Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Faster way to trade items in bins without also trading the bins?  (Read 708 times)

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Faster way to trade items in bins without also trading the bins?
« on: December 21, 2011, 07:03:16 pm »

Is there a way to trade items in bins without trading the bins other than toggling each item manually? Having a few hundred crafts or pieces of goblin clothing is almost not worth the effort to trade, as it is such a pita to do without losing my bins. I like my bins, you can't ever have enough of them.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Faster way to trade items in bins without also trading the bins?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 07:19:32 pm »

No.

OR.

Not yet. There some murmurs of trade screen improments for fort mode for the next release.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 08:17:09 pm »

I just write a "SelectAll" macro (using DF's internal macro system) so I can press one key and select an entire page of items.  If you do this on a list of items in bins, it ends up selecting all of the items *inside* the bins but not the bins themselves, which is exactly what I want.  Works well enough to keep things moving until Toady re-works the trading screen.

The macro I use is equivalent to pressing "t" for trade and then "down arrow" repeatedly for one screen's worth of items.  I also reduce the delay between macro commands in the init.txt to make this (and other macros) play back *way* faster than the default.

--nomad_delta

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:39:17 pm »

Also just a tip for speeding up macros. If you open the data/init/macros/(macro file name).mak in a text editor you will notice that each of the commands that you give has more then one entry under it. Down arrow for example has about 5 commands listed, where as some of the letters can have as many as 30-40 commands listed. If you delete all of the commands except for those that you intend to use the macro for (in this case "select" and "down menu move") then the macro will run several times faster then it did before.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ripolix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 10:55:48 pm »

Sorry i don't mean to hijack this thread but can someone explain to me how to trade only the items that are IN the bin?

I just managed to put off the elven caravan by offering my barrel full of plump helmets.

Thanks in advance

edit: barrels ain't no bins yo
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:38:40 pm by Ripolix »

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 11:31:37 pm »

Sorry i don't mean to hijack this thread but can someone explain to me how to trade only the items that are IN the bin?

I just managed to put off the elven caravan by offering my bin full of plump helmets.

Thanks in advance

That's likely to be a pot or barrel of plump helmets, not a bin. If you can't see an item seperate from its container in the trade screen, then you can't trade it seperately. May I recommend rock pots?

Ripolix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:40:17 pm »

What is the requierement to trade it separately then?

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 01:19:48 am »

Well, I suppose you could set your food stockpile to not accept containers. You could then move the individual plump helmets to the trade depot, and trade them individually as well. This works best with prepared roasts, both spacewise and profitwise.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 05:35:11 am »

I haven't checked out how to use macros yet. I guess I'll have to do that now. Thank you for the information.

Inkster

• Bay Watcher
  • Lost in time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 05:14:04 pm »

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought you could select the bin then select an item inside it, it would select the rest of the items and deselect the bin and the single item. You could then reselect the one item.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 05:22:58 pm »

It happens more like this:

1. Hit T on a *bin* and it selects the bin *and* all of it's contents for trading.
2. Hit T on any item *inside* that bin and it *deselects* the bin and selects that one item instead.
   a. Continue hitting T on the remaining items in side the bin as you please.

This is why my macro to just hit T + downarrow repeatedly works to select everything *except* the bins.  It just hits T on everything, but as soon as it gets to the next line the bin itself is de-selected and just the items inside get traded.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 12:29:34 pm »

Except with normal keybindings you would want to use "enter" and not "t", since if you used t then it would be attempting to trade away your goods one craft at a time rather then selecting everything for you to give to the traders in a single (t)rade.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 01:55:37 pm »

Except with normal keybindings you would want to use "enter" and not "t", since if you used t then it would be attempting to trade away your goods one craft at a time rather then selecting everything for you to give to the traders in a single (t)rade.

oh man, you're right -- good catch! I totally use the normal keybindings, too, just spaced on which key does which.  I think the "T" marker that appears next to each item was confusing my recollection.  So yeah, "ENTER + down-arrow / repeat" is correct.

It will be rad when the trade screen gets overhauled though.  I always do stupid frustrating things on the trade screen, like I'll be viewing the contents of some container or details of a particular item, and then I'll press ESCAPE to get out of that screen, but frequently I'll hit escape one too many times and it'll cancel me out of trading altogether and I'll lose all my trade designations and have to start from scratch.  Sooooo frustrating!

--nomad_delta