Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: Circle of Magi I:T.R.o.M.;Chapter 3: Once a Saint ...  (Read 26352 times)

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Circle of Magi I: T.R.o.M.; Chapter 1, Part 2: The Academy
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2011, 04:56:47 am »

The weapon should be a staff and the spells should be summoning. Incidentally, it would help if we new what the mind and soul stats actually did and how to train them.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2011, 05:56:12 am »

The weapon should be a staff and the spells should be summoning. Incidentally, it would help if we new what the mind and soul stats actually did and how to train them.
Working on those now, but you can't train your Soul stats.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2011, 06:07:25 am »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2011, 09:04:08 am »

Weapon: Short sword. We'll be able to disguise ourselves easily enough if the need arises, without reducing our combat effectiveness.

Spells: Something balanced like this.
Aldrin's Lesser Healing
Borsha's Directed Shield
Cathy's Minor Anti-Magic Barrier
Derek's Reflex Assist
Summon Minor Elementaling

Artificer: "Pixie. They're physically unimpressive, so people will underestimate us. Some of them can learn to cast powerful spells, they can hide easily, are intelligent, and produce useful dust."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2011, 12:34:43 pm »

"I want a phoenix. They symbolize the cycle of rebirth, and their tears can cure most wounds and poisons."

I have a reflex assist 0.o
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2011, 04:39:15 pm »

"I want a phoenix. They symbolize the cycle of rebirth, and their tears can cure most wounds and poisons."

I have a reflex assist 0.o

I'll go with this as well.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2011, 09:29:13 pm »

Some questions:
If we had a staff or our weapon, are magic staffs common/inexpensive enough in the academy that we would have one?
Does mana arrow attack with kinetic force, damage to life energy, or something else? I ask because it can be important to know what happens if, for example, our magic arrow misses its target and hits the wall of a ship we are on.
Do multiple spellcasters drawing mana from the surroundings interfere with each other's efforts?

My votes for our extra spells:
- Lesser Healing
- Small Illusion (we already have Mana Wall for shielding)
- Disrupt Spell (Versatile and loads of fun. At least when you are the one using it.)
- Reflex Assist
- Summon Minor Elementaling
Soaplent green is goblins!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2011, 09:40:11 pm »

Some questions:
If we had a staff or our weapon, are magic staffs common/inexpensive enough in the academy that we would have one?
Does mana arrow attack with kinetic force, damage to life energy, or something else? I ask because it can be important to know what happens if, for example, our magic arrow misses its target and hits the wall of a ship we are on.
Do multiple spellcasters drawing mana from the surroundings interfere with each other's efforts?

1.) Magic Staffs work both as weapons, and as channeling aids, but you would not receive one until your apprenticeship.
2.) Mana Arrow will follow the target you wish it to in most cases, it attacks using kinetic force, and raw mana to both injure, and burn. You can combines multiple instances of Mana Arrow, such as launching fifty Mana Arrows at your opponent at once, but that is very straining on your energy.
3.) They will drain the Mana from the surrounding area faster, and they could end up accidentally draining each other if they aren't careful.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circle of Magi I: T.R.o.M.; Chapter 1, Part 2: The Academy
« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2011, 09:42:15 pm »

You give it some thought, and finally reply, or more precisely recite a line from 'Legendary Beasts, and Monsters', "I want a phoenix. They symbolize the cycle of rebirth, and their tears can cure most wounds and poisons." The twins look at you with wide eyes,, and Ulin replies "Phoenixes are very rare, and very powerful beings, to summon one of those you would have to be immensely powerful, and beyond anything any, but the Council could match. That is quite a goal you want to achieve." Then you hear Freya blurt out "Oh crap the Ritual has already started we got a hurry." With that you take off down the hallway at a run, though your getting dragged along more then moving on your own. You, and Ulin bump into a girl going in the same direction, and you holler over your shoulder an apology as you get dragged along.

By the time you arrive at the Ritual Courtyard only a handful of people remain for theirs. As you walk in you find it is Visera's turn, the one that is always wearing the hood even now. You watch as Visera says the incantation, and are knocked back against the wall by sudden explosion of power emanating from the Ritual Circle. Where once only Visera stood there was now another creature. It was a towering beast standing twice the size of the average man, with black skin, black horns, flame red eyes, a mane of hair that seemed to be made of fire, and even a pair of claws on its feet. Little of the skin of its arm could be seen as they were bound by chains, and even though they were connected to nothing they remained perfectly still.

Many of the students gathered gasped, or backed away from the beast as it took a step towards Visera, but it wasn't really a step. As you watched it knelled before the miniscule figure that was Visera, and the courtyard was filled with a deep, and gruff voice as it spoke "It is a pleasure to meet you my Master. How may I serve you?" Visera simply reached up, and patted the creature's head before turning, and walking out of the room. The creature followed him through the doorway, and the cheery atmosphere returned to the courtyard. Suddenly you hear the Headmaster's voice call out "Katrinja Erikson !! You are next please step forward."

As you walk out into the circle, and stand in the middle of it you feel all eyes on you, and you begin to feel extremely nervous. Despite the nervousness you begin to speak the incantation right away, and the words ring through your head until the end. "The Eight Gates that Hold this world together Open. Send forth that which will be my companion. Send forth the one that will match my strength, and the one that mirrors my soul." As you watch as the dust clears only to find a normal looking human standing in front of you. He stood the same height as you with jet black, spiky hair, and eyes of deepest red, everything about him seemed to point to him being human, but as you look you see a tail flickering back, and forth behind him.

He looks at you, and then starts laughing, its a cold laugh that make you feel slightly chilled from hearing it. When he finally comes to a stop he looks over at the Headmaster, and says "You know the agreement, and you can not break it no matter what happens." With that he turned back to you, and you were filled with the same fear you felt that day when you first met Newman, as that beast of darkness saw you, and that was the exact same feeling. "The only way I shall become your Artificer is if you can match me in a battle. I shall let you prepare whatever you wish, but once it starts be warned, if you do not give it your all I will kill you." You feel a shiver go down your spine, and back away. What where you to do? This was different from those times in the arena, this guy was out of your league, but if you didn't fight you would die.

Spoiler: Book of Truth (click to show/hide)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2011, 09:53:57 pm »

Spell questions:
Am I right in thinking that Mana Wall is a mana-shield type force field that surrounds you and makes damage go to mana instead of health?
With Conjure Light, can we focus in in a specific direction? (Not enough to deal damage obviously, but enough to impair vision?)

I would also like general descriptions of:
Druid's Guard
Song of Pain
Call of the Lost King

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2011, 10:01:06 pm »

Spell Questions:
1.) Correct it uses the users mana, and physical energy to take the damage in place of their physical damage they should have sustained.
2.) Nope all it does is summon a simply Will-O-Wisp which can only really give off light.

Druid's Guard - You use nature as your wall, basically you summon roots, and vines to become a physical wall to protect yourself with.

Song of Pain - This allows you to surpass the physical limitations of a human making you able to outmatch lesser demons, but once you cancel the spell, according to how long you used it, you will feel intense pain, the duration equal to your use.

Call of the Lost King - Allows you to summon a powerful demon known as the 'Lost King'. At your current level it would be dangerous to perform such a spell.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2011, 10:37:55 pm »

Can Druid's Guard be cast on someone to attempt to entangle them?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2011, 10:51:57 pm »

Can Druid's Guard be cast on someone to attempt to entangle them?
It cannot as the spell is meant to bring roots, and vines into a solid wall it cannot be used to wrap around someone. Though you could make a coffin out of it if you surround the person with the roots, and seal the top.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2011, 11:12:34 pm »

Well, okay.

> Ask HEADMASTER about FOE.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2011, 11:23:11 pm »

Could we grow a dome around someone and then have it grow inwards to further constrict or even crush them?

In any case, I think surrounding him with a vine wall sounds like a good opening move when the fight starts. He get out of it easily, of course, but it is still useful to know how he gets out of it, and that gives us a few moments to cast another spell while his vision is blocked.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18