Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721002 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2250 on: February 21, 2012, 08:51:54 am »

Want to be a psychologist? Make your own job, if you can't find one!Or you know, plan properly.
Just wanted to say - the sheer number of restrictions on "making your own job" are fracking absurd. I wish their were actual small-government candidates who made it a point to try and remove many of those protectionist, authoritarian licensing and regulation provisions to allow people to self-employ, legally, easier.

I know lots and lots of good entrepreneurs, providing services people want, and not one of them started out doing things legally because making your own job, legally, is nearly impossible.

I mean, fuck - we recently had some students who were giving weaves and touch up cuts shut down hard because they couldn't afford to pay for the 500 licensing fee just to apply. In addition, the law prohibits anyone without a college degree from cutting hair. Ever. Under any circumstances. And, in fact, they can decide to not give you a license after all if they just don't like you.

It's pretty messed up, all told.

Unfortunately, the Republican's are just as big supporters of this sort of bullshit as the Democrats are,

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: February 21, 2012, 08:56:58 am »

In addition, the law prohibits anyone without a college degree from cutting hair. Ever. Under any circumstances.

Wait, bullshit! Citation, please?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: February 21, 2012, 09:19:10 am »

Eh, sorry, that's not entirely accurate. It prohibits them from cutting hair FOR money, every, under any circumstances.

Sorry about that, sort of an important bit to leave out.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: February 21, 2012, 09:26:01 am »

Around here it's illegal to set up any sort of shop without a license. That includes lemonade stands and yard sales and the like.

No one actually cares. The law's unenforced unless large scale sales (cars, etc) are being made.

I don't think any 12 year old cutting their friend's hair for 5 bucks is going to get arrested.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:27:33 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: February 21, 2012, 09:31:24 am »

But it does allow the police to abuse people based off of personal preference.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: February 21, 2012, 09:45:40 am »

People shouldn't have to break the law to do things everyone finds acceptable to do. And sometimes, it DOES get enforced.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: February 21, 2012, 09:48:30 am »

Eh, sorry, that's not entirely accurate. It prohibits them from cutting hair FOR money, every, under any circumstances.

Sorry about that, sort of an important bit to leave out.

Citation, please.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: February 21, 2012, 10:00:51 am »

Man, I'm all over the place this morning. I can't believe I wrote college. I meant high school. Bluh, I'm just going to slam my face into the wall for a while over here. Keep getting colleges and high schools mixed up. Not the only place it has happened recently.

http://www.beautyschools.edu/About_The_Industry/Licensing_Requirements

Is at least a cite for THAT bit. Bluh bluh bluh. The actual stuff is here:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/NHTOC/NHTOC-XXX-313-A.htm

Though that's not all of it.

I still see it as unacceptable, but probably a lot less crazy sounding than what I wrote to you.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: February 21, 2012, 02:09:07 pm »

How Rick Santorum could take Republicans down with him

Interesting Washington Post Op. Ed with much insight or troll-baiting article? Why not both?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: February 21, 2012, 02:32:37 pm »

Man, I'm all over the place this morning. I can't believe I wrote college. I meant high school. Bluh, I'm just going to slam my face into the wall for a while over here. Keep getting colleges and high schools mixed up. Not the only place it has happened recently.

http://www.beautyschools.edu/About_The_Industry/Licensing_Requirements

Is at least a cite for THAT bit. Bluh bluh bluh. The actual stuff is here:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/NHTOC/NHTOC-XXX-313-A.htm

Though that's not all of it.

I still see it as unacceptable, but probably a lot less crazy sounding than what I wrote to you.

Thank you!

It's the curse of being a historian's child, I suppose: bad arguments, in terms of drawing the wrong conclusion from the evidence, I can deal with, but nothing ticks me off more than uncited evidence.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: February 21, 2012, 03:53:34 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn-eejMcmuA

And this sort of shit is why Santorum shouldn't be president. The man honestly believes that stuff, I think. It's just... crazy. Complete and total insanity - he just makes stuff up in his own head, and then seems to believe it 100%.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: February 21, 2012, 04:03:01 pm »

Standard question, you know if there's a transcript of that somewhere? Beyond really not wanting to actually hear someone say what the article connected to that video is mentioning, I don't want to bother th'other folks in the house with the noise.

If not... bleh. Bleh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: February 21, 2012, 04:12:42 pm »

I can't wait to see the source he has for that one.

Oh right, and proof that Rick Santorum can create diplomatic incidents even though he has no foreign policy at all.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:15:07 pm by Leafsnail »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: February 21, 2012, 04:20:09 pm »

I can't wait to see the source he has for that one.
I would bet money that he'd play the religion card if asked for a source.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: February 21, 2012, 04:33:33 pm »

I'm all for Santorum winning the nomination. Obama would have the kind of lopsided win we haven't seen in the country since Reagan crushed Mondale in 1984. If he keeps up with the crazy red-meat social conservatism, I don't even think Santorum wins his home state. That kind of an electoral win can be used as a rhetorical hammer, arguing you have a massive mandate from the people and an utter repudiation of the other party's policies (even it was mostly a repudiation of the candidate).

You'd also have an energized Democratic turnout, because....President Santorum. Yeah, makes my skin crawl too. Energized turnout + probably a depressed Republican turnout = tectonic shift in Congress. Could reset the clock back to before the "Tea Party Revolution" in 2010. And suddenly shit starts getting done again. With a much lower chance of a Tea Party-type surge in 2014.

EDIT: Remember "Operation Chaos", back in 2008 when Rush Limbaugh urged Republicans in open primary states to go vote for Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primaries? Well, payback's a bitch.

Summary: DailyKos is calling for Democrats and independents to turn out in the open primary states and vote for Rick Santorum.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:16:36 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 714