Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Egg laying fortresses?  (Read 6059 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Egg laying fortresses?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 10:10:15 pm »

May be a bit late to this but I've been using an egg laying civ pretty much since it became possible.  In my own experience the eggs hatch regardless of whether the mother is always there or not. 

Seems to be the case with non intelligent but I have had multiple cases where the egg has even hatched when the mother was away.  The mother drops what she's doing and immediately travels across the fort to pick up their baby the moment it happens.  The only way I can imagine this to no longer be the case would be if something changed in the last version, since I haven't played the latest much.

I have only tried in the present version and I have seen many eggs but none hatch.  I have heard that egg layers in the current version are more uppity than they were in the past. 

I wonder, is the egg actually hatched by the mother's presence or is there some physical effect, like being warm?  Because if they just need to be kept warm to hatch, that's something we can work with. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 10:17:32 pm »

...Is it just me or does it sound like the fortress is laying eggs???

Fortress cancels Build Magma Cannon: Seeking Infant.

Other than that, I have absolutely no idea.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ChildServices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 02:14:30 am »

How much headway has been made on making egg-layer civs more playable? I'd love to know a few things for my own works.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 02:37:09 am »

How much headway has been made on making egg-layer civs more playable? I'd love to know a few things for my own works.

I started work on a sewer system, but I'm afraid I messed up and didn't manage it. I'll get back to testing soon though.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

ChildServices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 08:33:57 pm »

I was thinking of something that involved less construction. Did you make the eggs inedible so that they stop carrying them to stockpiles? Reduce gestation periods?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 10:00:43 pm »

[BABYNAME:egg:eggs]

Hehe.

Just offering my two cents :P

ChildServices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 10:31:14 pm »

[BABYNAME:egg:eggs]

Hehe.

Just offering my two cents :P

That's actually a really good idea. But I think of it as more of a stop-gap measure than an actual means of addressing the game's issues.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:10:56 am by ChildServices »

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 08:20:15 pm »

Trying an unusual egg civ originally and then finally just a regular egg-laying civ myself.

I had been wondering about the temperature aspect myself. Has anyone tried keeping the eggs warm to hatch them? I've been super busy, and will not be able to try any experiments. (By the time I am free fallout 4 will be here :)

I experimented with an immortal queen and locked her on the nest for a year. Plus a huge number of 'breeding' options. IE getting her to mingle with her SO, etc. Don't have a record of every step, but got nothing from it.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2024, 12:43:10 pm »

Currently doing a bit of work with a special egg-laying race myself and I wanted to add my two cents here since I came here looking for information.

As far as egg laying Chambers go I like to set up a large room filled with nests and then designate a dormitory over top of that and then have everything in the dormitory that's needed for a dormitory food stockpiles tables chairs and then in about a year I have 100 babies its frightening........ 

And I say a year but I'm unsure of the actual time it's a good bit of time as far as I can see in my in my setup but, I read somewhere that it said fort mode(entitys)egg layer  take twice as long I can't remember what the exact amount but it's a lot longer to produce young than other egg layers

Make sure no stockpile accepts these eggs

Then after the first clutch is born take all the eggs that didn't hatch and turn them into meals or throw them away

Also I'm noticing after big clutch births of eggs the reproduction pretty much comes to a standstill and I think this is due to population cap limits

Not even going to lie seeing dudes lined up and q's waiting at the egg hatch box is kind of hilarious knowing what they're waiting there for LOL

Although I have no actual proof that this deed is taking place inside of these dormitories all the time I see males going in and just standing there with no activity standing adjacent to an nest box I can only imagine what what they're doing

Here is a shot of a setup i threw together just now its pretty sloppy but you get the idea :D showing room layout this clutch was born in a few months super fast !!!!! i turned hauling off for the women and i guess it helped o.o

My little green duders can have max 30 babys from eggs

Wiki confirms can't lay eggs and breed normally.

And after several tries with several different egg Chambers on different forts I get with my setup I have between 60 and 90 eggs hatch and then no more eggs hatch after that and I have the population cap set as high as the game will allow and it's still just stops after a couple couple clutches hatch, and I'm starting to suspect that it breaks migrant waves too if you have gigantic clutches of eggs born at all at the same time

wow was I wrong life finds a way I guess I was just really unlucky for really unlucky if you don't have eggs hatching make more nest boxes or destroy all the nest boxes and  rebuild all the nest boxes I guess, I read that somewhere else too.
Went from like 80 creature to over 200 in 3 births lmao from village to metropolis in about 3 seconds 🧠💥👍
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also just noticed that this can happen undead can lay eggs also because I have a dead creature that got resurrected and it's laying eggs

And one last piece of advice for egg-laying sieves make the children born adults because if you don't do this the forts will become hell to micromanage and I mean utter hell cuz you will have a baby population outweighing the adults immediately and nothing will get done..🙏👍 good luck !!!

LOL that egg laying life

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2024, 02:34:11 pm »

Although I have no actual proof that this deed is taking place inside of these dormitories all the time I see males going in and just standing there with no activity standing adjacent to an nest box I can only imagine what what they're doing

You gotta be there to cheer your girl on when theyre laying 30 fucking eggs in one go.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2024, 03:04:22 pm »

You gotta be there to cheer your girl on when theyre laying 30 fucking eggs in one go.
LmFao cheering the girl on 😭🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I want to cheer on the mom's carrying around 30 babes while doing fortress work it's pretty hilarious
Pages: 1 [2]