Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 179830 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 04:56:29 pm »

The crusades did not happen because the Muslims had a different religion.

It happened because they were different. had resources that made many European kings rich.

I think a good question would be "If there was no religion, would all those people have died?"

I think I can say yes.
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 04:57:57 pm »

It happened because they were different.

Well, actually, they happened because the Christians wanted the Holy Lands.

You know, those places considered holy (ie. of religious significance) to the Christian world?
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 04:58:32 pm »

They happened because of oil.

Can we add "You're argument isn't original" to "Arguments that are not original"?

You can't have an unoriginal argument but you can't point out unoriginal arguments either?  How the hell is that supposed to work?  This just in, it's against the law to steal but also against the law to enforce that law.

I know, isn't it beautiful?

Best part: there's nearly no such thing as an original argument.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 04:59:24 pm »

You know, those places considered holy (ie. of religious significance) to the Christian world?

No, that was there justification.

A justification that they could have replaced very easily.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 04:59:42 pm »

I belive the crusades were more economically motivated.

Why am i doing this...?

For what reason, do I ask, you think this? There was no economic incentive to gain, or so my (limited, mind you) research has told me.

NINJAEDIT: What, resources? You mean the resorces the Muslim traders were already TRADING to the European Kings?
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 05:01:27 pm »

If you really think that kings of Europe invaded to get some sandy tombs... You are silly.

I belive the crusades were more economically motivated.

Why am i doing this...?

For what reason, do I ask, you think this? There was no economic incentive to gain, or so my (limited, mind you) research has told me.

NINJAEDIT: What, resources? You mean the resorces the Muslim traders were already TRADING to the European Kings?

Yes.

Why am i doing this...?

This whole thing is a bad idea and I am sure I am just as wrong as you/everyone else. Also, it really has no baring on the thread. So I have no idea.
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2010, 05:02:15 pm »

No, that was there justification.

A justification that they could have replaced very easily.

So, you're saying that the Crusades just happened because the Christians just didn't like the colour of the Muslim's skin?

Damn, you must think that the world's rulers were as stupid as you are.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2010, 05:03:25 pm »

Hey, can we add: No personal insults. To the rules?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2010, 05:03:38 pm »

Official Suggestion

Somebody cite a source about why the Crusades were fought, or drop it. Or we get a lock.

I'd add Personal Attacks, but it really shouldn't be necessary. It's the first damn bullet in the Forum Guidelines, which apply here as well as they do everywhere.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:05:24 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2010, 05:05:00 pm »

Wikipedia

The Crusades originally had the goal of recapturing Jerusalem and the Holy Land from Muslim rule and their campaigns were launched in response to a call from the Christian Byzantine Empire for help against the expansion of the Muslim Seljuk Turks into Anatolia.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2010, 05:05:17 pm »

I suggest you change that to drop it because it has no real barring on the thread. And because I foresee a source war.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2010, 05:08:34 pm »

First Crusade: Political
The immediate cause of the First Crusade was the Byzantine emperor Alexios I's appeal to Pope Urban II for mercenaries to help him resist Muslim advances into territory of the Byzantine Empire.

Alexio was not friends with the pope at the time, this gave the pope leverage over him.

a Christian "just war" might enhance the wider standing of an aggressively ambitious leader of Europe as Gregory saw himself. The northerners would be cemented to Rome, and their troublesome knights could see the only kind of action that suited them.

So pope gains armies. And stops his allies from fighting each other.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2010, 05:09:28 pm »

So, you're saying that the Crusades just happened because the Christians just didn't like the colour of the Muslim's skin?

Damn, you must think that the world's rulers were as stupid as you are.

[counter-insult removed]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:15:28 pm by Toady One »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2010, 05:10:27 pm »

The Transcendent Tyrant has been muted for a week for having a generally abrasive attitude in a bunch of threads and failing to heed warnings.  Please amplify your relaxed states.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2010, 05:10:38 pm »

They didn't have TV, they didn't have phone, their only source of entertainment was probably food and (maybe) board games.

I bet war was some sort of entertainment for king back then. Also good for economy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 194