Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720779 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #3090 on: April 11, 2012, 06:43:46 pm »

*Insert your own Christianity quip here.*

http://www.butnotyet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/republican_jesus_sml.gif

Ah yes, good ol' supply side Jesus. I'm betting that's already been posted somewhere in this thread at some point.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: April 13, 2012, 02:50:02 pm »

Slightly relevant, the rules of the primaries are so complicated that they have obtained a spot on this page.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: April 13, 2012, 05:43:04 pm »

This thread continues to be a treasure trove of win. I love you Supply Side Jesus. 
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: April 18, 2012, 12:44:23 pm »

So...even though it's now a foregone conclusion that Mitt Romney will be the Republican nominee for President of the United States, everybody still has to go through the process and ritual of the actual votes before they can allow that. It's kind of like giving a condemned man his last meal. Where, in this analogy, the condemned man is the Republican Party, and their last meal will be Romney's nutsack. They may not enjoy it, but they're too busy telling themselves it's better than the alternative.

Next Tuesday is a mini-Super Tuesday, what with five states on the ballot, absolutely none of which give Newt Gingrich a chance in Hell of milking his Southern cred for votes: Connecticut, Delaware, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island. PA was the best shot of anybody stopping him but with Santorum out now, Romney will sweep all five unless something mindboggling happens between now and then.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: April 18, 2012, 12:47:23 pm »

Suddenly, Herman Cain gathers all the votes, despite being out of the race. It all comes down to, "We didn't want the votes to go to Romney." Ron Paul's reaction at 11.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: April 18, 2012, 01:11:43 pm »

Suddenly, Herman Cain gathers all the votes, despite being out of the race. It all comes down to, "We didn't want the votes to go to Romney." Ron Paul's reaction at 11.
Is it too much to wish for Sarah Palin's grandstanding ass to "hear the call of 'real' America" and jump in, to screw things up good?  :D

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: April 18, 2012, 01:14:06 pm »

I like how conservatives are already publicly perking up about their candidate, just as Colbert lampooned weeks ago. It's like the 5 stages of grief have a political analog.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: April 18, 2012, 01:28:39 pm »

There's also a lot of talk about how this election "is a referendum, not a choice". I.e. "it's not about whether or not we put up a good candidate, it's purely about whether you like Obama or not!"

That's a dangerous gambit, because if the economy improves or Obama handles some foreign policy crisis deftly (yeah, who I am kidding...) then they're sunk. They're basically putting all their money on Obama screwing up and/or the economy continuing to do poorly and/or conservatives pundits blaming everything from European fiscal insolvency to the state of American Idol on him.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: April 18, 2012, 01:49:52 pm »

So what you're saying is, the logical extreme of "strategic voting" has come about as a matter of official policy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: April 18, 2012, 01:53:03 pm »

More or less. Now that their electoral fortunes are explicitly being based on Obama's poll numbers and job performance, rather than their own accomplishments or ideas, it's utterly in their own self-interest to try and wreck our collective shit as hard as possible. All while denying any blame for it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: April 18, 2012, 01:59:32 pm »

Good thing gas prices are going back down.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: April 18, 2012, 02:04:20 pm »

I think the media and politicians vastly over-estimate how much Americans care about $1 to $1.5 fluctuations in gas prices. Mega corps and industry may care a great deal, but I think the issue gets overplayed everywhere in America. It's like "Are we paying as much as Europe yet?" "No." "Are we even close." "No." "Ok. Then why are your gums still flapping about gas prices?"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3102 on: April 18, 2012, 02:05:10 pm »

Ugh. This election is going to suck.

I really don't want to vote for Romney or Obama. I'm typically more liberal than not, although that's been somewhat subject to change over the past couple of years as I've been growing more wary of handing any more control over ANYTHING to a government that has repeatedly demonstrated itself to be inept, corrupt, and rife with a combination of corporate sellouts and plain old imbeciles. I also am not particularly impressed with Obama's tenure as POTUS, and feel that while ideologically he's pretty solid, he seriously lacks in administrative skills and is overambitious in terms of the number of directions he tries to take the country in today's economic context.

Romney I feel would probably be a better administrator, but the cost of having him as president would be having a prez who's undoubtedly out-of-touch and too blue-blooded to have much of a grip on the reality felt by 99% of the country. I don't think he is particularly conservative (which is a blessing - IMHO he's pretty moderate at heart, but has swung his stance further to the right to try to appeal to more Republicans), but I do fear he'd hand over even more control of the country to corporate America, Wall Street, et cetera without any concern for the division of classes and the imminent collapse of the middle class.

Not that Obama has done a lot to stave off the imminent collapse of the middle class. He hasn't exactly made the economic ladder particularly accessible again. I know he's only had four years, but his 'pragmatism' seems to have boiled down to 'throw a lot of money at it and hope something good comes of it', the main issue with that philosophy being that we really don't have the money to throw.

So yeah. I have no idea who I'll be voting for, unless some third-party candidate comes out of the blue and puts them both to shame.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: April 18, 2012, 02:10:24 pm »

it's utterly in their own self-interest to try and wreck our collective shit as hard as possible...

I find this hilarious. It is so damn true and it makes no sense. Seeing as how such a small percentage of the population is actually wealthy, and the Republican party stands for the wealthy and not the poor, how do they win elections? By sheer political brilliance. They convince a vast majority of people that it is in their interest for a small minority to benefit. What was once written about only in dystopian fiction is now a reality. Manipulation of the uneducated masses in such a way that they believe their undoing is really their salvation.

Obama might lose this one purely due to the fact that his opposition doesn't care how well he does. He'll screw up SOMETHING, and that's more than enough to maintain the roughly 50/50 split in this country. He just has to screw up a little bit harder and he'll lose the last few independents that actually make a difference. This is all assuming that his 50% actually come out to vote. Anyone who supported his campaign "platform" (we don't really have those anymore, just vague ideas like change or reform that aren't binding) is disillusioned by the fact that nothing happened, and anyone who voted to show racial pride or to open up the seat of President to minorities won't show up again.

Also, are we ever going to get socialized medicine? This whole "everyone pays and the poor receive" is getting old. What about "everyone pays and everyone receives?" Maybe if we didn't half-ass people would vote for it because they'd benefit. I'm tired of avoiding the doctor and being terrified I'm going to get cancer and die bankrupt and destitute.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: April 18, 2012, 02:12:26 pm »

Ugh. This election is going to suck.

I really don't want to vote for Romney or Obama. I'm typically more liberal than not, although that's been somewhat subject to change over the past couple of years as I've been growing more wary of handing any more control over ANYTHING to a government that has repeatedly demonstrated itself to be inept, corrupt, and rife with a combination of corporate sellouts and plain old imbeciles. I also am not particularly impressed with Obama's tenure as POTUS, and feel that while ideologically he's pretty solid, he seriously lacks in administrative skills and is overambitious in terms of the number of directions he tries to take the country in today's economic context.

Romney I feel would probably be a better administrator, but the cost of having him as president would be having a prez who's undoubtedly out-of-touch and too blue-blooded to have much of a grip on the reality felt by 99% of the country. I don't think he is particularly conservative (which is a blessing - IMHO he's pretty moderate at heart, but has swung his stance further to the right to try to appeal to more Republicans), but I do fear he'd hand over even more control of the country to corporate America, Wall Street, et cetera without any concern for the division of classes and the imminent collapse of the middle class.

Not that Obama has done a lot to stave off the imminent collapse of the middle class. He hasn't exactly made the economic ladder particularly accessible again. I know he's only had four years, but his 'pragmatism' seems to have boiled down to 'throw a lot of money at it and hope something good comes of it', the main issue with that philosophy being that we really don't have the money to throw.

So yeah. I have no idea who I'll be voting for, unless some third-party candidate comes out of the blue and puts them both to shame.
Sorry, I'm not eligible until 2020.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 714