Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Games with Factions  (Read 17581 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games with Factions
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2011, 06:26:47 am »

Gearhead 1 & 2 has joinable factions, and is free.

Link: http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

The story of Gearhead 2 tends to be influenced by which faction you join.  The story is heavily influenced by which faction the game randomly generates as the Enemy faction (which can be most of the factions).

Warning: It won't play on Windows 7 computers, as far as I can tell.  It's one of the few things I miss about my old computer.

I don't believe you.  Mostly because it runs fine on my Win7 box.  And my Linux box.  Most trouble I ever had with the thing was it occasionally segfaulting during character creation.  I forget which (or both) OS it did that on, though.

Gearhead 1 didn't run on my windows XP

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2011, 07:18:53 pm »

Gearhead 1 & 2 has joinable factions, and is free.

Link: http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

The story of Gearhead 2 tends to be influenced by which faction you join.  The story is heavily influenced by which faction the game randomly generates as the Enemy faction (which can be most of the factions).

Warning: It won't play on Windows 7 computers, as far as I can tell.  It's one of the few things I miss about my old computer.

I don't believe you.  Mostly because it runs fine on my Win7 box.  And my Linux box.  Most trouble I ever had with the thing was it occasionally segfaulting during character creation.  I forget which (or both) OS it did that on, though.

Gearhead 1 didn't run on my windows XP

Hello. Stumbled into this thread, and noticed that you might have been having the same problem that I was. If you go the the main website for Gearhead you will find a download link that leads to sourceforge. The problem, is that the something "image" file is missing from that package, for whatever reason. If you click the title of the download "Gearhead Arena" at the top of the page, you will be taken to an overview. There, to the right, you can select "Browse all files." Do so, and then go to gearhead > 1.100 > gh-1100-sdlimage.zip.

From there, you just need to stick that folder in your GH directory, and you should be good as gold. Hope it helps. :)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2011, 07:32:47 pm »

Hey it worked! Thanks a lot :)

megaloptus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2011, 12:38:11 am »

I tried Gearhead 2, loved the character creation process.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2011, 01:12:59 pm »

I tried Gearhead 2, loved the character creation process.

In case you haven't played it yet, GH1's almost identical, though with fewer portrait options and a more defining background story. That said, form what I've seen thus far, GH2's characters have a lot more personality. The all that zen chat is starting to get on my nerves...  >:(
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2011, 07:32:44 pm »

It doesn't fit the criteria entirely, but "Depths of Peril" might interest you.

It's a hack and slash diablo clone, with it's greatest feature being covenants. You create a covenant, and you compete against the other covenants for control of Jorvik, a village.

There's a lot of interaction between the covenants and the player, as the covenants are run by NPCs who do all of the same things the player does (fight monsters, complete quests). You can adventure with the other convenants, form alliances and trade with them, or declare war and raid their bases.

It's an okay game on the whole. The graphics are ass, and the soundtrack is limited (I think there might only be one song in the entire game, I wasn't paying attention). Additionally, there are only four character classes. One of which, the mage (wizard?), is a tad gimped.

I personally love it, and play it almost entirely for the covenants.

Thanks for recommending this game to me, I thoroughly enjoy the demo.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2011, 08:24:18 pm »

As i played recently with the excellent 2027 mod for it, you have Deus Ex too (and probably its sequels but never played them) that had you working (willingfully or without knowing it or having a choice) for some factions against the other(s).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2011, 01:42:11 am »

Yeah, it worked for me too!  Thanks!

EDIT: To clarify, GH1 works.  GH 2's creator says that GH 2 graphics mode won't work on Windows 7 64-bit, unless I can unlock some 32-bit compatibility mode (I can't).

EDIT2: However, "2d" mode works, and seems almost as good.  Yay!

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2011, 02:29:01 am »

Yeah, it worked for me too!  Thanks!

EDIT: To clarify, GH1 works.  GH 2's creator says that GH 2 graphics mode won't work on Windows 7 64-bit, unless I can unlock some 32-bit compatibility mode (I can't).

EDIT2: However, "2d" mode works, and seems almost as good.  Yay!

For reasons unknown, the "regular" graphics mode of GH2 doesn't work on my Pro copy of Windows XP either., or at least isn't fully functional. Any time I get to a polygonal-rendered point in the game, I get an error list and crash.

Judging by the screenshots I've seen, however, 2d is the way to go anyway. I can understand using polygons to render mech battles, since that is something you want to be intense and distinct from regular combat and mundane tasks, but I much prefer some well-done SNES-style sprites to blocky people.

ALSO: I learned this today from the folks on the GH2 thread we have here- open the gearhead.cfg file with notepad, and look for the entry #NAMESON. If you delete the "#", names will be displayed over characters and locations, making those vague quests a little more bearable.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:32:13 am by Ibid Straydrink »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]