Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Lets Play Critical Mass Again: Mission 7 complete (More pilots always wanted)...  (Read 5328 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Critical Mass: Mission 1 Update! (More pilots always needed)...
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 06:42:02 pm »

You sure a drone or one of its variants wouldnt be more up your street? They are expendible cheap after all!
This is a blank sig.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 07:04:46 pm »

You're the boss (and know the game). I'm happy as long as my ship breaks like glass.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 02:48:59 am »

Watch him rack up the Squadron's best kill count.  :P

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 06:26:16 am »

Can I have an extremely durable ship, please?
They started to collide~

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 06:30:20 am »

Sure, but wheres the fun in that? :P
This is a blank sig.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Critical Mass: Mission 2 Complete. (More pilots always needed)...
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 02:19:14 pm »

Mission 2 - Worryingly Efficient

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Destroy an enemy coloniser. These are high value assets and as such tend to be well protected...

I take a Falcon gunship to replace my destroyed bomber. Inteuniso keeps his stealth bomber. Bulldog is promoted to Sgt. and will be flying the very useful super watcher - a well armed stealth scoutcraft which could give us the edge on the enemy.

We drop out of hperspce into an unremarkable sector. A small cluster of asteroids in the dead centre of the volume looks like the sort of place I would hide if piloting an unarmed, large, cumbersome and slow ship, so I order the squadron to fan out into a search formation while heading in that general direction. However, we didnt find the target that easily.

CONTACT.

Instead I spot an enemy bomber, appearing to have some difficulty navigating around the rocks. Squadron is ordered to break the search pattern and attack at will. The coloniser cant be far behind this bomber.

I line up an exchnge with the bomber, as Inteuniso races to the scene and detects an enemy long range bombardment ship. Bulldog is literally miles away after searching a distant asteroid cluster but is making full speed to the engagement. I decide there no type of kill like overkill, so 4 heavy missiles are fired at that bomber from point blank range...

and they all miss as the bomber swerves past me. I resolve to turn and chase it, which works very well. I dont think the stupid alien can see me, sitting right behind him, and 4 missiles rip him several new holes. Unsuprisingly he dies. The search for the now hiding enemy craft resumes.

Ah, there they are. The enemy LR craft misses me but is right on my tail. I could really use some covering fire here guys...

I tail the scout, lining up a firing opportunity. Inteuniso lands a hit on the enemy LR ship. Bulldog is charging straight at the enemy scout, ready to finish it off should my shots not quite manage it...

My 3 missiles blow up the enemy scout, but the pilot manages to eject. The enemy LR ship lands one on Inteuniso, but now we outnumber it 3 to one...

Target priority changed. In turning to target the LR craft, we stumble upon the coloniser. Kill it. Kill it now. My first 4 heavy warheads miss badly as the target shows suprising agility, but probably not enough to save it in the long run.

We converge on the coloniser from all sides. It manages to collide with the LR ship that has been pestering us. Its head on to me, but I am confident I can survive at least one missile hit while emptying all my tubes at our target. For truly alien reasons, one of the enemy pilots is charging to the scene of the fight, but in reverse at sveral thousand metres per second. Whilst admittedly this looks cool, it doest appear to be actually achieving anything.

One of my missiles hits the coloniser, massivley damaging it. Its now a sitting duck for us to finish off. This might happen in short order as one of my missiles is on its way still... the other 2 slam into the LR craft - how it survives I do not know, and the flames engulfing it as its systems rip themselves apart seem to be the only thing holding it together. It to is a sitting duck we can finish off soon. The coloniser erupts in a burst of superheated plasma from my last missile. The command crew eject, but the destruction of such an expensive bit of kit is far more valuable to us than ending thier lives. Bulldog had launched a missile at where he thought the coloniser ws going to be, but this passes unhindered through the wreckage and hits Inteuniso, dropping his front shields. I collide with the burning hulk of the enemy LR craft and position myself to put the sorry pilot out of his misery.

The lucky pilot ejects as his ship is destroyed, but his problems arent over yet - 3 of my missiles are heading for his escape pod. The lone enemy ship visible to us (the stunt pilot) has come to a crash stop and is firing up his hyperspace engines to try and escape.

The pod is hit by one of my missiles and dies in a burst of burning gases. It is hard to feel sorry for the pilot seeing as moments ago he was trying so very hard to kill us. One more ship to deal with. RUN IT DOWN LIKE THE DOG IT IS!

4 long range missiles will chase him until they hit or he somehow gets out of the sector.

They hit, and the ship and its pilot is toast.

That should be all of them taken care of. Mission Over.

Debrief.

Well, that went well. The high level sensors on Bulldog's ship allowed us to spot and shoot the enemy befre they could see us, even if I was the only one in the firing line for this short and intense action. I land five (5!) kills, and get the highest honour command offers - the gold cross. This should unlock some more funds and some more dangerous assignments in the future. Nobody dies, mainly as I had killed all the baddies before you showed up.

Pilot Roster, Ship Preference and Combat Records

On Duty
  • Lt. Monkeyhead - Fighter/Bomber (2 mission, 6 kills, 1 ship lost, 1 Gold Cross)
  • 2nd Lt Inteuniso - Fighter/Bomber (2 missions)
  • Sgt Bulldog - Scout (1 mission)

At Base:
  • Pvt Hanzoku - High Speed Attack Craft
  • Pvt Jopax - Firepower
  • Pvt Warhammer Jr - Heavy Weapons
  • Pvt Cyrus - High Speed
  • Pvt Dsarker - Dakka
  • Pvt Delta Foxtrot - Scout/Drone
  • Pvt Hexedmagica - Shields
  • Pvt Elfeater - Fighter
  • Awaiting Further Recruits

The Glorious Dead

• Sgt Warhammer - Killed by an enemy Drone during Mission 1: Attack Hospitals (1 mission)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:16:37 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Critical Mass Again: Mission 2 Complete. (More pilots wanted)...
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 02:30:10 pm »

Great work, that's some nice flying!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 03:21:12 pm »

The enemy AI made that very easy though. They didnt really do much other than isolate themselves, allowing me to pick them off. Dissapoitingly I didnt get a promotion, as that would unlock higher tier missions and ships. As it is we should be able to afford a fourth ship in mission 3, which will be played and uploaded tomorrow.
This is a blank sig.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 09:40:24 am »

good job!
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 10:07:29 am »

You should do firefight next... Another great game by the same person, or Mother of all battles. And I'll take a fighter.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Critical Mass Again: Mission 3 - Failure! (More pilots wanted)...
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »

Mission 3 - Not so good at all...

This should be a cake walk. Fast ships for a quick "in, hit and out" action. I opt to pilot a Wasp light interceptor. 2nd Lt. Inteuniso gets a Lynx light stealth multirole gunship. Sgt Bulldog keeps his high tech scout craft, which didnt need much reloading after last mission ;). Fleshing out our numbers are Pvt's Hanzoku and Jopax, both in Super Drones, a ship with well balanced attributes and low cost. Should they perform well one or both might be assigned an upgraded ship, if we can aquitre more funds through more kills.

Seeing as command wished this to be an ambush, I order the squadron to take up position just inside an asteroid cluster, in a tight formation. We should make a nice suprise for any enemy patrols that encounter us. We take up position and wait...

2nd Lt. Inteuniso is the first to spot our quarry - an enemy drone. Break formation and attack - before more serious threats arrive.

I dont fancy its chances much, do you?

Disaster. Sgt. Bulldog is Wiped out by a single heavy missile from the drone - he never even saw it coming. This will hurt us as he was the eyes and ears of the squadron. I try and enact some vengance with a few pot shots at his killer...

but manage to miss, and those 2 missiles could pick up on either of our new recruits... no time to worry about that, I have another shot on the drone.

My shot hits, destroying the drone. Satisfying. Also, thankfully my missiles miss both our drones, who are circling back to find targets of thier own. I have a shot at a recently arrived enemy stealth bomber. So would Inteuniso, but I am very much in his way.

My first 2 shots miss, so I turn to chase it - if I loose it, I might not find it again.

The inevitable happens. The stealth bomber vanishes from our sensors. Worryingly, another stealthed craft can see us, and is taking a number of pot shots at Jopax.

One of those pot shots hits me full in the face, dropping my front shields by 33%. The enemy stealth bomber emerges from the sensor noise, and we might have a few shots on him...

Hanzoku launches 2 warheads at the bomber just as it drops off our sensors. I take a hit from the mystery ship. This isnt good - I lose all drive, but I can still manouver. I also lose one missile tube. The mystery ship turns out to be an enemy scout, and Jopax chases it for a few seconds, before it too vanishes. If only Bulldog hadnt got himself wasted. We take this opportunity to regroup into a more solid formation. But before we can do so properly...

we stumble onto either enemy reinforcements, or the rest of thier squadron - though the only ships we can see that we have not encountered yet is another drone, perfectly in range for me to have a pop at...

My missiles impact on the drones front shileds and they are dropped. Now the tricky bit, getting past it without getting hit in my badly damaged port side. The unseen bomber is lurking off our flank, giving us all a hard time, particularly Inteuniso who has to swerve to avoid a constant barrage of badly aimed shots. Speaking of badly aimed shots, our brave 2nd Lt. shoots at the enemy drone, misses, and looks to be killing one of our own...

But with ninja like dexterity, Jopax calmly swerves between the two missiles as they overtake him. Balls of steel. Things dont go well for our 2nd Lt. though - he takes a number of hits from the very annoying stealth craft, and elects to eject as his badly damaged craft passess into range of the 2 enemy ships we can see. I am scrubbing speed and turing to face them, hopefully I will be making a pass on them after our 2 Pvts have softened them up - Jopax makes a good start on this by landing a hit on the enemy scout.

Then things get nervy. Some poor piloting on my behalf means a nudge Jopax while turning. This brings me to a dead stop, and I lack the thrust to get going again due to prior damage. This actually helps Jopax turn to target a scout, which he has a good chance of finishing off. Hanzoku could be in trouble though...

The enemy drone doesnt react fast enough to get Hanzoku, and he survivs the danger. Jopax wipes out the enemy scout with a well timed shot, but then finds himself in danger from the drone sweeping across us. I try and give the enemy something to think about by firing some missiles of my own - in hope of keeping him off Jopax more than anything.

Jopax again oes some legenday dodging and avoids the shots from the drone. My 2 missiles probably help here as it has to deviate its course to avoid them both. SPeaking of serious problems, Hanzoku is getting shot up by what I suspect is the bomber (losing all drive engines), and I get hit by 2 missies from a scout, that promptly dissapears. My ship loses all sensors, and I am in a bad way - I will have to eject at the next hint of a threat if I wish to avoid death. I now await the next action as our 2 Pvts circle my immobile ship, chasing the damaged enemy drone.

Then I have to eject. The enemy bomber that has been a thorn in our side all mission is coming straight at me. I have nothing left to do other than eject, so I do so. The bomber vapourises my ship, but I escape the sector. The same fate awaits Hanzoku and Jopax - after getting hit they to elect to eject, happy to escape with thier lives.

Debrief

Mission failed. We were seriously outnumbered and outgunned. The enemy relied heavily on stealth craft, and the loss of our scout proved pivotal - we cant shoot at what we cant see. We lose all our ships. Bulldog is wasted, promoting Hanzoku to Sgt. Jopax appears to have some mighty dodging skills. It is a miracle 4 of us get back to HQ. I bag an enemy drone, and Jopax bags an enemy scout. Heres hoping for a more straightforward mission in the future.

Pilot Roster, Ship Preference and Combat Records

On Duty
  • Lt. Monkeyhead - Fighter/Bomber (3 mission, 7 kills, 2 ship lost, 1 Gold Cross)
  • 2nd Lt Inteuniso - Fighter/Bomber (3 missions)
  • Sgt Hanzoku - High Speed Attack Craft (1 mission)
  • Pvt Jopax - Low Speed/Firepower (1 mission, 1 kill)

At Base:
  • Pvt Warhammer Jr - Heavy Weapons
  • Pvt Cyrus - High Speed
  • Pvt Dsarker - Dakka
  • Pvt Delta Foxtrot - Scout/Drone
  • Pvt Hexedmagica - Shields
  • Pvt Elfeater - Fighter
  • Pvt PhantomSpaceMan - Scout/LR
  • Pvt Bulldog (Clone) - Scout
  • Pvt Mormota - Fastness
  • Awaiting Further Recruits

The Glorious Dead

• Sgt Warhammer - Killed by an enemy Drone during Mission 1: Attack Hospitals (1 mission)
  • Sgt Bulldog - Killed by an enemy Drone during Mission 3: Ambush (2 missions)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:31:20 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

PhantomSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Critical Mass Again: Mission 3 Update. (More pilots wanted)...
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 05:29:00 pm »

I'll sign up and take a scout, if we have a scout by the time I'm recruited then I'll take whatever ship has the longest range and most firepower.

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 05:31:25 pm »

Darn.

Can I have a clone?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 05:52:34 pm »

Bulldog, of course you can. PhantomSpaceMan, the more scouts the merrier! :)
This is a blank sig.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 06:44:12 pm »

Yikes, that didn't go so well.

Is anyone else reminded of X-COM? High potential for casualties, emphasis on maneuvers and positioning, random missions.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6