Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 216609 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #1350 on: November 11, 2011, 05:18:25 am »

Think of it like a film, quiaff? Your present tense is your lead role running and gunning. Your future is when he's back at headquarters, planning the next raid. Past tense is when he's remembering his last raid. Pluperfect is when he's thinking about the start of the war. Future perfect is when he's thinking about how it's going to end.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: November 11, 2011, 05:24:13 am »

...okay, so I kinda failed English last year. And the year before. So forgive me for my ignorance, but is pluperfect actually a real word or did you just pull that out of your ass?
くコ:彡

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: November 11, 2011, 05:33:38 am »

It's a real word. Means 'more than perfect', or to put it in the vernacular, 'before the perfect tense'. You also have an imperfect tense, but not used as much in English. That's the one in which you say an action has been done and continues to be done (ie 'The man drank') but not necessarily has (as opposed to perfect, in which the action has been completed (The man used to drink) and pluperfect, where the action had been completed and has ceased (The man had used to drink))
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: November 11, 2011, 05:50:57 am »

I see. This could prove useful. Thank you very much.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: November 11, 2011, 05:58:49 am »

No problem.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: November 11, 2011, 06:00:31 am »

Hrm. Me fail English? That's unpossible!

First time I hear the "pluperfect" word as well. Oh well, learn something new every day...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: November 11, 2011, 06:04:43 am »

You might know of it as past perfect.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: November 11, 2011, 06:06:32 am »

Ah. That word I used to know.

(or wait, is that the correct tense? "Knew" would be past, "used to know" past perfect? Or not? Argh, damn you, English language! I have enough trouble focusing on things I write without worrying about intricacies of the ten point half billion tenses.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:08:05 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: November 11, 2011, 06:09:06 am »

Used to know is past perfect.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: November 11, 2011, 06:14:49 am »

And sure, now I'm thinking of more weird tenses. Like I don't have anything else to do. ("will have used to know"? Referring to a future state in which an event has been completed at some point in the past? Does that even make sense?)

Let's switch back to ponies.

How long does it usually take EqD to review a fic? Something's taking them too long. Not that it's really bad for us, since it gives us more time to get the second part streamlined, but...
Also, is Impending still impending? He should post what he has to the google doc so that we can at least see if it's all going in the right direction.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: November 11, 2011, 06:17:02 am »

If this is about that fic, I'd almost suspect that they just outright rejected it, were it not for the fact that this is the internet.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: November 11, 2011, 06:26:31 am »

They'd inform Dsarker if they rejected it, but other than the slightly flimsy (in my opinion) overall quality and some sort of heavy foreshadowing to something sinister happening, there is little reason for them to reject the part we submitted outright. There's nothing bad in that fic, we don't want to scare our readers away.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: November 11, 2011, 06:28:14 am »

And sure, now I'm thinking of more weird tenses. Like I don't have anything else to do. ("will have used to know"? Referring to a future state in which an event has been completed at some point in the past? Does that even make sense?)

Do you mean a Future Perfect or a Future Pluperfect?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: November 11, 2011, 06:33:47 am »

Do you mean a Future Perfect or a Future Pluperfect?
I mean a... *brings up the Wiki*... huh. Apparently, a "Posterior tense". Figures. Can't go ten feet on the internet without bumping into some kind of posterior.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: November 11, 2011, 06:39:26 am »

I will have done it. - Future Perfect

I will do it. - Future

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 153