Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Mech games?  (Read 7353 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Mech games?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 10:49:05 am »

It's fun when you set off 40-60LRMs and see that Summoner in the distance get covered in blasts. When you pack 140LRMs per salvo - enough to take down a Daishi before it gets into firing range - it ain't fun. That, or 64 Inferno SRMs. Of course, the Railgun can top that, but it's in a class of its own.

Gauss guns are all fine and good until you run out of ammo. At which point you'll wish you packed a PPC. Also, you don't get to inflict the kind of electronics damage the PPC can do. I'm all for the gausses in duels though - no reason to worry about ammo. Of course, the best ever setup is a light PPC and a gauss - benefits of both in one package. Let's see, an LPPC is 6 tons, a clan gauss is 12...  yep, enough space for some SRMs for close engagement on a Shadowcat. I might actually try that setup against a Daishi. I couldn't break it with my standart setup, ERPPC+2xERML+SRM4(120)+CMG(1200).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 10:53:14 am »

Doesn't an Atlas have more armour than a Daishi?

I don't know what kind of mech chassis can shoot 40-60 LRMs...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 11:17:00 am »

A Mad Cat can pack 2 LRM20 racks. A Catapult can pack the same, plus two LRM10s. A Longbow can pack 14 LRM10s, for twelve 140-missile salvos. That's game-wise, of course. I doubt any mech except the Yeoman could pack that many missiles in any realistic simulation.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 03:18:29 pm »

Too lazy to edit. Also, bump.

Did anyone play BattleTech Simulator (or what they have of it done)? It's free and not much in terms of graphics (well, it's more or less MW3 done on Torque), but looks very promising. It's too large for me to download right now, I don't have that much money on my ISP account...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 04:05:41 pm »

Being freebirth scum I wish I could use a pile driver-like melee weapon.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 10:49:13 pm »

A java based recreation of table-top BattleTech that can be used for multiplayer.

http://megamek.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main

I wish i could find my MW4 discs. Always liked the odd mech designs which actually worked due to how weird they were. Puma with just a long tom mounted on an arm or 20 flare launchers mounted on a Longbow. More conventionally i preferred the Daishi or Puma. Theres just something about dual ERPPCs on a light mech that was just too hard to resist.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 05:51:32 pm »

Stay away from the alpha strike button if you have more than six LRM20 arrays on board.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 10:59:03 pm »

Speaking of alpha strike, has anyone ever managed to overload their reactor by using one in a Mechwarrior game?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2008, 11:13:42 pm »

Yes.  I loaded a range of medium/large ER/pulse lasers on a Daishi in MW3, and thinking the late game snow map would help cool me off, hit the alpha strike when I targeted the enemy commander.

It didn't occur to me that faster heat dissipation doesn't decrease the raw heat produced in the first place.  I detonated.  Instantly.

Also, thanks to this thread I'm playing MW4 Mercs again.  Died on the first mission when my lance got hung up on level architecture and I was PPCed by the defending Puma.  Almost had him too.  Man I hate Jenners.  Or Owens as I guess they're really called.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:15:25 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2008, 01:32:13 am »

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/ - MW Crysis mod

I think their site might be down atm, either that or my computer is seriously rooted.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2008, 02:05:56 am »

Just to tick people off:
In MW3 multiplayer I used to load out a small scout with a load of lasers, then rush into a clump of players and detonate. It worked rather well when playing teams, softening up some of the bigger targets.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2008, 02:44:27 am »

Just to tick people off:
In MW3 multiplayer I used to load out a small scout with a load of lasers, then rush into a clump of players and detonate. It worked rather well when playing teams, softening up some of the bigger targets.

Why have I never thought of doing that?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2008, 03:16:40 am »

Just to tick people off:

Why have I never thought of doing that?

Because, like me, you are not a team player and enjoy scoring kills of your own much more.

That is pretty damn funny though.  Never even occured to me.

By the way, does anyone else insist on calling mechs by the names MW2 gave them?  To me, the best heavy mech in the galaxy will always be called the Timberwolf.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2008, 04:11:14 am »

MW2 didn't give them those names.  Those are just the correct names for clan mechs.  The names the clans actually use.  The Inner Sphere call the Timberwolf a Mad Cat cause it looks like a Catapult with arms and have various other names for Clan mechs.  Just like American names for Japanese fighters in WW2.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2008, 04:59:48 am »

Speaking of alpha strike, has anyone ever managed to overload their reactor by using one in a Mechwarrior game?

That would be why my warning. I not only overlheated the reactor, it turned into fusion plasma, melted straight through my mech's chassi and detonated in a lovely mushroom cloud between the mech's legs. Making a tiny glass crater with some charred metal chunks in it.

addendum: Normal overheating only has the back of your mech's chassi blow out in a crescent flame while the whole thing topples.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 05:01:34 am by Cajoes »
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6