Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Circle of Magi I:T.R.o.M.;Chapter 3: Once a Saint ...  (Read 26350 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: Circle of Magi I: T.R.o.M.; Chapter 1, Part 2: The Academy
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2011, 12:20:55 am »

He's more powerful than us... we'll just have to be smarter. Go with the wall, block him and find out what his strengths are. Use the window of time to get out of immediate LOS, and launch an attack spell trying to get a surprise in and weaken him.

most importantly, keep pressing him. Don't let him get up momentum, or an enemy like this will mop the floor with us. I want to try to combine the bases of two spells, such as fusing the Mana Wall (Physical Manifestation) with the Song of Pain (Power Through Sacrifice, attack focus) to create weapon constructs, and boost the power of them through the Song's energy boosting. Would this be possible?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 12:25:40 am by ragnarok97071 »
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2011, 01:14:54 am »

Say... If Mana Arrow homes on its target, how specifically can we aim it? Can we target specific body parts, such as targeting an enemy's hands to attempt to disrupt a spell or make them drop a weapon?
Soaplent green is goblins!

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2011, 01:27:31 am »

He said we had time to prepare, so we shouldn't be trying to trap him in case he interprets that as starting a battle.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2011, 01:40:06 am »

I want to try to combine the bases of two spells, such as fusing the Mana Wall (Physical Manifestation) with the Song of Pain (Power Through Sacrifice, attack focus) to create weapon constructs, and boost the power of them through the Song's energy boosting. Would this be possible?
Song of Pain will boost the strength of your Mana Wall, but that is it as all Song of Pain does is remove your body's physical limiters.

@ EveryZig - It simply locks onto their Mana, or Physical Energy, so specific targeting is impossible

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2011, 02:38:11 am »

Ok. I guess that makes sense, since a precision blast would be an extremely powerful spell, even if it had relatively little impact force.

What about inderect trajectories? Can we determine how they arc so we can do things like curving the paths of several Mana Arrows to attack from multiple directions at the same time?
Like so:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Am I right in thinking that casting past your normal limits using Song of Pain will still injure you the same amount as normal over-casting, but the injury will be delayed until the Song ends?
Soaplent green is goblins!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2011, 02:39:59 am »

All three of those questions are a yes. Also writing up a mini-update for your chat with the Headmaster

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2011, 02:48:09 am »

"Headmaster what exactly is he, and why does he want to fight me?" You ask as you go about preparing for the fight. The headmaster looks at you with a gloom expression, and replies "His name is Alexander, and he is a Demon. He challenges you, because he believes anyone that can not hold their ground in a fight against him is unworthy of being his Magi. There is nothing I can do to help you, for I have made a deal with him. In exchange for his help in our war, I agreed that if he became one of my students Artificer he could fight them with no restrictions. I am truly sorry, but there is nothing I can do, it is all up to you. All I can say is that he is far stronger than he looks, it may not seem it, but he is currently suppressing his aura." with that the Headmaster takes a seat with his staff held in both hands.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2011, 03:09:31 am »

"How is defeat defined? Exhausting his power?"

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2011, 03:35:27 am »

"He will either kill you, or he will stop fighting, because you jave proven something to him. Your chances of winning are very slim." The Headmaster replies

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2011, 03:55:37 am »

I think we don't have any choice except to use Song of Pain. Can we heal and regain mana normally under its effects? Will Call of the Lost King actually kill us if we wait until we heal completely before dropping Song of Pain? If so, then I think we have a plan.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2011, 03:59:46 am »

Your mana's regen will increase by about eight times under the Song of Pain's effects, but that is still a minuscule amount. And Call of the Lost King won't kill you just seriously injure (Makes me think of that scene in Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows Pt. 1, where Dobby attacks that person)

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2011, 05:52:52 am »

I suppose he won't stop attacking until we prove to be capable fighters. Will drawing him away from the nexus at the academy cause him to dissipate?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2011, 05:54:05 am »

I suppose he won't stop attacking until we prove to be capable fighters. Will drawing him away from the nexus at the academy cause him to dissipate?
Nope he could outlast it with his High Mana reserves even without a contract formed.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2011, 06:01:31 am »

The wall of plants seems like a good idea. It should tell us something about his powers and vulnerabilities.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circle of Magi I: T.R.o.M.; Chapter 1, Part 2.5: Life, or Death ...
« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2011, 06:11:05 am »

Chapter 1, Part 2.5: Life, or Death ...

You turn back to Alexander, and begin making a series of complex symbols in thin air, where your fingers travel a trail of black sparks stay behind, and soon a wall of black runes, and symbols lay before you. You draw your sword, and quickly punch the central symbol in front of you, it shatters, and the rest of them suddenly latch on, and blend into your skin. You feel a burst of energy, and your senses get sharper as you, as you look to see if Alexander had made a move you find him still staring at you as if waiting for something.  Seeing this you begin using both hands to form the symbols for separate spells, and within moments you have both finished. You slap your palm against the ground, and roots suddenly burst forth from the earth, and form a dome around Alexander.

The next you sling your arm through the other set, and you feel a slight pressure cover you, the familiar pressure of your Mana becoming a shield. With that done you begin to craft the symbols for a massive barrage of Mana Arrows in the air, but you suddenly feel a pressure on your chest. Next thing you know you hear three sharp cracks, and you are thrown across the courtyard straight into the stone wall. As you hit it you hear several cracks come from your left arm, but the pain never comes, you simply stand back up, and begin drawing symbols once again. This time you run around the courtyard, and those seated near you jump back against the wall, or flee from the scene. Within moments the center area is surrounded with over a hundred mana arrow glyphs. You snap your fingers, and feel the familiar tug at your strength as it is pulled away from you, and the arrows are formed. In the air lie near a hundred glowing blue orbs, and in the center, where they all point, Alexander is standing still watching you with emotionless eyes.

In the next moment the arrows fly at Alexander, and you hear the impact as the area is filled with dust. In the next moment you feel a pressure on your right arm, and once again the sickening sounds of your bones cracking echoes through the courtyard. Then suddenly you feel a sharp pressure in your side, and you are sent flying into a nearby pillar. It cracks under your weight, and the sound of more of your ribs breaking mixes with it. The air is filled with dust, and flecks of stone as you stand back up once again, but this time you feel something warm flooding out of your mouth, and when you touch it with your hand you find blood.

You quickly draw symbols in the air, and slam you hand against the ground. Around you rows of roots rise up to form a solid dome around you, and as it seals tight you slump against the half broken pillar. While you felt no pain your vision was still fading slowly, and you found it hard to breath, move, or stand. 'What can I do? What choices do I have left?' You ask your self as you hear the sound of battering coming from outside the dome.

Spoiler: Book of Truth (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:15:19 am by adwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18