153