Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720555 times)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1320 on: January 28, 2012, 05:46:22 pm »

Even though he was probably one of the first people responsible for 1 million deaths, I think that its a bit harsh to compare Genghis to newt.

Genghis got shit done.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: January 28, 2012, 07:05:59 pm »

Hearing that Obama bypassed Congress to approve the ACTA just makes me.....so fucking mad. The same president who sat there and acted like he couldn't do shit during the debt crisis but sit on his hands....decides to act unilaterally over this?

I'm seriously considering not voting in this election now. SOPA, PIPA and now ACTA (not to mention NDAA), every chance Obama has had to show he stands with the rights of the common person over the power of business and government, he's chosen to side with more powerful interests.

I really cannot conscious casting my vote for a president who is that deep into the pocket of business, or has so little respect for the magnitude of changes they're trying to foist on people. This is equally as bad as what Bush did all throughout his presidency. I've been on the fence for a long time about Obama, questioning whether I can continue to vote for him despite him doing things I find absolutely appalling. The threat of a Republican president is scary, but right now, Obama is actually doing things that scare me, rather than candidates who scare me with the things that they might do. So while I've been planning to vote for Obama along purely party lines....I think ACTA finally tears it. He wants to bypass Congress' ability to disagree with ACTA completely, and there are FAR MORE IMPORTANT THINGS HE SHOULD DONE THAT ON ALREADY.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:08:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: January 28, 2012, 07:09:06 pm »

Obama has done some decent things on the cultural front, but on absolutely everything else he has said one thing in public, while doing the exact opposite behind closed doors.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: January 28, 2012, 07:11:40 pm »

This may be a freakishly stupid question, but is there any sort of 3rd or even 4th party option in the US?  Nothing like a good protest vote that nets some semi nutters 10% of the vote to shake some trees in the major parties.  Not voting seems like a silly way to get your voice heard.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: January 28, 2012, 07:13:21 pm »

Well afaik there was Huntsman as a moderate (that sort of counts as 3rd party right?), but he dropped out  awhile ago.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:15:01 pm by Darvi »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1325 on: January 28, 2012, 07:17:03 pm »

In theory there's a third party option in the U.S.

In practice, it's essentially political suicide.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: January 28, 2012, 07:18:03 pm »

We really need to abolish the electoral college. Like in the sense of right now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: January 28, 2012, 07:20:54 pm »

This may be a freakishly stupid question, but is there any sort of 3rd or even 4th party option in the US?  Nothing like a good protest vote that nets some semi nutters 10% of the vote to shake some trees in the major parties.  Not voting seems like a silly way to get your voice heard.

As others have noted, in the US voting third party is called "throwing your vote away" by either of the two party faithfuls. That's how it's seen politically, the only real danger to the establishment by the 3rd party is that it narrows the margin of victory for the two dominant parties. In other words, it makes for fine political theater without actually changing the outcome. The "message" of voting 3rd party gets heard only as long as it takes to declare victory.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1328 on: January 28, 2012, 07:28:34 pm »

We really need to abolish the electoral college. Like in the sense of right now.

There is a movement to bypass the electoral college. They need enough states to sign on to get the majority of the electoral votes to activate it.

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: January 28, 2012, 07:36:34 pm »

As others have noted, in the US voting third party is called "throwing your vote away" by either of the two party faithfuls. That's how it's seen politically, the only real danger to the establishment by the 3rd party is that it narrows the margin of victory for the two dominant parties. In other words, it makes for fine political theater without actually changing the outcome. The "message" of voting 3rd party gets heard only as long as it takes to declare victory.

I..... Ohh.... But..... Not at all???... 2 party system?.... I...

Im walking away from this thread before my neighbors call the cops about the swearing.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1330 on: January 28, 2012, 07:38:37 pm »

Two parties is what happens when you have a FPTP system in every single fucking level of government.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: January 28, 2012, 07:45:54 pm »

And don't forget that the Commission on Presidential Debates, which controls every aspect of the major televised debates that is the strongest influence on the majority of voting Americans outside of party loyalty, is jointly owned and operated by the committees of both major parties.  A large portion of Americans still believe they live in the freest country in the world, too.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: January 28, 2012, 07:54:04 pm »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: January 28, 2012, 07:57:36 pm »

One feels quite sorry for the horse that would have to bear that man.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1334 on: January 28, 2012, 07:59:51 pm »

Newt Gingrich will have similar vestments custom-made for himself so that he can wear them as he sits atop his throne in his brand new moon base.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 714