Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2128281 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9330 on: July 18, 2015, 01:54:31 pm »

And so, today I learn about magma men and the importance of using embark points on stone blocks.
Can magma men successfully destroy wooden walls?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: July 18, 2015, 08:47:53 pm »

And so, today I learn about magma men and the importance of using embark points on stone blocks.
No, but i believe wooden doors can burn.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: July 19, 2015, 01:55:24 am »

No, but i believe wooden doors can burn.
I don't think they burn while shut. Doors can't be built of of blocks, so that's not it anyway. It's probably drawbridges. They'll burn if any of the tiles where they lower to heat up sufficiently, even if the bridge is currently raised.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mikethete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9333 on: July 19, 2015, 12:55:13 pm »

I had created a lever operated drowning trap and when I created it made sure to label all the levers. 3 years later while a caravan is in the depot (which is linked to the drowning hall by a bridge) completely forgetting what lever operated my gladiator arena I end up pulling the drown lever and flooding out the caravan, after which I lost a legendary miner and legendary furnace operator in a tragic atom smasher accident.

G3Kappa

• Bay Watcher
  • You lick the Badger Boar tongue.
    • View Profile
    • Fieropa
« Reply #9334 on: July 21, 2015, 12:10:54 am »

Oh snap. Ooooh snap.

This fortress was flourishing. 125+ citizens, a squad of ten Axe Lords, a self-sustaining industry... And candy.

Let's talk about candy. I had just discovered the magma sea, and was ready to mine it, when a dwarf entered a strange mood.

"Bones, cloth, rough gems, cut gems and bars of metal!", he demanded. And those I provided. However, due to a bug, and I'm sure it's a bug since I did all that was in my power, he didn't want to grab the cut gems and cloth. And so time passed, and I eventually forgot about him, reassured that my Axe Lords would know what to do when the time came.

I couldn't be more wrong. He went berserk, and the first thing he did was destroy one door. And not a mere door, mind you, but the door that separated the stairwell from the water source which, you guess it, was directly connected to a river. Due to a human error, I had placed the floodgate just before the well's reservoir, and didn't even think about the flimsy wooden separée that separated my fort from a catastrophic demise.

My military squad is set to train near the third layer of caverns, to prevent any curious wildlife from accessing the main stairwell.

Said stairwell is now filled with 7/7 water, blocking my legendary Axedwarves inside. Luckily they have rations in their backpacks, but even those are starting to run short. But I've got to look at thing positively: now half of my fort feels relieved! That's a burden off my shoulders.

So what am I to do? The water is spilling in the cavern layer, and the uppermost layer of my fort looks safe for now. In the worst case scenario, I can floor the main stairwell and forget about it, while preparing a rescue mission for my precious militia. But this wouldn't stop the water from filling the caverns, and I'm not too happy about that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thus, before admitting defeat, I am trying one last thing: digging a tile-wide staircase from the surface to the magma sea, and redirecting the water pipe into it. If things go well, I might be able to drain the stairwell and build a wall where the original door stood. I don't know the effects of spilling a river into the abyss below, but it sounds !FUN! and doable. I'll keep you updated.

EDIT: I did it!

But I am also an idiot. I'll blame the fact that I've been playing DF all night, so I'm tired. Here's the thing: instead of channeling the water pipe, to drain the water away from it, I CHANNELED THE RIVER AGAIN! Luckily this reduced the water pressure by just the required amount for my dwarves to complete the bridge. Whew! In the meanwhile I have also sent a rescue team for my militia.

So now I have a river that's about to flood the magma sea. This is going to be fun.

EDIT2: Oh. The game is smarter than me. One single obsidian wall was formed, and that's it. Oh well, at least I didn't lose the fortress!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:40:26 am by G3Kappa »

funnykoala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: July 23, 2015, 02:12:40 pm »

lost all my tools after all my mining dwarves hit water and drowned, aand then. gohsts

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: July 25, 2015, 04:55:58 pm »

I accidentally deconstructed a bridge while people were walking on it.

Good times.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

HDSlugMoar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: July 26, 2015, 08:41:10 am »

I spent the entire first few months of one fortress creating statues out of chalk and cinnabar (most abundant nearby stone types). Then realized that
1) Despite being an awesome red color, cinnabar isn't worth much and has a higher weight then any other stone in the game.
2) The caravans that arrived HAD NO WAGONS, because i embarked far into the mountain.

Well, i hope my dwarves have fun spending their weekend hauling these fracking cinnabar statues back into my fort.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: July 29, 2015, 12:47:20 am »

Had to leave everything behind and seal my dwarves indoors to survive.
No wood or axes made it with us.
Zombies eat every trader that comes onto the screen.
No wood to smelt metal ore with.

... I just didn't have axecess to any wood or fuel, guys.

In hindsight, I might have been able to dig down to the magma. Drat.
The silver is responsible for this How?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: July 30, 2015, 03:36:07 pm »

I pierced an aquifer, woo!  With a 4x4 plug which... yeah, I know.  Fortunately it was only 1 tile deep.
...  Except that I carved out one of the bottom blocks while trying to get the dang thing to fall.  I thought a ramp was holding it up, but actually it was attached at the surface.  Derp.  Which was fine though since it was 4x4!  Unfortunately I expanded my stairway to 2x2.

The half-completed lower vaults started filling up with water, while my miners were okay in the upper vaults... for now.  Desperately I tried to wall off half the stairwell at the breach.  Which was a longshot, the water seemed to be 2/7 most of the time, but maybe it would have worked... except for Sigun freakin Momuzraluk.

This stupid dwarf had been hanging out near the bottom of the plug for no reason, and drowned when it fell.  I was going to recover her corpse later, I swear!  Well, it drifted into the breach.  And stayed.  Didn't fall down the stairs, nooo, just stayed in one of the two squares I needed to wall off...  Along with all her items.  I set them all to dump, and set a garbage dump, but all the surface dwarves were like "ew 2/7 water" and refused to do it.

4 of my founders managed to wall off the stairway, trapping themselves safely underground.  This was fine.  They had picks and stones, what more did they really need?  Maybe someday I'd pierce the aquifer again, but for now these four would carve out a self-sufficient home in the caverns.  No problem.

...  They absolutely refuse to pick or harvest the quarry bushes.  I tried d->p, I tried setting a harvest zone.  I activated all labors, I activated only plant gathering.  Nope, they're starving to death RIGHT NEXT to quarry bushes I set to harvest.

No wonder the goblins have conquered all but one of this civ's holdings.  Third embark's the charm, I hope...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TaintedWalrus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I am a walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9340 on: July 31, 2015, 03:07:55 pm »

Me: "go kill that alligator dwarf!"
Dwarf: "Right away!" *drops Crossbow*
Me: "what are you doing?"
Dwarf: *leaves crossbow behind and starts beating the crap out of the alligator*
Me: *face palm*
-The Walrus

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: July 31, 2015, 06:36:36 pm »

Dwarf: *leaves crossbow behind and starts beating the crap out of the alligator*
did the dwarf win?
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: August 01, 2015, 07:38:56 am »

Anyone with the hunting, mining or woodcutting labors active is a poor candidate for the militia, since their hidden and unchangeable civilian uniform conflicts with their military uniform. Thus, throwing down the civilian crossbow when called to duty.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: August 01, 2015, 11:46:41 pm »

Had a similar situation today when a cave crocodile crawled into my dining hall.  I nearly lost about 30 dwarves.

...To dehydration.  The crocodile killed a woodcutter, but got its toe cut up and his head dented.  The other dwarves, having a party, surged forward for vengeance as it collapsed from the pain.  They spent like 2-3 seasons crawling over each other, landing 65 pages of punches on its head.  More dwarves would enter the dining room to eat, and would instead join the punch-orgy.  Every blow "bruised" the muscle or fat, which apparently does nothing??  Except maybe keep it unconscious, as it kept waking up then collapsing immediately from the pain. 

At first it was hilarious, then they started getting hungry (and the combat skill gains were disappointing).  It apparently wasn't going to bleed out from its mangled toe, either.  I eventually created a squad of miners, who coup-de-grace'd it with one pick swing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: August 02, 2015, 09:41:21 am »

Had a similar situation today when a cave crocodile crawled into my dining hall.  I nearly lost about 30 dwarves.

...To dehydration.  The crocodile killed a woodcutter, but got its toe cut up and his head dented.  The other dwarves, having a party, surged forward for vengeance as it collapsed from the pain.  They spent like 2-3 seasons crawling over each other, landing 65 pages of punches on its head.  More dwarves would enter the dining room to eat, and would instead join the punch-orgy.  Every blow "bruised" the muscle or fat, which apparently does nothing??  Except maybe keep it unconscious, as it kept waking up then collapsing immediately from the pain. 

At first it was hilarious, then they started getting hungry (and the combat skill gains were disappointing).  It apparently wasn't going to bleed out from its mangled toe, either.  I eventually created a squad of miners, who coup-de-grace'd it with one pick swing.

You weren't alone on having a situation like that, except instead of a cave crocodile, it was actually a grizzly bear.  My fort sadly met its end to this.
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 729