Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: Circle of Magi I:T.R.o.M.;Chapter 3: Once a Saint ...  (Read 26353 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circle of Magi I: T.R.o.M.; Chapter 2: The Exams
« Reply #210 on: January 04, 2012, 11:56:57 pm »

Chapter 2: Dakgon's Summoning Manual

You crawl out of bed, and you feel the connection between you, and Alexander become little more then a thread connecting you as Artificer, and Master. As you start to feel sad Pochi chirps, and nibbles on your ear, you laugh as you tap him to stop the nibbling, and crawl out of the bed. You spend several minutes getting dressed, and walk out of the room heading towards the Great Library in search of knowledge about summoning rituals. As you walk in one of the librarians gives you a slight nod, and one of the many worker trolls stomps by you carrying a towering pile of books.

You bob, and weave through the towering masses of piled books, and sturdy wooden shelves crammed to the brim with different books of all kind. as you come to the section on summoning you instantly find the book where you found the ritual for the Lost King hanging on barely to the shelf. It falls off, and you barely manage to catch it before it slams against the floor. With it in hand you walk over into a small alcove off to the side that is mostly concealed behind a wall of books, you quickly sit down, and begin delving into the book.

What books was it you wanted again ?

Spoiler: Book of Truth (click to show/hide)

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Circle of Magi I: T.R.o.M.; Chapter 2: The Exams
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2012, 12:19:08 am »

> Find a book on the gods, especially The Exiled God.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 07, 2012, 12:45:07 am »

Maybe something about auras and the tracking/concealment thereof? I am still concerned about how someone can target and attack us though a wall.
Soaplent green is goblins!

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2012, 01:01:30 am »

Maybe something about auras and the tracking/concealment thereof? I am still concerned about how someone can target and attack us though a wall.
We should find the range limits on this as well. I don't want someone killing us from the other side of the planet.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 07, 2012, 12:41:31 pm »

We should find the range limits on this as well. I don't want someone killing us from the other side of the planet.
That is impossible ... not even a God could attack your from the other side of the planet

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2012, 02:54:07 pm »

It doesn't need to be a very long range if they can attack us while we cannot attack or detect them. From what we have seen from the telekinesis attack, a careful enemy could theoretically use it for deadly attacks from a nearby cellar that are entirely untraceable with our current abilities. Even if we can't directly counter it, at the very least we need a way to locate the caster in order to not be helpless against such an opponent.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2012, 02:59:13 pm »

I agree with looking up aura tracking/concealment, although we'll likely need to dedicate training time for that. We should also look up any potential long-term negative effects of overusing Song of Pain.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2012, 03:04:23 pm »

Okay I'll go ahead, and tell you that all of the attacks Alexander used where physical, and he was attacking you directly every time. I figured you would have got that when he burst through the wall, and punched Lost King's sword.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2012, 07:28:31 pm »

Okay I'll go ahead, and tell you that all of the attacks Alexander used where physical, and he was attacking you directly every time.
So, did he teleport or did he just break the vine wall too quietly for us to notice? I never expected the vine wall to hold him for more than a few moments, but I did expect to hear him ripping it open.

I guess super speed being common is slightly less bad than super telekinesis being common, but it provides its own problems for our ambitions of not being splattered.
Is there a spell that changes your perception of time (not necessarily your attack/casting speed) that we can use to be able to tell what is snapping our ribs apart the next time?

[[For writing input, when someone is attacking too fast for us to see, maybe it would be more clear if you mention a flicker of motion or the attacker appearing/disappearing as they move in/out of super speed? When a person's behavior or position is not mentioned, readers tend to assume they are still doing what they were doing the last time they were mentioned (being perfectly visible and standing there looking at us in this case).]]

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 07, 2012, 07:35:52 pm »

Okay I'll go ahead, and tell you that all of the attacks Alexander used where physical, and he was attacking you directly every time.
So, did he teleport or did he just break the vine wall too quietly for us to notice? I never expected the vine wall to hold him for more than a few moments, but I did expect to hear him ripping it open.

I guess super speed being common is slightly less bad than super telekinesis being common, but it provides its own problems for our ambitions of not being splattered.
Is there a spell that changes your perception of time (not necessarily your attack/casting speed) that we can use to be able to tell what is snapping our ribs apart the next time?

[[For writing input, when someone is attacking too fast for us to see, maybe it would be more clear if you mention a flicker of motion or the attacker appearing/disappearing as they move in/out of super speed? When a person's behavior or position is not mentioned, readers tend to assume they are still doing what they were doing the last time they were mentioned (being perfectly visible and standing there looking at us in this case).]]
1.) He did break the wall if you go back, and check it says "Suddenly you feel a blast of air that pushes you back, and a ear-shattering crack as the root wall is blown to pieces."

2.) Super Speed is very rare only a few people can do such a thing. The shadow can do it, because it is a being that should not exist to begin with, and Alexander ... well thats a secret :)

3.) He was moving to fast for your eyes to follow, so you couldn't even detect a flicker, and towards the end your vision was blurred, meaning detecting a flicker would be hard.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2012, 08:28:17 pm »

1.) He did break the wall if you go back, and check it says "Suddenly you feel a blast of air that pushes you back, and a ear-shattering crack as the root wall is blown to pieces."
The time I was looking to for reference was at the very start of the fight, which is where I got the impression he was using force magic:

You slap your palm against the ground, and roots suddenly burst forth from the earth, and form a dome around Alexander.

The next you sling your arm through the other set, and you feel a slight pressure cover you, the familiar pressure of your Mana becoming a shield. With that done you begin to craft the symbols for a massive barrage of Mana Arrows in the air, but you suddenly feel a pressure on your chest. Next thing you know you hear three sharp cracks, and you are thrown across the courtyard straight into the stone wall.

3.) He was moving to fast for your eyes to follow, so you couldn't even detect a flicker, and towards the end your vision was blurred, meaning detecting a flicker would be hard.
Wouldn't we still see him be suddenly gone from where he was for a moment before he reaches us?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 07, 2012, 08:36:06 pm »

Oh that yeah he tore it open silently that time. He was testing if you would be able to sense him.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 07, 2012, 09:01:00 pm »

Ok. I guess that is something we will need to watch out for next time.

Aura detecting is still useful to get though. Being able to tell a caster from a random person (before they start shooting things at your back) can be quite useful, and even if someone is hiding their aura, the fact that they are doing so means they have some kind of power.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:02:42 pm by EveryZig »

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2012, 11:30:04 pm »

What happened to this?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 24, 2012, 03:17:41 pm »

I have very limited internet access at the moment :(, so updates for this are basically impossible at the moment. I should have more access in a two to three weeks, so until then its on hiatus.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18