Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skyrim - Dwarven Armor Forging  (Read 27782 times)

Sebastian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Skyrim - Dwarven Armor Forging
« on: November 14, 2011, 05:58:22 pm »

Anyone else have the problem (?) of gaining the Dwarven Armor perk but not being able to actually forge Dwarven armor or weapons? I can improve them at the grindstone but there's no selection for Dwarven in the forge menu and nothing shown in any of the present lists. I am not too far into the game yet (I enjoying every possible side quest and meandering about) and am only a level 40 smithy.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Skyrim - Dwarven Armor Forging
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 06:00:18 pm »

You could of just asked this in the main thread you know.

Sure you took the perk? You can improve Dwemer items all you want without the perk, just it unlocks the final 3 upgrade levels. It's sounding like you just didn't actually select it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:13:49 pm »

You need to gather the scrap metals from dwarven ruins, then use a smelter to turn all of it into dwarven ingots to use in the crafting.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:15:15 pm »

You need to gather the scrap metals from dwarven ruins, then use a smelter to turn all of it into dwarven ingots to use in the crafting.

I learned the hard way, that not all scrap metal from the Dwemer Ruins are smeltable... I had to leave a ton of pelts in there as counterweight-loss  :'(
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 08:22:27 pm »

If you look in the smelting menu it shows in grey the dwarven scrap metal needed to smelt (they're multiple types). In regards to the OP's question, no. I have the perk and I have forged countless dwarven daggers to increase my smithing skill. :S

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:02:38 pm »

Kind of a waste... Iron daggers work better and are extremely cheap to get material for.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 09:54:00 pm »

I had no other use for them. It was weighing me down so I decided to get a profit from them.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 11:51:51 pm »

If only we could play actual dwarves.. *Sigh*

And I don't mean the underground elven dwarves that are dwarves in TES. >.>
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 12:10:56 am »

I was actually happy to learn that the Dwemer were techy elves rather than Dwarves way back in morrowind. Not to mention apparently rather tall.

They have cool swords though.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 12:55:45 am »

I've only ever managed to find two Dwemer ruins in Skyrim, one up north that's locked and needs a key (ignoring the storehouse nearby), and the one below Markarth. There are others, right? There can't be only two.

Also while I'm here, how the heck do you buy the house in Markarth? I talked with the Jarl, and he told me to do some quest involving killing some forsworn jerks, but when I got back, he doesn't have the option for the house or more quests.
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 01:05:55 am »

I've only ever managed to find two Dwemer ruins in Skyrim, one up north that's locked and needs a key (ignoring the storehouse nearby), and the one below Markarth. There are others, right? There can't be only two.

Also while I'm here, how the heck do you buy the house in Markarth? I talked with the Jarl, and he told me to do some quest involving killing some forsworn jerks, but when I got back, he doesn't have the option for the house or more quests.

Go to ricken(sp?) and talk to the helpful nord laby with the battle axe, she'll point you towards another one.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 05:58:38 am »

As you can see there are 5 dwemer ruins on there, I think the one closest to the cursor (not including the one under it) is connected with the one under the cursor, but I'm not entirely sure about the others. Good luck.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 11:10:38 am »

What is really needed is a mod that allows you to melt weapons back into ingots. You should at least be able to get some of the materials back (1/3? or maybe even 1/5, so a recipe would use 5 daggers for example). As you can melt dwemer scrap, there's no in-game justification as to why you can't do this.

Sure, you could spam melting and crafting forever to powerlevel, but it's not like you can't do that already with iron daggers and a bit of coin.

Besides turning stuff you don't need into useful stuff is just a fun game mechanic.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 03:19:59 pm »

What is really needed is a mod that allows you to melt weapons back into ingots. You should at least be able to get some of the materials back (1/3? or maybe even 1/5, so a recipe would use 5 daggers for example). As you can melt dwemer scrap, there's no in-game justification as to why you can't do this.

Sure, you could spam melting and crafting forever to powerlevel, but it's not like you can't do that already with iron daggers and a bit of coin.

Besides turning stuff you don't need into useful stuff is just a fun game mechanic.

I agree, this would be neat.  Although for balance issues it definitely would need to only get a small portion of the metal back, and need to use leather straps and stuff again. 

I also kinda wish disenchanting would allow us to fill a soul gem, rather than just destroy said object. 
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 03:30:31 pm »

I also kinda wish disenchanting would allow us to fill a soul gem, rather than just destroy said object.

Yea or remove the enchantment if you already know it, but preserve the item.

On topic though : i can forge dwemer stuff just fine.