Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720613 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9510 on: November 14, 2012, 04:16:11 pm »

Republican leaders still believe they can earn black or latino voters by inserting token candidates rather than shifting their policies and rhetoric. While it's true that Republican voters can hold their nose if agitated against Democrats enough, I'm not sure that it'll be as easy as previous shifts the Republican party made after around 30 years of cracking that whip against the issues they now need their voters to accept. That Tea Party movement might just end up biting them in the ass.

If the Establishment wins, the GOP will still be a rump party for a while but I think will try to become broadly pro-Hispanic and rely on the strong correlation between Hispanics and Catholicism to bolster support for some social conservative issues like abortion and gay marriage. They'll lose a lot of the nativists, old-school racists and rabid Protestant Bible-beaters, but then there's not much of a place for those folks to go--might jump to a further-right party like the Constitution Party.

As I brought up in the Puerto Rico thread, this assumption about Latino Catholics may need to be challenged (much to my surprise as well). Exit polling has shown that Latino voters are far more liberal than we give them credit for.

Not really

I'm not sure about the same-sex marriage issue either.

Quote Source
Quote from: Chicago Tribune
More than two-thirds of Hispanics voted for Obama, who is thought to have cemented Latino support with his executive action this year on deportation exemptions for many undocumented youths. But among Hispanic voters, immigration ranked behind the economy, unemployment, healthcare and "issues like abortion and same-sex marriage" as a motivating issue.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9511 on: November 14, 2012, 04:17:44 pm »

I don't think Hill should run. She's got a lot of hate baggage, and anyway I really don't want to have the 80's-90's Grudge Match: BUSH V. CLINTON: THIS TIME IT'S PRESIDENTIAL.

That said, if there's a democrat out there who's going to win in 2016, he's going to need to appear in the next year, and strongly distance himself from Obama. That way, if the economy is still flumping along in 2016, he can be a democratic maveric; if the economy is great, his previous criticisms are going to be forgotten in overwhelming love of Democrats.

Now, if I could have my way, Obama 2 would be more outspokenly liberal, and while I'm wishing, he'd have a democratic legislative branch too, so he isn't crippled by internal conflicts.

More likely, we'll probably see a friendly, sane-seeming Republican with absurd amounts of wealth behind even more secretive superpacs than we had this year. I'm not convinced that'll happen, but for now it's what I'm leaning towards.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9512 on: November 14, 2012, 04:19:28 pm »

Any chance Romney will come back for a rematch?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9513 on: November 14, 2012, 04:20:09 pm »

Considering that he gets all the blame for not getting voted, I doubt it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9514 on: November 14, 2012, 04:22:04 pm »

Worth a read:

Observers in the media are declaring that Fox News' political activism has damaged the Republican Party in light of its losses in the 2012 elections. Fox figures have actively campaigned for Republican candidates over the past four years and instructed GOP officials on how to behave once they're elected:

http://mediamatters.org/research/2012/11/10/fox-news-relationship-with-the-gop-is-under-fir/191329
Telegraph's Hodges: "Fox News Is Killing The Republican Party." Dan Hodges wrote a November 8 article for The Telegraph titled "Fox News Is Killing the Republican Party." He stated that "Fox News, widely perceived to be one of the Republican party's greatest assets, has actually become a liability to it." Fox News, he wrote, was "an albatross around the neck of Mitt Romney." Hodges also wrote that Fox's misinformation "provides a false comfort zone for conservative politicians and their supporters." [The Telegraph, 11/8/12]

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9515 on: November 14, 2012, 04:25:47 pm »

Murdoch - the ultimate troll?
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9516 on: November 14, 2012, 04:27:38 pm »

Probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised if he started making critical errors due to senility.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9517 on: November 14, 2012, 04:34:29 pm »

Any chance Romney will come back for a rematch?
About the same that John Kerry will run again. So, no.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9518 on: November 14, 2012, 04:42:12 pm »

That said, if there's a democrat out there who's going to win in 2016, he's going to need to appear in the next year, and strongly distance himself from Obama. That way, if the economy is still flumping along in 2016, he can be a democratic maveric; if the economy is great, his previous criticisms are going to be forgotten in overwhelming love of Democrats.

Now, if I could have my way, Obama 2 would be more outspokenly liberal, and while I'm wishing, he'd have a democratic legislative branch too, so he isn't crippled by internal conflicts.
Hmm. Perhaps a certain popular ambitious Democratic Governor, who is known for force-feeding republican legislatures his agenda? One who has stayed out of National Politics? *Ahem*

It sounds a awful lot like the start of a new era. Just keep our eyes out for the CCS, and we'll be golden.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9519 on: November 14, 2012, 04:55:08 pm »

New York Dems don't tend to play well in Peoria. JFK was the last Northeastern Democrat to get elected President.
Hell, up until Obama, he was the last Democrat from outside the South to get elected.

I think Elliott Spitzer could have had a shot, what with his populist cred for going after Wall Street cheats. At least, until he caught with his pants down and a high-priced madam on his speed dial.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9520 on: November 14, 2012, 04:59:41 pm »

New York Dems don't tend to play well in Peoria. JFK was the last Northeastern Democrat to get elected President.
Hell, up until Obama, he was the last Democrat from outside the South to get elected.
Yeah, but black Democrats from everywhere didn't get elected President until Obama either.

JFK was a long time ago, and if we're going to have an era of progress and political change, it might as well start now. No need to worry about predictions when we've got Nate Silver and his otherworldly powers on our side.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9521 on: November 14, 2012, 05:00:16 pm »

RedKing, JFK wasn't THAT many elections ago. I mean, statistically, that's not much to base anything on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9522 on: November 14, 2012, 05:04:11 pm »

Yeah, but black Democrats from everywhere didn't get elected President until Obama either.

JFK was a long time ago, and if we're going to have an era of progress and political change, it might as well start now. No need to worry about predictions when we've got Nate Silver and his otherworldly powers on our side.

I'm just saying, there's still a strong perception of Northeastern (and California) Democrats as archliberals, and thus too liberal for Main Street, USA. Now if you can find a guy/gal from those areas who has some populist credentials, and doesn't support gay flag-burning abortion parades (I jest, but you get my drift), then there's a shot.

I mean, look at Pelosi. The #1 criticism of her on the Right is "OMG She's from San Francisco! Ergo, she's a tofu-eating pansexual Communist."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9523 on: November 14, 2012, 05:16:24 pm »

Those are the best kind of communists.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9524 on: November 14, 2012, 05:17:02 pm »

Agreed :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 714