Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124766 times)

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7455 on: February 27, 2013, 10:30:08 pm »

See, this is the thing about Dwarf Fortress.  Other dwarves are afraid of orcs, dragons, and the dark creatures of the depths, but DF dwarves shiver at night when telling the stories -- some old, some new -- of elephants, carp, unicorns, yak hair, and the most feared killer of all: silent, deadly, all-encasing ice.

"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: February 27, 2013, 11:15:16 pm »

So I decided I would, out of pity, tame and domesticate the Kobolds
I use a guide on locating kobolds
I use a mod to help locate them
After four save files made, I have the perfect kobold location, and the perfect spot of their above ground cave

I begin cage trapping them after overcoming a bad famine

Unfortunately I am amazed as to how they keep dodging the traps
I swore I had removed trap avoid tag from their file, and somehow, it was still there!

I then made a new world, face palming all the way
Then repeated the problems of "oh great, all kobold caves are too warm or too cold" (I'm a newbie, so I am still trying to manage an efficient and surviving fortress for a few years, without tantrums and too many legendary deaths during my first siege, so I am still trying to manage a heavily forrested, calm, warm fortress)

All in all, in my next embark, I am further amazed that somehow I added pet domesticated, to the giant dingoes, but not the regular ones
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: February 28, 2013, 12:15:37 am »

After two fortress involving the circus, goblins, and lots of !!!FUN!!!, I started one without the previous mistakes. However, I realized partway through that I get constant migrants from the old forts. Because of various events in those, almost every migrant is on the verge of insanity. At one point, about a fifth of a migrant wave went insane before reaching my fort, and one valuable dwarf (my old strand extractor) had to be killed after he went beserk. Lesson learned: Start a new world whenever you have a fort that ends badly and you abandon with survivors.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: February 28, 2013, 12:58:53 am »

After two fortress involving the circus, goblins, and lots of !!!FUN!!!, I started one without the previous mistakes. However, I realized partway through that I get constant migrants from the old forts. Because of various events in those, almost every migrant is on the verge of insanity. At one point, about a fifth of a migrant wave went insane before reaching my fort, and one valuable dwarf (my old strand extractor) had to be killed after he went beserk. Lesson learned: Start a new world whenever you have a fort that ends badly and you abandon with survivors.

Better lesson: abandon only for terminal boredom, never for too much Fun to handle.  Handle it or die like a dwarf.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: February 28, 2013, 01:07:56 am »

I'm pretty sure my moody dwarf wants slade blocks. *Sigh.*
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: February 28, 2013, 01:25:12 am »

Better lesson: abandon only for terminal boredom, never for too much Fun to handle.  Handle it or die like a dwarf.

I think the better lesson here is "No survivors."

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: February 28, 2013, 01:52:03 am »

Better lesson: abandon only for terminal boredom, never for too much Fun to handle. Handle it or die like a dwarf.
Quite a challenge in evil biomes.
Finis sanctificat media.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: February 28, 2013, 03:18:22 am »

Better lesson: abandon only for terminal boredom, never for too much Fun to handle. Handle it or die like a dwarf.
Quite a challenge in evil biomes.
Depends. My latest fort (yes, in a zombifying evil biome) had one of my Hydragons annihilate the remains of an AI fragment's bus (spine) EIGHT TIMES before wiping out twelve of my Sapiocoatls in twenty seconds.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: February 28, 2013, 11:24:09 am »

So I decided I would, out of pity, tame and domesticate the Kobolds
I use a guide on locating kobolds
I use a mod to help locate them
After four save files made, I have the perfect kobold location, and the perfect spot of their above ground cave

I begin cage trapping them after overcoming a bad famine

Unfortunately I am amazed as to how they keep dodging the traps
I swore I had removed trap avoid tag from their file, and somehow, it was still there!

I then made a new world, face palming all the way
Then repeated the problems of "oh great, all kobold caves are too warm or too cold" (I'm a newbie, so I am still trying to manage an efficient and surviving fortress for a few years, without tantrums and too many legendary deaths during my first siege, so I am still trying to manage a heavily forrested, calm, warm fortress)

All in all, in my next embark, I am further amazed that somehow I added pet domesticated, to the giant dingoes, but not the regular ones

Y'know, if you edit the creature file in the object folder of the region you're playing in, you don't have to gen a new world.

For example: You've generated a world, but discovered your Kobolds are amphibious! (why are they amphibious, who knows) Let's say you want terrestrial kobolds, not merkobolds. You just have to go to the data/save/region[whichever region number you're trying to edit]/raw/objects folder and edit the file, then save it and restart DF.

Not sure what the file tree looks like in a Mac or Linux, or even if it's different.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: February 28, 2013, 06:28:03 pm »

Not sure what the file tree looks like in a Mac or Linux, or even if it's different.

The only differences between the windows and linux versions are binary files. The folder structure and text files are exactly the same.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: February 28, 2013, 06:43:17 pm »

So my Kobold taming operation was going well
I caught three kobolds in cages, which, I believe they were plain kobolds
Upon being caught, became kobold thieves

And then the kobolds began digging like moles fleeing from the apocalypse
They hadn't dug at all, until something set them off
Which I believe was the dwarf expedition leader, and the outpost liason loading cage traps
They've dug maybe 10 z layers already, which surprises me

And then underground I had a gremlin, who was fought off by being bludgeoned with a wooden crossbow
Which then a troglodyte ran upwards, and started attacking
Through manners which make no sense to me, it escaped to the surface, chasing two dwarves around.

I'm face palming for not securing that cavern sooner, and for not investing in security

EDIT: Turns out there is a separate kobold society nearby, that is sending those thieves I believe

"YOU HAVE STRUCK NATIVE SILVER"
No, the kobolds just struck native silver
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:53:09 pm by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

deve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: February 28, 2013, 10:16:14 pm »

When I discovered drawing boxes for designations worked not only withing a z-level but across z-levels...

I wasted so much time designating staircases to the cavern floor by floor. *facepalm*
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: February 28, 2013, 10:22:45 pm »

When I discovered drawing boxes for designations worked not only withing a z-level but across z-levels...

I wasted so much time designating staircases to the cavern floor by floor. *facepalm*

I had this same problem, and facepalmed
Then desk headed I believe
I facepalm each time when I still have the staircase habit.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: March 01, 2013, 12:44:19 am »

Didn't used to be that way mind. Had to click "> (enter) (enter) > (enter) (enter) >" more times than is healthy before the 2012 version, could be the wiki glosses over it.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: March 01, 2013, 10:27:45 am »

That change itself caused me more than one facepalm. It used to be that I'd mark out the rectangle on the floor above (or below) the one I wanted to dig, and then jump down (or up) one floor before pressing Enter. And then this change came in and I found myself accidentally digging out internal walls all over the place.
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 729