Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677380 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4440 on: April 08, 2017, 12:22:33 am »

Now as I mentioned above, this empire needs a decently sounding name.

Any suggestions?
It sounds like you just described Rupture Farms after an off-world expansion.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: April 08, 2017, 12:57:18 am »

Now as I mentioned above, this empire needs a decently sounding name.

Any suggestions?
It sounds like you just described Rupture Farms after an off-world expansion.
If I may be honest, that was partially my inspiration.

edit:

I may have hit upon a problem with my build..
In order to have the Corporate Dominion civic, I need to be some form of Egalitarian.
And to be able to process xenos into food, I need to be able to enslave pops..
But apparently Egalitarian forbids slavery..

I seem to be able to pick Xenophobe, so it might not be a problem at all..?
If my worries are true, I might have to resort to using mods.

edit2: You know what? This doesn't seem to work as I wanted. Fortunately, there already seem to be mods which remedies this issue.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:49:40 am by Ultimuh »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: April 08, 2017, 03:16:45 am »

Hmm. I like Ascension Perks, but Traditions are silly, yeah... mainly being able to get all of them. I think there should simply be more Traditions. Say, 14, but only seven slots to choose. Throw in a few more Ascension Perks and there is some real choice involved.

The thing I like most about the changes is, surprisingly, consumer goods. In the old days I was constantly having zillion minerals and unless I was building doomstacks, I never had problems with minerals beyond the early game. Now I'm actually constantly running out of minerals. I like it. I don't know if it is the consumer good demand or what, but not having thousands of rocks constantly is more fun.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: April 08, 2017, 03:51:54 am »

Consumer goods is, in theory, a good idea. In practice it can be horribly broken with the right civ traits, species traits and ethos. Paying the same amount of consumer goods for utopian living standards as everyone else does for regular is pretty damn powerful.

I'll agree about the traditions though; they were silly like that in CivBE when you could take them all and they're just as silly here. Something similar to the EU4 system would be brilliant for it
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: April 08, 2017, 04:29:34 am »

I don't like Traditions either.

It feels like Paradox copied Civ5's policy trees, without thinking about what made them work : you didn't unlock too many trees too quickly, which meant you made real choices, and the choices in Civ5 felt a bit more meaningful, whereas here, I don't feel like I change the way I play to use the bonuses ...

It also feels to create your government with traits like the species, as you simply pick things that become more generic...

There are good things, in this expansion, but I feel like they've worsened some aspects too :/

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: April 08, 2017, 04:32:28 am »

I have a feeling originally traditions were meant to be a lot more down to earth.

The game has a lot of aspects that don't work well such as Slavery or a Egalitarian empire... As well the game doesn't really highlight some of the society changes that could have been rather interesting.

So they were probably going to add in mechanics that allowed you to slowly find ways that made them work.

Yet I bet the higher ups said "Bigger is better!" and we got this.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: April 08, 2017, 04:57:41 am »

Yeah. Traditions feel like they lack no choice except for maybe the first choice of tree. The game's clearly designed to encourage picking all traditions which completely eliminates the point and makes it a smaller less exciting tech tree. It's way too easy to unlock new traditions and the ascension perks are clearly made with this in mind, since you need to fill out a tree for one perk.

Still like the rest so far, though.

Yet I bet the higher ups said "Bigger is better!" and we got this.
Not everything is some corporate conspiracy, Neo. Sometimes designers make mistakes.

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: April 08, 2017, 05:02:35 am »

Not everything is some corporate conspiracy, Neo. Sometimes designers make mistakes.

Conspiracy? The higher ups always have a say on the games. You typically only notice when they seriously mess up (or in a few cases... genuinely make it better)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: April 08, 2017, 05:48:25 am »

But you're assuming it's THOSE DARN EVIL CORPORATE FATCATS because it's something you don't like.
That's not the way it works - it's not always the nebulous "higher-ups" interfering and messing things up.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: April 08, 2017, 05:55:47 am »

But you're assuming it's THOSE DARN EVIL CORPORATE FATCATS because it's something you don't like.
That's not the way it works - it's not always the nebulous "higher-ups" interfering and messing things up.

No, it just seems like something that had a sensible execution that suddenly got inflated to absurd proportions.

That is why I assume higher ups might have had a hand in it... not because "I don't like it".

Especially since, well, this isn't really "EVIL!" or exactly "Moneygrubby" either.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:57:41 am by Neonivek »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: April 08, 2017, 10:17:01 am »

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed by the traditions - it doesn't really seem to make sense as a tradition by very definition is something that a civilisation only has one or two of. Getting all of them every game means that they aren't really traditions and are just sort of different technologies.

I don't think this was someone at the top meddling, just rather that they mistakenly believed people would get bored without access to all of them. I'll hope they change them, if not I'm sure modders will step in.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: April 08, 2017, 10:28:51 am »

I'm playing my first campaign now. Only a bit disappointed with the early game so far, the DDs made it seem like the first X was going to feel really exciting, like playing star trek or something, but surveying systems is just business as usual and I'm yet to find interesting anomalies that give anything beyond a couple of events(one upon discovery and another on completion) and a small bonus in some resource.

Now if I may bother you people with questions:
  • What is "culture" callled here? I mean, the thing that determines how far your borders extend. Can I hoard lots of it and do peaceful takeovers like I can in civ?
  • I built a couple of border outposts in order to be able to mine on some systems, but now they are very well inside my borders. Is it safe to remove those outposts so I can claim systems farther away? Wiki says removing them "may affect the outer border unpredictably", which is as scary as it is vague
  • Can I automate science ship surveying somehow? Being able to order them to survey whole systems at once is nice, but not enough.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: April 08, 2017, 10:59:05 am »

I'm playing my first campaign now. Only a bit disappointed with the early game so far, the DDs made it seem like the first X was going to feel really exciting, like playing star trek or something, but surveying systems is just business as usual and I'm yet to find interesting anomalies that give anything beyond a couple of events(one upon discovery and another on completion) and a small bonus in some resource.

Now if I may bother you people with questions:
  • What is "culture" callled here? I mean, the thing that determines how far your borders extend. Can I hoard lots of it and do peaceful takeovers like I can in civ?
  • I built a couple of border outposts in order to be able to mine on some systems, but now they are very well inside my borders. Is it safe to remove those outposts so I can claim systems farther away? Wiki says removing them "may affect the outer border unpredictably", which is as scary as it is vague
  • Can I automate science ship surveying somehow? Being able to order them to survey whole systems at once is nice, but not enough.

Yeah it is a bit disappointing - some of the event chains are interesting enough, but it's all just 'choose option a and get x or option b and get y, sometimes with a random chance of it going wrong'. I think they had good intentions with it, but failed miserably to get it any more exciting than random events in other games - there's no tactics or strategy with it, or any other thinking required than just 'pick what sounds useful'. That 'micro' aspect also doesn't really fit with the rest of the game, so it just sort of doesn't work - ignore it and just click through the events.

1) 'Culture' isn't really defined in the same way as other games, your border range extends with planets, spacestations and a few repeatable techs you can research to extend the radius. It also fluctuates on just general empire power, but i'm not sure what the exact calc is. You can do peaceful takeovers of a sort, but it doesn't really work well - it's not like in other games where it's a viable strategy to conquer an enemy.

2) if they're very well inside your borders you're safe to take them off, just be careful as it can shrink the borders in that area. It's normally not too weird though.

3) There's a tech which you should come upon in not too long to automate it. I think it's stupid to have to research it, as it's never an exciting thing to do. Again, it comes back to them wanting to do an exploration game within a 4x but just failing.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: April 08, 2017, 12:26:59 pm »

Turns out 10x research times are way too long, who woulda thunk.

Changing it to 3x maybe.

----

So after a few ridiculously long marathon sessions with this, I will say.... you don't really need to rush out and buy this DLC. There's kinda nothing in there that you really need.

1. The mod versions of megastructures are better. I'm not joking, they're straight up better in every single way. The game ones are practically worthless with the exception of habitats. Considering Paradox released a space 4x without some kind of planet destroyer and with completely fucked up space structures (even base space fortresses are almost garbage), I'm starting to think they have no clue what a space 4x is supposed to be like.

2. Ascensions perks and traditions are dumb. All they do is break your game balance and make you lose your immersion. Actually, let me rephrase that. I think ascension perks are alright. They're limited in amount and hard to get, not to mention do what traditions SHOULD have been. Traditions themselves are dumb and stupid.

3. Indoctrination doesn't really do anything useful.

4. Advanced slavery is good.

5. Advanced governments is meh.

----

The only things I like about 1.5 is factions and slavery options. That's it. Paradox really, really needs to make their DLC for this game more comprehensive than what modmakers already do.

There's even a mod that straight up automates your empire's building and upgrading. It works amazingly and is super in-depth. Why isn't this in the game? Why can't the sector AI use that AI?!

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: April 08, 2017, 12:35:39 pm »

.. After a beginning of a second game, I fel like I prefered 1.4 to 1.5.... seriously...
I don't like the new factions (not that the previous iteration was really good). I've played a game where, without making things especially for them (except switch a policy or two that I didn't use) and had 3 factions at 60+% happiness and another at 15%. But it didn't really matter.
Happiness of the pops doesn't seem it maters anymore : you just recruit 4-5 defensive armies and unrest doesn't matter anymore. Yes, my planets are 10-20% less powerful than yours, but I settle on any 40% colonizable planet and I get a bigger empire quickly.

I don't think I understand why they made most of the changes ... :/
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 632