Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help: Modded races just stand around doing nothing in fortress mode.  (Read 1891 times)

sorlaczeraus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

A while ago I started working on a mod called Maus Fortress, with the idea of being a woodland critter mod similar based on on the TTRPG Mausritter, and on book/comic series like Redwall and Mouse Guard. I deleted all civilized races and the created new ones by applying the animal person template to a bunch of woodland creatures, made all other creatures much bigger to be appropriate for a mouse-sized world, and turned certain creatures like cats and bears into megabeasts.
When I tested it out, it had a certain tendency to crash during worldgen, but once a world is created, I was able to play some adventurer mode games with no problem.
However, when trying to play a fortress mode game, I has some problems. The three races I made playable in fortress mode (hamsters, mice, and groundhogs) seem to just stand and wander around without obeying any designations when in fortress mode. I tried to designate tiles to be mined, plants to be gathered, or trees to be chopped, but my citizens just don't do any of it.

I don't know what the problem is, I was wondering if perhaps someone smarter than me could give it a look and see what I messed up.

Link to the mod's raws: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QHxNeD1repWOZN_i76JQ0DqccSSMrIqW?usp=sharing

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Help: Modded races just stand around doing nothing in fortress mode.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 06:15:47 pm »

I think the issue is that your animal people are too small to use picks and axes. You need to have a size of at least 42500 to pick them up, and your creatures are all smaller than that. I'm not sure what's going on with the plant gathering, so that may be another issue, but the size thing would explain the lack of chopping and mining.

*If you'd prefer not to change the size, you could also tweak their tools to work for smaller creatures by lowering the [MINIMUM_SIZE:x] token.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 06:18:16 pm »

For the weird races, try checking to make sure you've removed all large_roaming, pet, pet value, trainable, and meanderer tags, they sometimes have weird effects on intelligent creatures. and ensure they have the intelligent token. Also ensure you've given them tools that they can wield one-handed at their size, and of sharp metallic materials. That wouldn't affect plant gathering though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

sorlaczeraus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 07:18:14 pm »

Okay, thank you so much! I didn't know the relative size of tools affected whether a creature can wield them or not, so tweaking tool size should do the trick! Thank you!
Regarding the plant gathering thing, I might be misremembering if I tried to designate any plant-gathering jobs or not, since it was a few weeks ago, I'll check again.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 07:20:15 pm by sorlaczeraus »