Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717590 times)

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9045 on: November 08, 2012, 02:08:50 pm »

I can't relate. I never had to write a politically-influenced paper for any of my classes. I assume this is a "classes outside of STEM" thing?

Yeah. It was during my general eds.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9046 on: November 08, 2012, 02:12:41 pm »

Hmm...the Very Rich tend to be Republican, since they're the ones that most republican policies actually help out. I wonder how much of the Republican base follows them because they are Super Rich, and therefore know how to be successful. America does tend to treat wealth as if it were nobility.
The Republican Party lives on the idea of the American dream. (Everyone can become succesfull and rich if they just try hard enough).  Hence why it stands for tax cuts for the rich, and less social welfare and stuff.

The poor stods are just not working hard enough, and the rich have made it an deserve to be rewarded. Therefore, the governement should also avoid meddling with stuff, because they will interfere with the economy and in such a way will push down the very people they try to help.

*This caricutarized and probably politcally incorrect view of the GOP was brought to you by...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9047 on: November 08, 2012, 02:13:25 pm »

Ditto. My history and poli sci profs were scrupulously even-handed. And amazingly polite when asshole undergrads who thought they would be the "rebel conserative" were downright hostile and obnoxious. My profs were more like Nate Silver than Michael Moore. Just because the facts have a liberal bias doesn't mean that the guy/gal explaining them does.

But it's cool, I realize that there's a certain level of "persecution complex" that comes with the territory. Christians are persecuted (despite being the majority), heterosexuals are persecuted (despite being the majority), whites are persecuted (despite being the majority), males are persecuted (despite being the majority)...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9048 on: November 08, 2012, 02:13:57 pm »

Hmm...the Very Rich tend to be Republican, since they're the ones that most republican policies actually help out. I wonder how much of the Republican base follows them because they are Super Rich, and therefore know how to be successful. America does tend to treat wealth as if it were nobility.

Like Soros, Buffet, Gates, the founder of Google? Bloomberg?

The funny thing is, taxes don't even hurt the super wealthy. They already made their bones. Taxes stop anyone from following them up the ladder, because we tax various forms of income rather than the absolute amounts of wealth already possessed.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9049 on: November 08, 2012, 02:15:47 pm »

We're talking about wanting to become educated, not wanting to become slave labour!

(That's what "post-grad" means, right? ;))

One of the benefits of starting in Engineering is that I got to skip a surprising amount of "mandatory gen-eds" - they figured engineers had better things to do. While I did have a hard-core conservative teacher or two, neither them (nor my super-liberal teachers) seem to have any interest in bringing politics into our class work.

Teachers who do so just to push their own view suck, that's for sure. (Though I know some people who got in trouble in economics for clinging to stupid beliefs instead of bothering to learn the material - but most of them weren't actually conservative beliefs, just idiotic ones, I'm assuming this is more than 'I don't care if you're conservative as long as your facts are good and you understand the system' and more along the lines of 'validate me and my opinions if you want a good grade... something which, again, sucks)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9050 on: November 08, 2012, 02:19:06 pm »

The funny thing is, taxes don't even hurt the super wealthy. They already made their bones. Taxes stop anyone from following them up the ladder, because we tax various forms of income rather than the absolute amounts of wealth already possessed.
Err, Bloomberg actually *is* a Republican.

And you're absolutely right....income tax doesn't hurt the uberwealthy, it's things like inheritance taxes and capital gains taxes that do. Which is why the Republican Party considers them an abhorrence unto God and will never, never, NEVER increase them. Or why Paul Ryan's tax plan called for eliminating capital gains taxes altogether, which would have put Mitt Romney's effective tax bracket at 0.85%.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9051 on: November 08, 2012, 02:25:05 pm »

Ditto. My history and poli sci profs were scrupulously even-handed. And amazingly polite when asshole undergrads who thought they would be the "rebel conserative" were downright hostile and obnoxious. My profs were more like Nate Silver than Michael Moore. Just because the facts have a liberal bias doesn't mean that the guy/gal explaining them does.

It varies by professor. What you mean is that the format and presentation, not the facts, have a liberal bias. History is not liberal. I can't imagine how the French revolution redounds to the credit of types such as Rosseau, or the history of communism, or the history of raises taxes to hit closer to home. The last significant tax raise in American history was in 1936, followed by a double-dip in the Great Depression.

There's a lot of lessons that aren't fit to be digested in the appropriately liberal frame of mind, and they worry that young initiates might grow confused, so they help you by conveniently presenting only the facts that fit.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9052 on: November 08, 2012, 02:33:46 pm »

Err, Bloomberg actually *is* a Republican.

And you're absolutely right....income tax doesn't hurt the uberwealthy, it's things like inheritance taxes and capital gains taxes that do. Which is why the Republican Party considers them an abhorrence unto God and will never, never, NEVER increase them. Or why Paul Ryan's tax plan called for eliminating capital gains taxes altogether, which would have put Mitt Romney's effective tax bracket at 0.85%.

Capital gains tax increases wouldn't hurt Mitt. He already has $250 million. Capital gains come from gains in that wealth. Income. Not salaried income, true, but cap-gains is still not a wealth tax. No gains that year? No gains taxes. A few nations like France have a true wealth tax of a measly 1% or so, but the fact is, all the class-warriors are being sold a bill of goods. Most of their measures merely stop new billionaires from arising, not knocking down those already minted.

Estate taxes in a true wealth tax, of course, but it's not really the sort of thing that frightens types like Soros and Buffett, who plan to master the universe before they die. The wealthy easily escape that by setting up their heirs comfortably before they die, anyway.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9053 on: November 08, 2012, 02:36:04 pm »

It varies by professor. What you mean is that the format and presentation, not the facts, have a liberal bias. History is not liberal. I can't imagine how the French revolution redounds to the credit of types such as Rosseau, or the history of communism, or the history of raises taxes to hit closer to home. The last significant tax raise in American history was in 1936, followed by a double-dip in the Great Depression.

There's a lot of lessons that aren't fit to be digested in the appropriately liberal frame of mind, and they worry that young initiates might grow confused, so they help you by conveniently presenting only the facts that fit.
Actually, I was referencing Colbert's well-known "Truth has a well-known liberal bias" quote. But thanks for following that up by being condescending and implying that I was a "confused young initiate" at the age of 31 in a Master's program! You've almost gotten the Triple Crown of Douchebaggery, keep going for the gold!

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9054 on: November 08, 2012, 02:39:29 pm »

Actually, I was referencing Colbert's well-known "Truth has a well-known liberal bias" quote. But thanks for following that up by being condescending and implying that I was a "confused young initiate" at the age of 31 in a Master's program! You've almost gotten the Triple Crown of Douchebaggery, keep going for the gold!

I was using the indeterminate pronoun "you" akin to "one" but less pretentious, so take one of my crowns of douchebaggery as a consolation. I only have one head to rest them on, anyway.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9055 on: November 08, 2012, 02:40:48 pm »

The purpose is not stop people from getting wealthy, and in fact it does not. It marginally slows the growth of wealth, though the things it is spent on will as often as not contribute to the rate of growth in wealth as well, so it should more or less be a wash.

The purpose is for those people are receiving the greatest benefits of society (those who have the highest incomes) to pay a fair share for supporting the society that is enriching them.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9056 on: November 08, 2012, 02:41:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9057 on: November 08, 2012, 02:43:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ka-pow right back at him.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9058 on: November 08, 2012, 02:44:34 pm »

But it's cool, I realize that there's a certain level of "persecution complex" that comes with the territory. Christians are persecuted (despite being the majority), heterosexuals are persecuted (despite being the majority), whites are persecuted (despite being the majority), males are persecuted (despite being the majority)...
Prejudice can be directed at majorities, you know :P Though persecution will generally only be on a small scale (like being kicked out of bars or something) with few exceptions (like the screwed up child custody laws being biased against men).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9059 on: November 08, 2012, 02:46:48 pm »

Prejudice, yes. But systematic, widescale persecution? (y'know, the kind we're secretly organizing at our gay Communist flag-burning orgies)

Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 714