Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 215301 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #1245 on: November 10, 2011, 07:43:25 pm »

Posting an excerpt from my futurefic I've been considering writing. "Pen" is the main character of the fic, and Trixie's little brother. Things happened, stuff exploded, and now Pen has brain damage that cuts off conscious access to most of his magic, as well as making him somewhat emotionally volatile, and he blames Trixie for reasons you may be able to figure out from reading the story. Trixie moved to Ponyville about two years prior to this, but made a few visits in the preceding years, the first of which was to try and make up for her abysmal first impression. She currently works with Twilight on her magical research, as well as putting on the occasional magic show for the young ones.

Time difference: 12 years.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
くコ:彡

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: November 10, 2011, 07:47:04 pm »

I'm not worrying. They're getting better.

+1.

Oh, and Necro? That derail was hilarious.

Though of course I can't condone actions which are against the forum guidelines, as I don't want to deal with warnings/mutes myself am a law-abiding forumgoer.

Danke, danke.

Twas hilarious indeed. I shall name it... Tim

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: November 10, 2011, 07:49:55 pm »

I think Tom is a much better name.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: November 10, 2011, 07:51:10 pm »

Tom's already taken by Fniff's baby, though.
Nothing important here, move along.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: November 10, 2011, 07:53:01 pm »

What about Tam, then? Tam is a good name, too.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: November 10, 2011, 07:55:08 pm »

Tam should work. But we should let Necro decide.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: November 10, 2011, 07:55:48 pm »

Tam is actually a variant of Tom, it turns out. Huh.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: November 10, 2011, 08:01:22 pm »

Sorry, Tam Black is the name of my psychotic post-nuclear 13 year old chainsmoking survivor. Taken already!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: November 10, 2011, 08:01:49 pm »

It's not like the three subspecies couldn't interbreed. If they couldn't, pony society would probably be quite a bit more segregated.

Some official confirmation of this would be nice, though.  Rarity's parents go a long way toward that I suppose, but there's still a little wiggle room for wondering.  He could be a step father, for example.

I agree that pony society would probably be more segregated if they couldn't interbreed, but that is in a way what we see.  Canterlot is mostly unicorns, isn't it?  Cloudesdale is obvious.

The overwhelming evidence so far is that the three types of ponies either can't or don't interbreed.  Rarity's parents are the sole exception so far.  I wonder how it would work anyway... can you get any of the 3 types out of any combination, or can you only be what your parents were?

Obviously this would be a terrible way to explain alicorns, but I'm still waiting on that one.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: November 10, 2011, 08:08:36 pm »

-snip-
I'm always a bit cautious with judging fan fictions because I haven't read a lot of them, but from that short part, it could potentially be very good. This is probably an incredibly useless comment, but I'd definitely read your fanfic.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: November 10, 2011, 08:25:09 pm »

It's not like the three subspecies couldn't interbreed. If they couldn't, pony society would probably be quite a bit more segregated.

Some official confirmation of this would be nice, though.  Rarity's parents go a long way toward that I suppose, but there's still a little wiggle room for wondering.  He could be a step father, for example.

I agree that pony society would probably be more segregated if they couldn't interbreed, but that is in a way what we see.  Canterlot is mostly unicorns, isn't it?  Cloudesdale is obvious.

The overwhelming evidence so far is that the three types of ponies either can't or don't interbreed.  Rarity's parents are the sole exception so far.  I wonder how it would work anyway... can you get any of the 3 types out of any combination, or can you only be what your parents were?

Obviously this would be a terrible way to explain alicorns, but I'm still waiting on that one.

Dinky. Regardless of whether their relationship as mother-daughter is canon, they have identical color schemes. The way I interpreted it is that interbreeding has a random result of one of the two, and that the reason we haven't seen more interracial pairings is because by and large the three communities we've seen are largely divided based on purpose (Canterlot: capital, center of magic, ergo unicorns; Cloudsdale: in the sky, made of clouds, weather production, ergo pegasi; Ponyville: agricultural village with a few shops/traders, ergo mostly earth ponies with a smattering of unicorns and pegasi in occupations that are easier for them (librarian, craftspony, mailmare, weather control, etc.)), all of which would for the most part keep them seperate without any active or forced segregation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: November 10, 2011, 08:25:57 pm »

-snip-
I'm always a bit cautious with judging fan fictions because I haven't read a lot of them, but from that short part, it could potentially be very good. This is probably an incredibly useless comment, but I'd definitely read your fanfic.
i
aadafsadsadfsdf

thank you
i am just
SO self-conscious when it comes to my writing
i can do dialogue but i'm not good at wordy-descriptive-filler-fluff-stuff which makes just plain writing an absolute nightmare for me hahaha nightmare PONY PUNS WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING i think i need sleep.
くコ:彡

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: November 10, 2011, 09:10:53 pm »

Dinky. Regardless of whether their relationship as mother-daughter is canon, they have identical color schemes.

I wish they would confirm their relationship.  Heck, I'd appreciate a strong parent-child relationship in the show (even if Derpy is a background pony).  They've taken a few other things from the fandom, so I don't see the harm in it.

The rest makes sense, and I suppose the locations we've seen and heard of are polarized by function.  I would like to see more interspecies (well, I'm not sure that's the proper term here, maybe even not subspecies) relationships, but in the end I guess it's just not important enough for the writers to waste time on this sort of thing.  And you have to handle it carefully, otherwise you can end up with (hopefully unintentional) parallels with real life you don't want.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: November 10, 2011, 09:15:21 pm »

Like inter-subspecies (right term unless they can't breed, which would make them separate species) racism? I think that the crew could pull off a good educational about how stuff like that would be a problem without pissing anybody off but the racial supremacists, and they're unimportant.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: November 10, 2011, 09:18:21 pm »

Hey! I'm a race-based supremacist! How dare they make a show which favourably compares greyhound racing to horse racing!
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 153