Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721054 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1560 on: February 05, 2012, 03:05:52 am »

If people like you boycott it then the idiots will just keep electing idiots.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #1561 on: February 05, 2012, 03:07:38 am »

Yeah, as I argued earlier in the thread, opting out of a system and waiting for it to change is just inviting things to get worse.  Imagine if everyone who was dissatisfied simply waited for things to change rather than taking action?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: February 05, 2012, 03:10:23 am »

After Bush and looking at this latest batch of Republicans, I think I'm just not going to vote ever again if it keeps up like this. Just going to boycott democracy untill somebody competant has a chance of winning.

I don't even think it's a lack of competency; generally speaking, they know what they're doing. The saddest thing to realize here is that the current batch of Republican candidates does, at least to some significant degree, represent their party and those who belong to it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: February 05, 2012, 07:03:54 am »

Yeah, as I argued earlier in the thread, opting out of a system and waiting for it to change is just inviting things to get worse.  Imagine if everyone who was dissatisfied simply waited for things to change rather than taking action?

Agree. It's usually the conscientious and intelligent individuals who decide to ops out after being frustrated with the lack of intelligence that gets elected.
Then the idiots still vote because they want a lower tax on beer or whatever, some reactionary issue. Then it gets worse when some right wing idiot gets elected because all the real people were disillusioned from voting.

Not voting is never the answer, it only makes it worse.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: February 05, 2012, 10:37:47 am »

Nevada primer.
The Republican nominating train is in new terrain: the West. Saturday’s caucus in Nevada will unfold against mountains and deserts, a far different backdrop from the first four states.

But do not be fooled by the scenery. Where elections are concerned, Nevada is an urbanized state. Most Nevadans live in cities, and that holds true for Republicans and for Republican caucusgoers. In the state’s 2008 Republican caucus, exit polls found just over half of voters were from urban communities, and another quarter was from the suburbs.
The dire economy may help explain the fractured support of Nevada’s Tea Party, which has been one of the more active Tea Party groups in the country, but cannot seem to agree on a standard-bearer in the presidential campaign. Rick Santorum won the endorsement of Sharron Angle, a senatorial candidate backed by the Tea Party, but it might be too little too late. A poll commissioned by the Las Vegas Review-Journal found Tea Party support was split, with 37 percent going to Newt Gingrich, 27 percent to Mr. Romney and 20 to Mr. Santorum.

Another important voting bloc, as has been widely noted, are Mormons. Twenty-six percent of 2008 Republican caucusgoers were Mormon, and Mr. Romney won 95 percent of their votes. Mr. Paul, however, has been trying to make inroads into that support. His focus on the Constitution is a natural fit for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which considers the document to be divinely inspired. And Mormonism has a history of conflict with the federal government.

In 2008, there was also a substantial share of caucusgoers — 8 percent — who were Hispanic. While a majority of Florida’s Hispanics are of Cuban descent, Nevada’s Hispanics are mostly of Mexican origin. Mr. Gingrich and Mr. Paul have reportedly courted this group’s support more than Mr. Romney and Mr. Santorum.
Should make for some interesting reading. And viewing if anyone lets Sharron Angle near a TV camera.

538 vote projections.

On the less factual side of things there have been some polls and rumours that make for fun speculation. One poll shows Santorum beating Obama in the general (lol). Now this is a Rasmussen poll and they have had horrible problems in the past, and this seems to mostly be people remaining mostly ignorant about Santorum given his (very) brief time in the spotlight, but for a few days it makes him the most electable candidate. He might be able to ride that out of a bad beat in Nevada.

Meanwhile Newt is holding a press conference immediately after the results come in. Not a speech, a press conference. Some have take this to mean he might drop out.

Combine these two and you have a fantasy situation where Newt throws his weight behind Santorum and the two run hard against Romney. At least one punter got some money down on a Santorum presidency today. I'd have taken the 140/1 as a value bet, but 66/1 sounds a bit generous to Santorums general electability. That said, today I'd take those as the odds for him getting the Republican nod.

Doubtful. Romney is going to win the nomination easily barring something incredible.

The upcoming caucuses are all very much states that Santorum will get crushed in, barring Missouri and maybe Minnesota. His strongest states are rust belt states, and those are basically sealed in favour of Romney.

He isn't even on the ballot in a lot of states.

Wha? He's a Republican candidate. At last check, he was on the ballot in every state (at least so far). Also, I think Santorum would have a natural constituency in the South, especially if Gingrich dips out. I agree that Romney probably has this in the bag, but the rest of your post is just flat what.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the results. Romney 0wnzors in Nevada. Looking like 50%+ at this point, Gingrich in the low 20s, Paul in the mid-high teens, and Santorum picking up the trash.

Uh, yeah, Santorum isn't on the ballot in a bunch of states because you have to "register" in each individual state. These states include:

Virginia
Tennessee
Rhode Island
and possibly more that I can't remember.

I find it highly unlikely Santorum will be surging anywhere without being on the ballot.

Anyhow, on my last check, the upcoming states are:

-Maine, a state even less friendly than New Hampshire where he came 10% in
-Colorado, a safe Romney state
-Minnesota, a state that has its evangelicals but has even more non-religious sorts who would go either Romney or Paul
-Missouri, Santorum's best chance at winning something, but sufficiently southern that his chance at actually winning the state depends more on what Gingrich does than his own merit.

Seeing as how elections rely upon momentum, I don't think a flurry of unfriendly states followed by a bunch of states you literally get no votes from will benefit him in the slightest.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: February 05, 2012, 10:56:34 am »

-snip-

Uh, yeah, Santorum isn't on the ballot in a bunch of states because you have to "register" in each individual state. These states include:

Virginia
Tennessee
Rhode Island

I find it highly unlikely Santorum will be surging anywhere without being on the ballot.

He's not on the ballot in Tennessee?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: February 05, 2012, 11:02:44 am »

there are two types of individuals that dont vote, fool that dont know care or know who is runing and fools that care but know who is runing.

dont you have any sane middle of the road, lest just fix our shit up type.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: February 05, 2012, 11:03:50 am »

No we don't. Or at least none that has any chance of getting elected.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #1568 on: February 05, 2012, 11:05:47 am »

Everyone avoids voting third party because "it's throwing your vote away" so no one votes third party.  Regardless of if you think you have a chance to get a third party member elected president, local support can go a long way in getting third partiers elected at more local levels, which can be just as important.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: February 05, 2012, 11:13:09 am »

No we don't. Or at least none that has any chance of getting elected.

They don't have a chance of getting elected because people don't think they have a chance of being elected.

You should vote on who you think is best, not who you think is going to win. Anything else is stupid, not to mention against the whole spirit of democracy.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: February 05, 2012, 11:42:49 am »

-snip-

Virginia
Tennessee
Rhode Island

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/12/30/bachmann-santorum-have-no-delegates-on-tennessee-primary-ballot/

So strictly speaking he is, but he has no delegates
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: February 05, 2012, 11:50:45 am »

Yeah, I was for McCain in the 2008 primary too. I felt bad for the guy after what happened in 2000. I don't feel so bad after 2008. Which brings up a point we haven't considered yet: who would Romney draft for VP? It's tough to get a real boost out of a good VP pick, but I think Sarah Palin and Dan Quayle showed us that a bad one can kill a candidate.

My esteemed governor, Brian Sandoval seems to have been governing the last two years in way that will make him the best choice for VP, namely by doing nothing to try and fix the state. He's free from any personal scandals, can say he's never raised taxes, and plus he's Hispanic, and I'd bet the Republicans would like to have some diversity in the ticket.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: February 05, 2012, 12:17:09 pm »

Yeah, I was for McCain in the 2008 primary too. I felt bad for the guy after what happened in 2000. I don't feel so bad after 2008. Which brings up a point we haven't considered yet: who would Romney draft for VP? It's tough to get a real boost out of a good VP pick, but I think Sarah Palin and Dan Quayle showed us that a bad one can kill a candidate.
and plus he's Hispanic, and I'd bet the Republicans would like to have some diversity in the ticket.

:P you Americans, still playing the race card in politics.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: February 05, 2012, 01:02:41 pm »

and plus he's Hispanic, and I'd bet the Republicans would like to have some diversity in the ticket.
:P you Americans, still playing the race card in politics.

We play the gender card sometimes too. Nothings off the table.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: February 05, 2012, 01:43:20 pm »

-snip-

Virginia
Tennessee
Rhode Island

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/12/30/bachmann-santorum-have-no-delegates-on-tennessee-primary-ballot/

So strictly speaking he is, but he has no delegates

Nice we don't have him or Bachmann, but we have no delegates for Buddy Roemer?

Probably won't end up mattering too much in the long run, though. Tennessee has never been much of a swing state.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 714