Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 216697 times)

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #2265 on: November 18, 2011, 05:52:36 pm »

probalby been linked. don;t feel like digging back more than ten pages
my discord song of choice.

and yeah, any rating/tagging system will have flaws. but C for 'Cupcakes' makes sense to me.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: November 18, 2011, 05:54:33 pm »

There are few things that can throw me into fits of real life rage, but implying that men being raped is in any way, shape, or form less heinous than women being raped is one of them. Use the same tag, please.

Actually, running with the interpretation Dsarker took from that comment of mine on how rape isn't funny, the implication would have been the other way around.

No. Capitals are used for more severe/heinous/more pronounced parts of a story. Using an l for rape of men and a L for the rape of women implies that the rape of women is worse.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: November 18, 2011, 05:55:44 pm »

Actually, I'd prefer it if there were no gender specific tags at all.
And I still maintain my original position that if something needs a tag to indicate that there is rape in it, it probably shouldn't be included in the first place, as approximately 0% of rapes in (fan)fiction are treated seriously. So, I would say no rape tag at all, because chances are, the rape isn't particularly relevant to the plot, should never have been included in the first place, and should be removed before inclusion.
I disagree with you there. There are plenty of reasons why rape in a fanfic can be relevant to the plot. For example, a MLP/I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream crossover. Could be really good if done well and rape is an important part in one of the characters' back story.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: November 18, 2011, 06:05:18 pm »

Actually, I'd prefer it if there were no gender specific tags at all.
And I still maintain my original position that if something needs a tag to indicate that there is rape in it, it probably shouldn't be included in the first place, as approximately 0% of rapes in (fan)fiction are treated seriously. So, I would say no rape tag at all, because chances are, the rape isn't particularly relevant to the plot, should never have been included in the first place, and should be removed before inclusion.
I disagree with you there. There are plenty of reasons why rape in a fanfic can be relevant to the plot. For example, a MLP/I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream crossover. Could be really good if done well and rape is an important part in one of the characters' back story.

See, the thing is, it would be necessary if there were stories where rape didn't exist solely as drama or squick. If there were stories with good reasons for a rape to occur, yeah. But there aren't.

There are few things that can throw me into fits of real life rage, but implying that men being raped is in any way, shape, or form less heinous than women being raped is one of them. Use the same tag, please.

Actually, running with the interpretation Dsarker took from that comment of mine on how rape isn't funny, the implication would have been the other way around.

No. Capitals are used for more severe/heinous/more pronounced parts of a story. Using an l for rape of men and a L for the rape of women implies that the rape of women is worse.

Refer to: context of the post. Specifically, it was poking holes in the idea of rape as comedy, not following the rules of how to properly indicate the degree of disgust which should be associated with a story. lol is an indicator of mild amusement, LOL is an indicator of actual laughter. It was pretty obvious that it wasn't intended as a serious contribution to the list.

For a semi-serious suggestion, suggest [y] and [Y], as in "Why would you imply this?" and "Why the hell would you post this!?"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: November 18, 2011, 06:07:03 pm »

It's the same reason why torture can be relevant to the plot - like it is in the case of FiN. There aren't any fics with plot-relevant and/or well-written rape yet - that doesn't mean there won't be, at least theoretically.

By the way, we forgot a "Horror" tag. What should we use for that, a B? As in, "Boo"?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:08:37 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: November 18, 2011, 06:12:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: November 18, 2011, 06:13:20 pm »

It's the same reason why torture can be relevant to the plot - like it is in the case of FiN.

By the way, we forgot a "Horror" tag. What should we use for that, a B? As in, "Boo"?
Would be difficult, really. What would "horror" be? It's mainly just a feeling of intense fear and dread. Whether something will horrify the reader should be clear from the rest of the tags. Like [GTC], that's pretty horrible.
Or do you mean "horror" more specifically, as in supernatural entities/events intended to frighten the reader? I guess that would make sense, but this definitely needs to be cleared up.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: November 18, 2011, 06:22:12 pm »

Horror as in horror. I don't know. Perhaps a "thriller" would be a closer term to what I'm thinking (remember, English as a second language here). We have tags covering most facets of emotion a story can elicit in response - happiness, sadness, repulsion and hate (in many many forms), and this one would concern fear, on either side of the fourth wall. I don't know if it's even possible to make the reader fear in sympathetic response to a written story...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: November 18, 2011, 06:26:57 pm »

It's the same reason why torture can be relevant to the plot - like it is in the case of FiN.

Would be difficult, really. What would "horror" be? It's mainly just a feeling of intense fear and dread. Whether something will horrify the reader should be clear from the rest of the tags. Like [GTC], that's pretty horrible.
Or do you mean "horror" more specifically, as in supernatural entities/events intended to frighten the reader? I guess that would make sense, but this definitely needs to be cleared up.

You'd also need to differentiate between "Scooby Doo 'it was old man Withers le gasp'" horror, "Oooh scary effects but nothing is really happening Blair Witch" horror, and "Brain-melting cosmic abomination knows your name" Lovecraftian horror.

Re: No good uses of rape >yet<. I think that I can stand very well on this in saying that we don't need to invent a tag for something which, in all probability, never exist. We've demonstrated how to use torture (or in TBP's case, gorn) to advance the plot and affect characters in meaningful ways, and others have as well. I have yet to see a fanfiction in which rape of any sort wasn't either being played for drama, being played for comedy, or trivialized. For that matter, I can think of very few published works in which rape is treated seriously, and most of those are of the variety where rape is included because it fits with the pseudohistorical context; if you've got a low-fantasy medieval Europe standin, there will probably be rape. If the mooks are space pirates, slavers, etc., there will probably be rape. So in those it is used as detail work in the worldbuilding, rather than as a major plot point.

When I see a fic where a rape is treated completely seriously, and where it occurs for a damn good reason, rather than as a substitute for dead parents or getting tortured, I'll agree that the tag is necessary. Please keep in mind that that was not an invitation.

Ed: Oh, and Necro gets unmuted today, doesn't he?

Also, no responsibilities beyond editing a paper, so I'm staying up with a ponystream.  :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:32:25 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: November 18, 2011, 06:35:46 pm »

Horror as in horror. I don't know. Perhaps a "thriller" would be a closer term to what I'm thinking (remember, English as a second language here). We have tags covering most facets of emotion a story can elicit in response - happiness, sadness, repulsion and hate (in many many forms), and this one would concern fear, on either side of the fourth wall. I don't know if it's even possible to make the reader fear in sympathetic response to a written story...
That is exactly the problem. I don't think it's possible, really.
Also, there are many facets of fear and most of them have already been covered by our large collection of incredibly horrible tags. Although you can, of course, have fear without having any violence, gore or death. In fact, that's the best kind of horror. But that doesn't change the fact that the horror tag would be added to most of the stories so far where we have characters fearing for their lives.
I think I'll add it regardless, since horror without gore or death is most definitely possible.

Also, Flying Dice, you are a freaking ninja. Of course there are differences in horror. That's why we have lower- and upper-case, after all. If the characters are genuinely afraid, even if it is just a Scooby Doo sort of story, I would probably add the horror tag. Upper-case horror tag would be much more serious. Also, just because nothing physically bad happens to the main character(s) doesn't mean that it can't be incredibly fucking scary.
Now that I think about it, "horror" has too many connotations and different interpretations. "Fear" would probably be more fitting.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: November 18, 2011, 06:36:41 pm »

-snip-

What was that last part? Something about an invitation? Sounds like an interesting idea.

:P Seriously, though, rape is one thing that isn't really easy not to trivialize. It's one of those big, bad, scary things that's hard to talk about, so it's hard to also take it completely seriously.

One way to handle it in a way that would drive the story is as an analysis of the inherent disparity between a man who is raped and a woman who is raped. Have a man who is sexually exploited, then shunted from society for being a 'wuss' and ignored by police because there's obviously no way the accused woman could have possibly raped this big burly hunk of man. Show the psychological side as he is forced by society to accept that he isn't worth it to anyone. Maybe even throw in a female being raped as a foil, demonstrating the affection and protection she gets while the man gets nothing.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: November 18, 2011, 06:38:04 pm »

Also, there are many facets of fear and most of them have already been covered by our large collection of incredibly horrible tags. Although you can, of course, have fear without having any violence, gore or death. In fact, that's the best kind of horror. But that doesn't change the fact that the horror tag would be added to most of the stories so far where we have characters fearing for their lives.
I think I'll add it regardless, since horror without gore or death is most definitely possible.

Also, Flying Dice, you are a freaking ninja. Of course there are differences in horror. That's why we have lower- and upper-case, after all. If the characters are genuinely afraid, even if it is just a Scooby Doo sort of story, I would probably add the horror tag. Upper-case horror tag would be much more serious. Also, just because nothing physically bad happens to the main character(s) doesn't mean that it can't be incredibly fucking scary.
Now that I think about it, "horror" has too many connotations and different interpretations. "Fear" would probably be more fitting.

What, as in a creepy little girl appearing in random hallways, giving you hallucinations, and then raping you and getting pregnant?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Feel free to shoot me if my memory betrayed me.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: November 18, 2011, 06:42:01 pm »

What, as in a creepy little girl appearing in random hallways, giving you hallucinations, and then raping you and getting pregnant?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:43:44 pm by MC Dirty »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: November 18, 2011, 06:45:39 pm »

Avast! matey, your link be broken.

-snip-

What was that last part? Something about an invitation? Sounds like an interesting idea.

:P Seriously, though, rape is one thing that isn't really easy not to trivialize. It's one of those big, bad, scary things that's hard to talk about, so it's hard to also take it completely seriously.

One way to handle it in a way that would drive the story is as an analysis of the inherent disparity between a man who is raped and a woman who is raped. Have a man who is sexually exploited, then shunted from society for being a 'wuss' and ignored by police because there's obviously no way the accused woman could have possibly raped this big burly hunk of man. Show the psychological side as he is forced by society to accept that he isn't worth it to anyone. Maybe even throw in a female being raped as a foil, demonstrating the affection and protection she gets while the man gets nothing.

It is also really hard to intentionally kill another human being, and yet there seems to be an abundance of people who find it to be exceptionally easy.

3. Run Resize Enable

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: November 18, 2011, 06:47:14 pm »

Yeah, I fixed the link now.

Anyway, replaced "horror" with "fear" and the tag [f].
Now, it looks like this:
Code: [Select]
LIST OF TAGS

Uppercase means amplification of the tag. So, [O] would be having only original characters, [A] would be a story
heavily focused on a coherent plot, [G] would be Gorn (heavily focused on horrific depictions of injury for thrills) etc.

[v] - violence, some form of inter-character fighting.
[d] - death, or themes of death.
[g] - gore, graphic depictions of heavy injury.
[t] - torture, helpless characters being methodically broken by physical or mental means.
[c] - excessive cruelty; usually a compound tag, by itself may represent social cruelty such as bullying.
[n] - normal, everyday, slice-of-life proceedings.
[h] - humor, comedy.
[s] - sad, heavily emotional and moving events.
[f] - scary, horrifying and fear-inducing events
[r] - romance, interrelations, and shipping.
[a] - adventure, a coherent plot arc with a definite beginning and an end.
[o] - includes original characters.
[x] - includes sex between characters, or sexual themes.
[e] - includes sexually explicit descriptions. If you're wondering, yes, it's possible without an X tag.
[p] - includes rape, implied or explicit.
I kept the rape tag in for now. I know it's difficult to write a story where rape is an important plot element, but there is the possibility. There's a reason it's at the very bottom of the list.

Also, I just realized this thread is about a cute show with ponies, friendship and rainbows.
We're talking about rape. O_O
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:49:57 pm by MC Dirty »
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153