Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720706 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #3885 on: June 16, 2012, 02:24:24 pm »

Finally, I don't think destruction of hardware is necessary. According to this law any type of equipment used in piracy is to be confiscated and destroyed by the authorities. If it must be taken temporarily for an investigation I grudgingly accept that, but after the investigation is through it should be returned in working condition wiped of infringing content and with all other content intact.

I think it's extremely generous of you.

For me most of these snips are one colossal WTF.

W2G. You do know that site allows you to suggest modifications to the law so if you disagree, you could, you know, put forth an effort and try to do something about changing the law.

Also, were you serious or sarcastic? I don't know if you're attacking my post or agreeing with it. I'm thinking attacking it. Did you not agree with the spoilers contents, because those are straight from the chapter Issa posted on that site? I only wrote the spoiler headers and things outside of spoilers.

I apologize if you are agreeing with me, my misunderstanding.

I was sarcastic, because you seem to agree with most of these stuff. I view it a bit differently and the only modification a could suggest to them is "delete this crap and never mention it again".

Seriously - what's this document is supposed to do is to force the most stupid and restrictive aspects of American IP laws on other countries. I can't see any justification for anyone to have an inclusive right to profit from a creative work for 120 years. I don't think it's reasonable to force infringers to pay neither 3x nor 1.1x the infringed content's value. Patenting medical procedures, animals or plants is a terrible idea and potentially damaging to the countries' healthcare and farming. This treaty is not reasonable, it's ridiculous.

The animals and medical procedures were exempt. Also, yeah, I'd rather have it your way too. Much, much rather. However,  I also think sooner or later they are going to pass something along those lines though and every time they try I'm going to tell them how it can be better when I look it over.

Oh yeah, I also meant to complain about that 120 years thing, thanks for reminding me. I think only an individual should be able to have a copyright, and for a long period of time only on the arts. For tech I think 5 or 10 years would be enough. Medicine, and possibly research and related fields should have no copyrights.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:33:56 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: June 16, 2012, 02:37:36 pm »

The animals and medical procedures were exempt.
Not according to your quote;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here making patents available means letting people patent them, not making patented entities freely available (public domain). This is an amendment to the current treaty, which explicitly allows exemptions for these categories.

Section 3 that follows that defined the exemptions available. This could easily be read in various ways (depending on your view of ordre public), but I'm banking that a narrow view (minimal exemptions) will be argued in most cases.
EDIT:
Oh yeah, I also meant to complain about that 120 years thing, thanks for reminding me. I think only an individual should be able to have a copyright, and for a long period of time only on the arts. For tech I think 5 or 10 years would be enough. Medicine, and possibly research and related fields should have no copyrights.
On not allowing corporate copyrights, what about work for hire? If every work were copyright to the original creator and no other body then copyright law would become infinitely more complex in many cases. How about an animated film with dozens of artists, voice actors, writers, etc? In a work for hire the studio may hold copyright over the whole film and all elements that make it up. Destroy that doctrine and who holds copyright? Does each artist own their own frames? Each actor their own voice tracks?

As for the extended periods in the arts, what good do they do? The whole point of copyright is to offer incentive to artists. How much incentive is the slim potential for minor profits thirty years from now? As always. I recommend Breyer's dissent in Eldred v. Ashcroft discussing the copyright extension act at that time. He looked at the actual numbers involved in the extension and the 'incentive' that they were offering;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:45:30 pm by palsch »

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: June 16, 2012, 02:41:52 pm »

The animals and medical procedures were exempt

I don't see it that way. The text in legalese seems to suggest that each party should make patenting animals and medical procedures possible.

Also, yeah, I'd rather have it your way too. Much, much rather. However,  I also think sooner or later they are going to pass something along those lines though and every time they try I'm going to tell them how it can be better when I look it over.

They can't pass something like this and enforce it successfully if most people don't find it acceptable, or at least think they can't do anything about it. By agreeing to this and suggesting minor adjustments you are only taking your part in making it happen. And your propositions will probably be ignored anyway. Why to placate someone who already decided to accept this treaty?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: June 16, 2012, 03:23:27 pm »

Ahh, you're both right. Also I see I must have misread that about the animals and medical procedures. Palsch, you are why I like B12; I can do a little bit of work making a fool of myself publically and someone who knows better will come along and let me know about it while being nice about it and excusing my ignorance (I hope) Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with me so I can make better decisions.

Ganto, you are also great for pointing that out. Count me in for solidarity against this kind of crap.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: June 16, 2012, 03:28:00 pm »

And this is why Bay12 is special...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: June 19, 2012, 08:11:25 am »

Marco Rubio apparently writes that he would be an illegal immigrant too, if he was in the same position as most illegal immigrants.

While the sentiment is humane, humanity has no place in the modern GOP. Any chances that Rubio had at being a VP pick just went out the window. He still has a pretty good shot at future elections just because Florida. But nationally, he just became persona non grata with the far-right.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: June 19, 2012, 08:25:29 am »

On not allowing corporate copyrights, what about work for hire? If every work were copyright to the original creator and no other body then copyright law would become infinitely more complex in many cases. How about an animated film with dozens of artists, voice actors, writers, etc? In a work for hire the studio may hold copyright over the whole film and all elements that make it up. Destroy that doctrine and who holds copyright? Does each artist own their own frames? Each actor their own voice tracks?
Or the law could state it's a shared copyright, and I think it's bullshit that it doesn't work that way now, where each person has full copyright to the object in question. At the very least I'd like to see it become popular in cases like portrait photography where making a copy of your family photo or posting it online is breaking the law. Yeah, I agree it gets muddled when it's a team effort, but I'm sure there are workable implementations that at least get close, even if its just limited to works that are primarily or clearly the result of one person.

At the VERY least, I think copyright should be non-transferable (only duplicatable). You should be able to sell a copyright you hold, but you should not be able to lose it in the process - you can expand the pool of those with the copyright but not shrink it. For cases like work-for-hire, this wouldn't be the case since the individual never owned the copyright (unless their contract says otherwise of course).

I agree with the terms being way too long either way.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: June 20, 2012, 08:18:13 am »

Redking: Is this the same Rubio who I avoided voting for because he seemed so extreme far right? And now he's advocating moderation on immigration issues? WTF?!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3893 on: June 27, 2012, 05:20:19 pm »

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: June 27, 2012, 06:28:54 pm »

Linked at the bottom. Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, eh? Looks like a fairly strong lead.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: June 27, 2012, 07:23:54 pm »

Let's all hope and pray that gas stays cheap. If it really does dip below $3 a gallon and stay there, Obama will have a much, much better shot at beating Romney than if it takes another hike.

It's quite sad that the most powerful man in the world might be chosen according to the price of petrol.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: June 27, 2012, 07:27:57 pm »

I can't speak for the rest of the state of Michigan, but practically everyone I talk to as a customer that brings up politics (which is practically all of them,) absolutely hates Romney with a passion. They don't particularly like Snyder, either, but don't see an alternative that isn't just as/more corrupt and power hungry.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: June 27, 2012, 07:55:11 pm »

I can't speak for the rest of the state of Michigan, but practically everyone I talk to as a customer that brings up politics (which is practically all of them,) absolutely hates Romney with a passion. They don't particularly like Snyder, either, but don't see an alternative that isn't just as/more corrupt and power hungry.
I take it Snyder is some third party guy/governer of Michigan?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: June 27, 2012, 07:58:20 pm »

Govenor of Michigan.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: July 03, 2012, 08:02:33 am »

It's becoming increasingly clear that the governor's race in North Carolina is a sad joke.

One of the candidates has an "A" rating from the NRA, is against gay marriage, and is in favor of allowing hydraulic fracturing ("fracking"). The other one is a Republican.  :'(

Guess I'm voting Libertarian for the 2nd straight race.

Oh, and late last night our legislature overrode three straight gubernatorial vetos, further underscoring how useless the position has become since the GOP hijacked the reins of state government. One of the overrides (nullifying a veto on fracking) appears to have passed by 1 vote...a Democrat who accidentally pressed the wrong button and immediately recognized her mistake. The Speaker of the House then immediately used a procedural trick to make it impossible to ask for a do-over or a re-vote. And so continues our relentless death march towards becoming Northern South Carolina. At this rate, I should be getting my "Truck Up On Cinderblocks In My Front Yard" subsidy soon.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:07:56 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 714